Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
S0und_Theif

Albemarle and Cheshire possible X-turret?

8 comments in this topic

[-CAT-]
2,253 posts
11,218 battles

I was just wondering (sometimes bothered), is it possible to mount an X-turret on Albemarle? Judging from the space behind the ship model, both Albemarle and Chesire has "enough(?)" space to mount an X-turret.

Of course some AA will be removed and some metal will be shaved to make room for the additional turret.

shot-20_09.25_00_07.32-0932.thumb.jpg.f57ea693dca22ea27df26a635c92cd13.jpgshot-20_09.25_00_07.53-0917.thumb.jpg.dff79df2e5a388e0114d7ad71c85a4c0.jpg

How did I came up with this thought?

Using Fiji and Mysore (to be released in the future) as reference. Mysore (formerly Nigeria) X-turret was removed to make room for more AA in '43.

Mysore is T6 and Fiji is T7. So Albemarle and Chesire (ABY) is T8 and Albemarle and Chesire (ABXY) is T9.

Thoughts? :fish_book:

Edited by S0und_Theif
  • Cool 1

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,406 posts
26,328 battles

what people think turrets look like 

The Modelling News: Preview:Takom's 72nd scale Battleship Yamato no. 2 main  turret is gunning for an August release...

what the turrets actually look like 
Amazon.com: Fujimi 020358 Battleship Yamato Type 94 46cm Triple Turret  (w/Additional Machine Gun) 1/200 Scale Kit: Toys & Games

if we want to make the ship seaworthy without sacraficeing armor or mobility, then you cant slap turrets willynilly on anything and call it a design.

exhibit A of a dumbass who has no idea how turrets work in real life:

20200726_023909.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-CAT-]
2,253 posts
11,218 battles
2 hours ago, Drakon233 said:

The Modelling News: Preview:Takom's 72nd scale Battleship Yamato no. 2 main  turret is gunning for an August release...

Amazon.com: Fujimi 020358 Battleship Yamato Type 94 46cm Triple Turret  (w/Additional Machine Gun) 1/200 Scale Kit: Toys & Games

if we want to make the ship seaworthy without sacraficeing armor or mobility, then you cant slap turrets willynilly on anything and call it a design.

Good points @Drakon233.  I admit sometimes the I can be forgetful of what you mention above.

Probably not the same hull, but a modified hull. Longer and wider, but based on Albemarle / Cheshire design to accomodate an X-turet.

[MRI]
3,501 posts
15,129 battles

Sure why not. Just modify the hull appropriately.

[CLAY]
2,759 posts
12,336 battles
8 hours ago, S0und_Theif said:

I was just wondering (sometimes bothered), is it possible to mount an X-turret on Albemarle? Judging from the space behind the ship model, both Albemarle and Chesire has "enough(?)" space to mount an X-turret.

Of course some AA will be removed and some metal will be shaved to make room for the additional turret.

shot-20_09.25_00_07.32-0932.thumb.jpg.f57ea693dca22ea27df26a635c92cd13.jpgshot-20_09.25_00_07.53-0917.thumb.jpg.dff79df2e5a388e0114d7ad71c85a4c0.jpg

How did I came up with this thought?

Using Fiji and Mysore (to be released in the future) as reference. Mysore (formerly Nigeria) X-turret was removed to make room for more AA in '43.

Mysore is T6 and Fiji is T7. So Albemarle and Chesire (ABY) is T8 and Albemarle and Chesire (ABXY) is T9.

Thoughts? :fish_book:

8 hours ago, Drakon233 said:

exhibit A of a dumbass who has no idea how turrets work in real life:

20200726_023909.jpg

From your pics, it looks like the original intention when designing the ship was to give it an extra turret, but it was later decided to not to in favour of more AA, or to reduce tonnage.

If this were the case, it would depend on if the original turret well still exists beneath the deck to install another turret.
This is pure speculation, I’m no expert, and I don’t know of any cases where a ship grew another turret, plenty of cases where a ship with turrets had turrets removed though. In those cases, would the entire turret well be removed? Or just built over. I suspect the former, a turret well would take up a lot of space, and would be heavy, even without the turret.

Of course, it may have been that the design was based off a ship with a turret there, and they left it clear on purpose.

4,662 posts
8,750 battles

Probably enough space. Not sure about turret angle though.

However, assume that Ches/Albe was built with 3 turrets like they are in the game, the conversion to have the 4th turret would end up removing/replacing a lot of what is already inside the ship, possibly affecting placement of living quarters, engine rooms, etc.

Of course, the benefit of the doubt here is that the design WG had for Ches is actually a 4-turreted design, and 3-turreted Ches is just a less firepower version. 

I've put the 4x3 203 design in my RN CA speculation thread, which is (probably) the 4-turreted Albe.

Let us not forget that the RN has yet had a T9 premium CR.

Edited by Paladinum
Albe not Abel

[MRI]
3,501 posts
15,129 battles
26 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

This is pure speculation, I’m no expert, and I don’t know of any cases where a ship grew another turret, plenty of cases where a ship with turrets had turrets removed though. In those cases, would the entire turret well be removed? Or just built over. I suspect the former, a turret well would take up a lot of space, and would be heavy, even without the turret.

Probably removed and built over. And depending on what you replace the turret with, you could face a problem of the ship actually being too light on that side, since turrets are extremely heavy and the rear of the ship still needs to be balanced against the front.

Iirc when Ise and Hyuuga were converted to BB/CV hybrids and had their rear guns removed, solid cement or concrete had to be added as a form of counter-balance for bouyancy.

Edited by Thyaliad

[SMOKE]
1,905 posts
15,910 battles

any guns of CL caliber and up require substantial mod to the hull if a true turret and turret sub system are to be placed .. and that is why very rarely does these kind of mod happen in real life history , instead most likely its possible though to put DD caliber turret ( to give automated heavy & fast ranged AA ) there , picture this , instead of the said X turret , out a Royal Navy dual purpose 113mm or 100mm or 120mm turret there , its entirely possible , cause many DD gun turret are all self contained and need no " into the deck " sub structure other than reinforcing the deck to take the weight.

Edited by Mechfori

Sign in to follow this