Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Verytis

Should CV Fighters be able to stealth spot ships?

8 comments in this topic

[KAMI]
429 posts
5,751 battles

Had some ranked matches in my Mino as usual. A KM CV passed near me on its way to strike 1 of my teammates.

I knew he dropped fighters in front of my heading, cause I stayed spotted, just can't see them.

So I went closer, since I wanted to go there anyways.

And...I waited and watched as I approached...until the fighters finally showed up 4.9KM away.

I knew they were super stealthy but that thing can go 2KM into my 6.9KM long range AA before it starts getting shot down. 

The long range AA was already questionable, but now it is a straight up weakness because its too big.

This is because WG used a backwards balancing that nerfed the air detection of many CL after they realised those CLs had AA range that surpassed their air detection.

At this concealment, these planes literally stealth-spot every cruiser in the game.

Despite supposed to be an AA ship, CV forces me to play extremely cautious.

Not because I get bombed, but because shells just really like to travel in my direction.

So yh...do you think CV Fighters be able to stealth spot ships from inside their AA range?

Edited by Verytis
  • Cool 1

[FORCE]
2,297 posts
12,085 battles

I play radar Mino, and yes I don't like when this happens.

Mino relies on uninterrupted stealth in order to perform well, and catch DDs with their pants down.

This doesn't even do any good for CV.

[NCOTS]
352 posts
10,789 battles

The planes are only visible at 5km? damn, anywhere to check this?

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,406 posts
26,328 battles
Just now, rookieFTW said:

The planes are only visible at 5km? damn, anywhere to check this?

the german FTs yeah, they have disgustingly low concealment

• Cool 2

[TLS]
4,039 posts
20,239 battles

If planes can stealth spot, I demand my stealth firing Zao back.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[MRI]
3,501 posts
15,129 battles
4 hours ago, Verytis said:

And...I waited and watched as I approached...until the fighters finally showed up 4.9KM away.

Just to be clear, only the German fighters have this level of concealment. Other nations' fighters have the standard detection radius.

Why this is so I have no idea.

[KAMI]
429 posts
5,751 battles
8 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

Just to be clear, only the German fighters have this level of concealment. Other nations' fighters have the standard detection radius.

Why this is so I have no idea.

Its not limited to German. I think even the Haku has a small stealth spotting gap.

And putting fighters at the edge of Mino's AA, will mean you keep getting spotted every few seconds, for like 20 to 30secs.

Meanwhile I had another case of eating multiple citadels because fighters spotting me through islands, where I couldn't spot them back.

Mino's long range AA is literally a POS and I'd prefer the 6KM Russian AA of Smolensk anyday. Typical WG's Biased balancing.

[MRI]
3,501 posts
15,129 battles
1 hour ago, Verytis said:

Its not limited to German. I think even the Haku has a small stealth spotting gap. 

Nah it doesn't.

You can test this in the training room. Make an immobile enemy bot CV and turn on their weapons. Sail up to him but slow down when you see him and take note at what distance you start seeing his CAP fighters. For Haku you can spot his CAP fighters at about 7.5-8km, once taking into account render delay. Same goes for the Midway. Manfred on the other hand I had to sail within about 5.5km or so before I started seeing his fighters. You can also test this in reverse by using a Haku and dropping a fighter at a bot Mino's max AA. The Mino will shoot fighters at it strays into the AA radius, meaning it sees the fighters. I don't have Manfred so I can't test that yet.

If a Haku is stealth spotting your Mino it means he is using his torpedo bomber squadron and has a full concealment build. The IJN torpedo bombers have a gimmick of being the stealthiest strike aircraft in the game.  With a full concealment build the Haku's TBs can get something like 6km concealment, so by using TBs  a Haku can stealth spot your Mino. He can't do that with his fighters though. So far only the Germans have that ability.

Sign in to follow this