Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
S4pp3R

We need to have a chat about New York...

13 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,408
[151ST]
Member
3,556 posts
11,949 battles

Ok, honestly, she's a good BB.

She's reliable and only really let down but her chonkiness, her guns are great and if you can catch shells in her belt while angled she'll bounce a chunk.

I have heard so many times over the years she was hot garbage but I have no idea what that's based on.

I'm currently averaging 100k in her, even in T7 matches...

So what are your stories of New York? Because everything of the US BB line so far has been solid and good.

I don't know where the hate is coming from, at this rate I'll be rating them well when I do the BLUFs... I'll be honest, I'm struggling to see any T5 BB as 'bad'...

So am I getting it wrong because I'm a decent player? 

Edited by S4pp3R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
833
[SMOKE]
Member
2,506 posts
18,035 battles

I think she's decent , and I had no trouble piloting her. Of course her one disadvantage will always be her speed , which mean she can easily be countered when facing speedy CL & CA and even some lower tier ones. She can hold her own but right now the biggest enemy is always those 2 CV game, not that the BB cannot Tank some damage but its what the meta had done to the team, mid and low tier Cruiser and DD are forced to adopt back lane and group up approach , and thus reducing their ability to support, and without enough of a support, a slow lumbering BB can be a liability.

Edited by Mechfori
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,391
[MRI]
Member
3,791 posts
16,857 battles

It has been ages since I played New York, but I didn't have good memories of her.

She just felt too slow and clumsy, which is strange because I actually liked Wyoming and New Mexico.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
804
[LYNMF]
Beta Tester
1,982 posts
6,591 battles

NY is okayish at its best of it currently but it was a godsend back in the days for T4 to T6 when usn vs ijn was a thing. RTS CV Fear of NY. Nowadays .. its hot garbage tho.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
134
[AN-DO]
Member
368 posts
7,798 battles

Not bad. I performed better in her than Kongo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,625
[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,014 posts
13,728 battles

New York felt like a downgrade over Wyoming imo. I mean Wyoming is one of the BB with the largest salvo volume at T4 (ties with Gangut & Nikolai). On the other hand, New York's salvo volume is just the average at T5.

However this is when things start to get rough. What is the notable gimmick that New York has? Here are the oversimplified review on what gimmick her contemporaries have (premiums are excluded):

  • Iron Duke has the "standard" British HE shells.
  • König is fastest BB at T5 (Kongou & Pyotr are BC). Her guns also have fast reload at 25 s .But unlike many German BBs, her dispersion is actually good. And of course good secondary range.
  • Kongou is the fastest at T5. Her gun range is superb (exactly the same as Bismarck's).
  • Pyotr Veliky is 2nd only to Kongou in terms of top speed. But her bow is literally impenetrable. Her guns turn quickly at just 45 s for 180 degree.
  • Bretagne is mostly similar with New York. But her middle turret faces forward, which is more suitable for the lower tier meta.

As Lawrence said above, her AA is no longer noteworthy. Good against T4 CVs, but bad against T6 CVs. Literally all T5 tech tree BBs are the same in that regard. Her accuracy is decent, however König has the same thing but with faster reload, and better ballistic (and at least fast enough to reposition when needed).

While I never like New York at all, I still ground through her normally. But if I have to choose one T5 BB that I actually like, it's definitely not New York. My brain chooses König, by my heart chooses Kongou. Being a weeb & wehraboo is a real struggle.

Edited by Reinhard_of_Avercland
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
138
[IJN]
Member
312 posts
5,152 battles
5 hours ago, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

My brain chooses König, by my heart chooses Kongou. Being a weeb & wehraboo is a real struggle.

Why Not Both? / Why Don't We Have Both? | Know Your Meme

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
1,274 posts
13,252 battles

I heard you guys like gun stats so here's some gun stats:

Penetration at 12.0 km
439 New York
433 P Velikiy
431 Kongo
336 Koenig
316 Bretagne
274 Iron Duke

Broadside Alpha
103,000 New York
99,000 Iron Duke
95,000 Bretagne
84,000 Pyotr Velikiy
84,000 Koenig
81,600 Kongou

Sustained DPM
202,623 New York
198,000 Iron Duke
193,846 Koenig
190,000 Bretagne
163,200 Kongou
152,727 Pyotr Velikiy

Shell Flight Times (18.0 km)
10.6 Koenig
10.7 Pyotr Velikiy
11.0 New York
11.4 Kongou
12.6 Bretagne
13.0 Iron Duke


New York has some impressive firepower.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1 post
5,263 battles
5 hours ago, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

New York felt like a downgrade over Wyoming imo. I mean Wyoming is one of the BB with the largest salvo volume at T4 (ties with Gangut & Nikolai). On the other hand, New York's salvo volume is just the average at T5.

However this is when things start to get rough. What is the notable gimmick that New York has? Here are the oversimplified review on what gimmick her contemporaries have (premiums are excluded):

  • Iron Duke has the "standard" British HE shells.
  • König is fastest BB at T5 (Kongou & Pyotr are BC). Her guns also have fast reload at 25 s .But unlike many German BBs, her dispersion is actually good. And of course good secondary range.
  • Kongou is the fastest at T5. Her gun range is superb (exactly the same as Bismarck's).
  • Pyotr Veliky is 2nd only to Kongou in terms of top speed. But her bow is literally impenetrable. Her guns turn quickly at just 45 s for 180 degree.
  • Bretagne is mostly similar with New York. But her middle turret faces forward, which is more suitable for the lower tier meta.

As Lawrence said above, her AA is no longer noteworthy. Good against T4 CVs, but bad against T6 CVs. Literally all T5 tech tree BBs are the same in that regard. Her accuracy is decent, however König has the same thing but with faster reload, and better ballistic (and at least fast enough to reposition when needed).

While I never like New York at all, I still ground through her normally. But if I have to choose one T5 BB that I actually like, it's definitely not New York. My brain chooses König, by my heart chooses Kongou. Being a weeb & wehraboo is a real struggle.

POWER CREEP

Well, u have to remember that New York is a very old BB in terms of when it was added into the game. I think it was one of the first 2 t5 BBs in the game (Kongou being the other). At the time it was pretty ok, the only other competitor was Kongou, which had more speed while the NY had firepower. Nowadays though, the NY has suffered a lot of power creep. Her strong point of firepower is no longer special. On the other hand, the Kongou is still a very good ship as it has good firing angles, speed and decent gun performance and accuracy. And after CV rework.... well there went NY's "good AA" thing. She is, as u said completely average at facing CVs now. 

Edited by widowinblack_wotblitz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,408
[151ST]
Member
3,556 posts
11,949 battles
1 hour ago, Unraveler said:

New York has some impressive firepower.

That lines up with what I was going to say.

NYs firepower is really reliable. IMO Konig and Kongo overpen way more, and are less consistent because of it much of the time. (I really love Kongo but I found NY to be easier to get good numbers).

NY is just chonky, particularly when uptiered you notice the lack of speed (greatly helps with juking) and armour (you are overmatched in all sorts of places by all sorts of BBs).

6 hours ago, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

Bretagne is mostly similar with New York. But her middle turret faces forward, which is more suitable for the lower tier meta.

Call me odd but I actually prefer the rear bias. While it can be worse at the lower tiers and with that speed I find the times when you need to flip the turrets around in a hurry are more likely to be when you are on the run.

But anyways... I spose nothing further to do than finalise my assessment of her... ...

Still need a few more games I think.

Edited by S4pp3R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
799
[BLESS]
Member
1,461 posts
12,809 battles

New York is solid, particularly if you are an experienced player returning to her so you know what you're doing re. Angling, Aiming, Positioning, Shell Selection, and so forth...

Uptiered it's tough because of the slow speed. That's the only bad thing I have to say about the ship.

One of the few T5 with prem camo available. Worth it for 1k gold.

Screenshot (130).png

Edited by Rina_Pon
  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,408
[151ST]
Member
3,556 posts
11,949 battles
On 10/10/2020 at 8:43 PM, Rina_Pon said:

New York is solid, particularly if you are an experienced player returning to her so you know what you're doing re. Angling, Aiming, Positioning, Shell Selection, and so forth...

Uptiered it's tough because of the slow speed. That's the only bad thing I have to say about the ship.

One of the few T5 with prem camo available. Worth it for 1k gold.

Screenshot (130).png

Yeah I ended up picking it up, good idea... Although I swear her guns don't have paint on them...

I want to go back and play games comparing NY to her peers, Kongou is better on speed alone but I'll need to do some training rooms to 100% test gun reliability.

Other than that my thoughts are that her guns feel like the pen more than overpen compared to others and that it's easier to clock 100k in her over the others.

The reason this has all come up is that I'm in the process of rendering my CW Premiums vid, (woulda been done now if not for constant render errors) and am looking at doing BLUFs again.

Still have a stack of one-offs to do, but the Commonwealth vids are the most time consuming so it should be a matter of 'back to our regular programs'

But yeah, NY is a good ship IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
346
[BONED]
Member
790 posts
9,757 battles

Hate comes from the Anti-Liza Minnelli brigade who got messed up by google......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×