United_Postal_Service

Which nation tech tree has destroyers with short range torpedoes?

15 comments in this topic

2,016 posts
9,949 battles

The Soviet destroyers, but as a kind reminder gunboat destroyers are much more difficult to master comparing with ordinary torpedo boats.

[KOREA]
Moderator, Beta Tester, Community Contributor
1,121 posts
10,282 battles

The soviet destroyer main branch which is Khabarovsk tree

[MALD]
544 posts
14,555 battles

Khabarovsk's torpedo is nearly unusable, too slow (less than 60 knots) and too short (6km) for effective usage. The French DDs' torps are better, you have a bit of stealth torpedo window and it's fast enough.

Or, if you want the ultimate yolo experience, the Paolo Emilio is the one.

9 posts
12 hours ago, rookieFTW said:

Khabarovsk's torpedo is nearly unusable, too slow (less than 60 knots) and too short (6km) for effective usage. The French DDs' torps are better, you have a bit of stealth torpedo window and it's fast enough.

Or, if you want the ultimate yolo experience, the Paolo Emilio is the one.

Well I would rather rush close to enemy's broadside and make sure all the torpedoes hit than sniping them at medium to long range giving them a chance to dodge and risking hitting my allies in the way

[MALD]
544 posts
14,555 battles
22 minutes ago, United_Postal_Service said:

Well I would rather rush close to enemy's broadside and make sure all the torpedoes hit

In this case I would recommend you the French DD line, you can have a look at the WoWs wiki regarding their stats compared to the Khabarovsk line, they are the line design for yolo/ambush.

The French has higher speed, better speed boost, a hull that reduces damage taken, and what you are more concerned about, better torps. In T9 the French has a total of 10 torps, 8km range, 75 knots and a damage of 18400 per hit. While the Soviet has 9 torps, 8km range, 60 knots and a damage of 15100 per hit. The difference is pretty obvious here right? Not to mention the Khabarovsk which has an even worse torpedo, 10 torps, 6km, 53 knots and a 19500 damage (although better in damage, but 6km in T10 is nearly impossible to use). 

Currently the Soviet line is lean towards a playstyle of long range HE spamming, while the French can do this as well, they excel better in the ambush playstyle. 

To be honest, you can avoid hitting allies by: 1. making sure there's no allied ship in your range/sailing in between you and your target, if you are in front of the team pretty sure this criteria is met easily. 2. Dump all the torps into the enemy precisely, letting them eat all the metal fishes. 

9 posts
4 hours ago, rookieFTW said:

In this case I would recommend you the French DD line, you can have a look at the WoWs wiki regarding their stats compared to the Khabarovsk line, they are the line design for yolo/ambush.

The French has higher speed, better speed boost, a hull that reduces damage taken, and what you are more concerned about, better torps. In T9 the French has a total of 10 torps, 8km range, 75 knots and a damage of 18400 per hit. While the Soviet has 9 torps, 8km range, 60 knots and a damage of 15100 per hit. The difference is pretty obvious here right? Not to mention the Khabarovsk which has an even worse torpedo, 10 torps, 6km, 53 knots and a 19500 damage (although better in damage, but 6km in T10 is nearly impossible to use). 

Currently the Soviet line is lean towards a playstyle of long range HE spamming, while the French can do this as well, they excel better in the ambush playstyle. 

To be honest, you can avoid hitting allies by: 1. making sure there's no allied ship in your range/sailing in between you and your target, if you are in front of the team pretty sure this criteria is met easily. 2. Dump all the torps into the enemy precisely, letting them eat all the metal fishes. 

Many thanks! and btw is there any significant shortcomings of the frenchies? All I know is that they have modest detectability and sluugish torpedo reload, is there anything else I need to avoid doing?

[TF44]
[TF44]
300 posts
21,369 battles

The French destroyers have poor AA.

If you are new to Destroyer game play, I would suggest the RN line to cut your teeth on.

British destroyers are not the best at anything. The guns, torpedoes, AA, stealth and manoeuvrability are all ok for the ships in each tier. By playing these ships you will get a good grounding in Destroyer game play which will transition across to the other national DD lines.

Edited by Taipan17

[MALD]
544 posts
14,555 battles
8 hours ago, United_Postal_Service said:

Many thanks! and btw is there any significant shortcomings of the frenchies? All I know is that they have modest detectability and sluugish torpedo reload

As Taipan has stated, the French DDs have poor to none AA, and most importantly, no smoke. Therefore French DD captains need excellent positioning skills and map awareness to use the ambush playstyle. Its a high risk high reward style of line. Oh by the way their reload is one of the best in class, Kleber has a 77 second stock reload while others are around 90-120 second stock reload 

is there anything else I need to avoid doing?

Avoid overextending your ship. As you have no smoke, the only survival tool you have once getting focused is speed. 

You can take Taipan's advice to try out the UK DD line if you are new to the DD class. As they have short duration short cooldown smokes, so you always have a emergency cloak when things go south. And UK DDs are one of the best cap contesters, so you can learn cap contesting during the UK DD grind. 

9 posts
17 hours ago, Taipan17 said:

The French destroyers have poor AA.

If you are new to Destroyer game play, I would suggest the RN line to cut your teeth on.

British destroyers are not the best at anything. The guns, torpedoes, AA, stealth and manoeuvrability are all ok for the ships in each tier. By playing these ships you will get a good grounding in Destroyer game play which will transition across to the other national DD lines.

8 hours ago, rookieFTW said:

As Taipan has stated, the French DDs have poor to none AA, and most importantly, no smoke. Therefore French DD captains need excellent positioning skills and map awareness to use the ambush playstyle. Its a high risk high reward style of line. Oh by the way their reload is one of the best in class, Kleber has a 77 second stock reload while others are around 90-120 second stock reload 

Avoid overextending your ship. As you have no smoke, the only survival tool you have once getting focused is speed. 

You can take Taipan's advice to try out the UK DD line if you are new to the DD class. As they have short duration short cooldown smokes, so you always have a emergency cloak when things go south. And UK DDs are one of the best cap contesters, so you can learn cap contesting during the UK DD grind. 

Thanks y'all! I play at lower tiers so there is no aircraft carriers at all, and I usually don't change full speed until I need to avoid torpedoes. I'm not an expert at smoking or anything, but I will get my hands on british destroyers to get the hang of it.

[MALD]
544 posts
14,555 battles
2 hours ago, United_Postal_Service said:

I play at lower tiers so there is no aircraft carriers at all

Ah my bad. I did my recommendation based on tech line progression and high tier grinding...

Then I will wholeheartedly recommend you to buy the Derzki, just for the sh*t and giggles. 10 4km torps with a 22 second reload, the ultimate yolo boat of low tiers. But in my opinion the fun part dies after Derzki, the rest of the line is meh and powercrept. 

9 posts
7 hours ago, rookieFTW said:

Ah my bad. I did my recommendation based on tech line progression and high tier grinding...

Then I will wholeheartedly recommend you to buy the Derzki, just for the sh*t and giggles. 10 4km torps with a 22 second reload, the ultimate yolo boat of low tiers. But in my opinion the fun part dies after Derzki, the rest of the line is meh and powercrept. 

Oh okay, sounds pretty powerful on a low tier DD. So....should I still grind the brits ?

Edited by United_Postal_Service

[MALD]
544 posts
14,555 battles

So....should I still grind the brits ?

Yes, the whole UK DD line is good

9 posts
7 hours ago, rookieFTW said:

Yes, the whole UK DD line is good

Thanks. I just played the soviet DDs and the 9 torpedos a time are monstrous. It seems to have poor HP pool as I never finish a battle with more than 50% of my total HP. But I still managed to get at least 3 kills per battle. I'll try out the brits next. Again, thanks.