You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
war4sure

American destroyers,any good?

15 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

I have been into over 180 battles with Japanese warships. With the upcoming arrival of American BB's in the next patch, I decided to start grinding the American tech tree.While I unlocked Chester in preparation of the battleships, I also unlocked Sampson because 

a) Never played destroyer before

b) Need to balance my fleet collection right now(currently dominated by Japanese battleship and cruiser)

I already saw American DD in combat before,been destroying them and also get rekt'd by them. I just went into one battle with the Sampson right now, and I wonder if American DD line was worth it?Is there any key advantages it had compared to Japanese or Russian DD?

Beta Tester
172 posts
58 battles

They are worse at first [...]

I have to object, Clemson is capable of some amazing things even in my hands (which *ehm* do not grow out of my shoulders). Generally the use of low-tier USN DD is highly situational, though.

UPD:

I wonder if American DD line was worth it?Is there any key advantages it had compared to Japanese or Russian DD?

Sure they are. I've only got up to Mahan (and played Gearing as Flyfire), and they're just as fun to play as their IJN counterparts, just different.

And for the obvious part. Advantages are pretty obvious: fast turret traverse, better ROF, faster torps. Disadvantages: no cloaking devices, short torp range (which gets better with higher tiers, but not as good as IJN).

Edited by Kempf

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

I have to object, Clemson is capable of some amazing things even in my hands (which *ehm* do not grow out of my shoulders). Generally the use of low-tier USN DD is highly situational, though.

They are objectively worse at the start only because their guns still take 6 - 8s to reload and those torpedoes. Yes, you can do wonders with it, but at those tiers, an IJN DD can do better. That stops at T6 because you kill Mutsukis and Hatsuharus easily.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

I disagree that they're objectively worse. While they have a shorter range, those torpedoes travel fast and the launchers mounted on either side means a bit of skill lets you unload many torps a lot quicker than IJN DDs of the lower tier, at the cost of having to approach closer to targets (though given how poor secondary fire is on battleships in the lower tiers, this isn't a problem). 

It isn't until you get up to T6 and get the central swivel mount that you see a shift from torpedo play to gun use on USN DDs.

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

I disagree that they're objectively worse. While they have a shorter range, those torpedoes travel fast and the launchers mounted on either side means a bit of skill lets you unload many torps a lot quicker than IJN DDs of the lower tier, at the cost of having to approach closer to targets (though given how poor secondary fire is on battleships in the lower tiers, this isn't a problem). 

It isn't until you get up to T6 and get the central swivel mount that you see a shift from torpedo play to gun use on USN DDs.

It is objectively worse. Higher detection range, almost same gun reload as IJN DDs and shorter torpedo range. 

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

On a side note though, I got more victory playing a USN vessel then I would with IJN ones. Historical accuracy much?

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

I already saw American DD in combat before,been destroying them and also get rekt'd by them.

I just went into one battle with the Sampson right now, and I wonder if American DD line was worth it?

Is there any key advantages it had compared to Japanese or Russian DD?

American DDs are far superior to JP and the single RU DD when it comes to clearing the ocean from DD and CL infestations.

Good mobility, great guns and hard hitting close range torpedoes make them perfect for hunting down smaller vessels.

My usual strategy is to take out small vessels like DDs and CLs first before I single out targets of opportunity like lonely BBs.

Spot the BB, align a course that makes it hard for it to shoot me, pop smoke once he spots me and then pump it full of torpedoes.

As for the Sampson...

... it gets the job done :3SHJOtN4.jpg

Edited by Retia

Beta Tester
320 posts
29 battles

On a side note though, I got more victory playing a USN vessel then I would with IJN ones. Historical accuracy much?

The answer is...

PROPAGANDA USN!

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

USN DD's favour gunnery over torps and this suits my play style better than the IJN DD's which favour torps over gunnery. There is also a possibility that the USN DD's will get a significant buff due to the buff in damage from HE shells in the next patch.

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,096 battles

I played JP DDs for a long time before trying out the US DD.

Yes US DD can really put the hurt on other ships regardless on what class. The thing that I struggle to come to terms would be their bad camo and short range torpedoes.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

The thing that I struggle to come to terms would be their bad camo and short range torpedoes.

Yeah, smoke screen skill for the Kaleu is a must have.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

American DDs are far superior to JP and the single RU DD when it comes to clearing the ocean from DD and CL infestations.

Good mobility, great guns and hard hitting close range torpedoes make them perfect for hunting down smaller vessels.

My usual strategy is to take out small vessels like DDs and CLs first before I single out targets of opportunity like lonely BBs.

Spot the BB, align a course that makes it hard for it to shoot me, pop smoke once he spots me and then pump it full of torpedoes.

I couldn't agree more on that , though I really like using torps against bug ships, they are really situational and require a lot of patience and skill to use, never mind having to get close to suicidal ranges even on Jap destroyers to make sure they hit.

American DD's have more torps that are able to fire at once (bigger salvos = bugger chance of hit) and they are also faster, plus the guns are quite useful in peppering enemy ships while they are distracted, Jap guns are just too painful to use effectively in my opinion.

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

I couldn't agree more on that , though I really like using torps against bug ships, they are really situational and require a lot of patience and skill to use, never mind having to get close to suicidal ranges even on Jap destroyers to make sure they hit.

American DD's have more torps that are able to fire at once (bigger salvos = bugger chance of hit) and they are also faster, plus the guns are quite useful in peppering enemy ships while they are distracted, Jap guns are just too painful to use effectively in my opinion.

The Gremy does have one thing going for it. With the concealment perk, it can shoot at max range without getting spotted. 

Beta Tester
545 posts
2,381 battles

one thing the us dd do better is shooting , i find a good tactic , is hide behind island or smoke and lob , lots and lots of HE at people