Sign in to follow this  
Paladinum

An AA mechanic I don't understand

11 comments in this topic

5,690 posts
9,498 battles

So how do AA guns pick targets?

This question came from the fact that sometimes I deal more than 5k AA damage to a single squadron (the AA damage counter says so), but no plane is shot down. And AFAIK, there is no aircraft in the game that has more than 3k HP.

The wiki sheds no light on that.

I don't understand how that works. I find it rather annoying because it feels inconsistent.

I'm new to this game so help pls?

Edited by Paladinum

[-CAT-]
3,409 posts
13,592 battles
3 hours ago, Paladinum said:

So how do AA guns pick targets?

They don't. Once the enemy squadron gets into your AA bubble, the AA guns will start shooting.

This question came from the fact that sometimes I deal more than 5k AA damage to a single squadron (the AA damage counter says so), but no plane is shot down. And AFAIK, there is no aircraft in the game that has more than 3k HP.

I don't understand how that works. I find it rather annoying because it feels inconsistent.

You are correct. One aircraft has less than 3k of HP.  But, WG did not mention that you have to multiply them by the number of aircrafts in a squadron.

shot-20_10.04_23_53.39-0370.thumb.jpg.57b6f9634f508848f9f1709b4f3f2079.jpgshot-20_10.04_23_47.36-0146.thumb.jpg.ee354d8b308497912e953431fad5fc98.jpg

1,590 * 8 = 12,750

shot-20_10.04_23_49.59-0876.thumb.jpg.a710b894bc11fbf87caebaf6cf5755e1.jpg

After each attack, squadron HP also decrease.

1,590 * 4 = 6,360

Once the squadron comes in within your AA bubble, only one aircraft will recieve constant and consistent damage. The 100 ~ 500 - ish consistent damage.

But if the squadron went straight into a flack burst, most, or the entire squadron will recieve damage. Hence the 5k ++ damage.

shot-20_10.05_00_06.23-0600.thumb.jpg.6ab577b8c77fcccc5c50b6acb12c9b99.jpgshot-20_10.05_00_06.25-0978.thumb.jpg.c31e25325758e3b7850f94e093011d29.jpg

The wiki sheds no light on that.

sabotage.png.1a8d5a9cc08c7e3f84c3984a3c16442a.png

Edited by S0und_Theif

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,497 posts
11,881 battles

Adding to the post above, if there are other ships with AA firing at the same squadron, the actual killing of a plane works like the killing of a ship - whoever gets the last tick of damage gets the kill.  This means you could be doing lots of damage but have a heap of actual plane kills taken by another player, it just comes down to chance as to who gets that last tick on a particular plane.

5,690 posts
9,498 battles

Okay, then, How does AA damage get distributed amongst a hostile squadron?

The wiki says that AA damage will start with the last plane in a squadron. That means the AA shoots at the last plane first, and thus, my AA should be able to kill aircrafts in that squadron one by one, not in a burst, in case the CV just flies around and dodges all my flak explosions.

But that clearly isn't the case. If my AA deals more than enough damage to kill one plane then I should score at least one plane kill during an attack, without flak explosions.

So AA damage is distributed amongst all planes in the squadron instead? Or it chooses random planes in a squadron (excluding the attacking wing)? 

From the wiki:

Continuous damage is applied to the last plane in the squadron.

Is this sentence inaccurate?

Edited by Paladinum

5,690 posts
9,498 battles

Either I'm stoopeed or AA mechanics are weird.

:Smile_hiding:

Edited by Paladinum

[-CAT-]
3,409 posts
13,592 battles
5 hours ago, Paladinum said:

Is this sentence inaccurate?

Okay, then, How does AA damage get distributed amongst a hostile squadron?

The wiki says that AA damage will start with the last plane in a squadron. That means the AA shoots at the last plane first, and thus, my AA should be able to kill aircrafts i nthat squadron one by one, not in a burst, in case the CV just flies around and dodges all my flak explosions.

The sentence is accurate.

Every time when I attack a ship, the last aircraft that will attack the ship in the squadron will be the first one to take AA continuous damage.

This also makes the first attacking squadron, attack at full strength.

But that clearly isn't the case. If my AA deals more than enough damage to kill one plane then I should score at least one plane kill during an attack, without flak explosions.

So AA damage is distributed amongst all planes in the squadron instead? Or it chooses random planes in a squadron (excluding the attacking wing)?

You should be able to kill planes. It just depends if the ship's AA is strong or good(?). :fish_book: You just can't squad wipe.

In the burst's case, AA damage is distributed. Last planes receives the greatest damage while the first planes deals the least (sometimes none) damage.

In the continuous AA's case, it's always the last plane that receives the short end of the stick.

Either I'm stoopeed or AA mechanics are weird.

Mechanic.

Edited by S0und_Theif

[TLS]
4,851 posts
21,287 battles
3 minutes ago, S0und_Theif said:

You should be able to kill planes. It just depends if the ship's AA is strong or good(?). :fish_book: You just can't squad wipe.

Last night my Shima AA was OP. 24 nom noms. Imagine that number if it were a Gearing or better.

[-CAT-]
3,409 posts
13,592 battles
19 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Last night my Shima AA was OP. 24 nom noms. Imagine that number if it were a Gearing or better.

I think it's patch 0.9.9.

At the moment you can kill more than what you used to.

Edited by S0und_Theif

5,690 posts
9,498 battles

Well, I guess those squadrons did get damaged from flak explosions. I just couldn't see it happen clearly.

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,014 posts
13,714 battles

Some planes are also more tanky than the average. But these tanky planes usually get held down by the very slow plane build time, and rather slow flight speed (a.k.a. the Brits).

The rule of thumb for CV these days is to strike as quickly as possible in order to keep the loss as few as possible. I mean just like playing surface ships, you don't want to be under attack for too long (unless your CV is Enterprise). And this is what makes CV incredibly frustrating to play. On one hand, you're hard pressed to rack up the damage counter, or you're useless. But at the same time you have to be very picky on who you should/could attack. Because unlike guns & torps, your planes won't bust through a group of ships & reach the target as the former do.

5,690 posts
9,498 battles
4 hours ago, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

Some planes are also more tanky than the average. But these tanky planes usually get held down by the very slow plane build time, and rather slow flight speed (a.k.a. the Brits).

The rule of thumb for CV these days is to strike as quickly as possible in order to keep the loss as few as possible. I mean just like playing surface ships, you don't want to be under attack for too long (unless your CV is Enterprise). And this is what makes CV incredibly frustrating to play. On one hand, you're hard pressed to rack up the damage counter, or you're useless. But at the same time you have to be very picky on who you should/could attack. Because unlike guns & torps, your planes won't bust through a group of ships & reach the target as the former do.

Don't know why you commented all of this (because it's irrelevant), but... okay.

Sign in to follow this