Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IJN_Katori

Rank Update

22 comments in this topic

[LBAS]
3,032 posts
14,467 battles

ST 0.9.11, RANKED BATTLES OVERHAUL

Please note that all information in the development blog is preliminary and subject to change during testing. Any showcased features may or may not end up on the main server. The final information will be published on our game's website.

In the near future, a new Ranked Battles system will be tested. 

The main features of the new system:

• Ranked Seasons succeed each other almost immediately, only with short breaks to separate them.
  • Each Season is split into Sprints, each 1-3 weeks long.
  • In one Sprint, you can progress through one of the three Leagues and, upon reaching rank 1 and passing qualification, advance to the next League.
  • Rewards are given for a certain number of victories in the League, for reaching the first rank, and for passing qualification.
  • To ensure quality matchmaking, Ranked Battles are not available during periods of low activity.

Progression System: Leagues and Sprints

phpfKcHJH

• The mechanics of ranks and stars remain unchanged.
  • Each Season has three Leagues: Bronze, Silver, and Gold. Each league will start you at your initial rank (for example, tenth), and have you fight to reach rank 1 for that league.
  • You can complete the League in one Sprint (one part of the Season, lasting 1-3 weeks). There are always no fewer Sprints than Leagues.
  • Upon reaching the first rank, qualification begins: to move to the next League, you need to get a certain number of stars. During qualification, you cannot drop to previous ranks.
  • If you've not reached the qualification or have not passed it, by the time a Sprint ends, then you'll start the next Sprint from the initial rank of the same League where you left off.
  • If the qualification is successfully completed, then you'll start the next Sprint from the initial rank of the next League.
  • During a Season, you cannot drop to the previous league.
  • Rewards are given for a certain number of victories in the League, for reaching the first rank, and for passing qualification.

phpnIHAkc

Seasons and format

• Ranked Battles are ongoing - there are only small technical breaks between Seasons.
  • In different Leagues, battles can take place on ships of different Tiers, and not necessarily only on one. For example, in the Bronze League, battles can take place at Tier VIII, and at Tiers VIII - IX in the Silver League. The format may change from Season to Season.
  • The teams will always be strictly mirrored in ship types and Tiers.
  • Divisions still cannot participate In Ranked Battles.
  • To ensure quality matchmaking, Ranked Battles are not available during periods of low activity.

Other

• After qualifying or getting the first rank in the Gold League, you cannot participate in Ranked Battles until the start of the next Sprint.
  • If you receive the first rank in the Gold League, then you'll start the next Sprint of the same Season at the initial rank of the Gold League but with newly available rewards.
  • Until you reach the first rank, you only play against other players in the same League. During the qualification, you'll be fighting against those who are passing the same qualification, as well as commanders from the higher League.
  • Seasons do not inherit progress from previous ranked Seasons and do not affect the next.
  • Removed flags of Leagues giving economic bonuses. Due to the new system of Ranked Battles, these flags would remain with the players almost indefinitely and would have a significant impact on the economy.
  • Ranked Battles emblems remain unchanged. Each star received for the first time in the Season is considered unique. In the event of a repeated passage of a League in the same Season, the stars will not be taken into account for the progress of the emblem.
  • The Jolly Roger achievement will be split into three, one for each League. They are awarded for reaching the first rank in the respective leagues once per Season.

phpdgdBJN

• A commemorative flag is awarded for reaching the first rank in the Bronze League at least once a season.
  • Added three new camouflages: "Bronze", "Silver", and "Gold", given out as rewards in their respective Leagues.

phpgPIGDPphpFAaEMiphpkcgJdc

[LBAS]
3,032 posts
14,467 battles

Bronze Silver and Gold Camos gives Credits Free XP, XP in battle and -5% Cost to service.

Keep in mind that these are not final and therefore

World of Warships: First impression on the Montpelier, Yukikaze and  Neustrashimy

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,313 posts
11,038 battles

They overhauled ranked battles - and they didn't get rid of the star system!!!  :Smile_amazed:

The absolute worst thing about ranked are stars, and in particular saving stars on losses.  This is what they need to fix.  Instead they change all the stuff around the crappy system, without actually changing what makes ranked so unpleasant in the first place.

Here's what they should have done.  Give everyone their own personal rating.  If they win, the rating goes up, if they lose it goes down.  The amount it goes up or down is dependent on the average rating of your team vs the average rating of the enemy team.  Then they can simply have the system be similar to clan battles and have your personal rating put you at a certain rank.  If you reach rank 1, you rank out of the system.

With this system, losing because you were put with a poor team would be much less punishing because you would lose far fewer rating points.  You would no longer have people playing only to save their star and not for the win (and that actually being the smartest way to play the mode, which is even worse).

This is not complicated.  How have they not done this? 

I'm not normally critical of the devs.  I support most of what they do, and really enjoy the game.  They've dropped the ball here though, and made a complete mess of this overhaul by completely missing the point of what needed to be overhauled!

• Cool 3

[-CAT-]
2,284 posts
11,287 battles
2 hours ago, IJN_Katori said:

The main features of the new system:

Seasons and format

That's twice they mentioned this.

Basically will follow clan battle time format.

Too late for ANZ time zone, Too early for India time zone.

And as a player who works and plays at night, this impacts me greatly.

• Cool 3

744 posts
19,634 battles
4 hours ago, S0und_Theif said:

Another boot to the groin for the AU/NZ player base.

• Cool 2

[KAMI]
429 posts
5,781 battles

Ok but where does it describe the details of this "qualification"?

[AN-DO]
667 posts
9,810 battles

I'm with Moggy on this, the one thing that desperately needed fixing in ranked was the one thing they didn't fix, I mean WTF WG? instead they throw these other unnecessary changes in, to solve a problem that doesn't exist that literally nobody was complaining about. Also if it has peak times similar to what clan battles has then WG have just given the middle finger to all the AU and NZ players again and actually created a problem where there previously wasn't one. Bravo WG, Bravo

• Cool 2

[BLESS]
1,200 posts
10,717 battles
11 hours ago, IJN_Katori said:

• Ranked Seasons succeed each other almost immediately, only with short breaks to separate them.
  • Each Season is split into Sprints, each 1-3 weeks long.
  • In one Sprint, you can progress through one of the three Leagues and, upon reaching rank 1 and passing qualification, advance to the next League.
  • To ensure quality matchmaking, Ranked Battles are not available during periods of low activity

The gist I get here is WG wants to make Ranked less of an "special event" and more of a "competitive mode" operating in parallel to "casual mode" of randoms and "hobby mode" of co-op. Ok, I guess. Think of it as the final potato solution. The downside is it could drain the remaining good players out of Randoms entirely. And does this mean WG has admitted defeat and is giving up on CB?

All special modes should be gated to peak server times, if you ask me. Submarine mode and asymmetric battle mode were both killed by availability at off-hours. They became bot-fests which in turn caused what little player interest remained to evaporate. Note that with three leagues being played simultaneously the player pool is divided by 3 at any given time, further increasing any matchmaking issues.

Note economic bonus flag for ranked is being removed. Again, I can see the reasoning, but it feels like a claw-back.

As I see it there is no advantage to playing in the higher leagues, or rather we'll have to see how the reward system looks as to whether the increased difficulty (and lower win rate) would pay off.

One question I have about ranked is what happens if you advance to a certain league and stop playing for a bit, or how much time will be needed to pass qualifying. If its too much of a committment I may not bother.

Finally, personally I don't care about the save-a-star issue. It's helped me through ranked sprints in the past as a DD. As a DD at T10 your job is usually spotting and buff collector so you don't usually top the team, but whatever, if it goes to the camping BB it goes to the camping BB I dont care.

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,313 posts
11,038 battles

Spare a thought for our former SEA friends from this part of the world that moved to NA or EU servers.  They basically won't be able to play ranked again if they usually play in our prime time.

[CLAY]
2,779 posts
12,390 battles
9 hours ago, S0und_Theif said:

Yeah, I do not like this idea of limiting by time.

Yes, they will have ranked more often, but means nothing if you are not available in the times it is on.

• Cool 1

[NCOTS]
364 posts
10,867 battles

It looks quite complicated....mess ups inbound

[151ST]
2,508 posts
10,201 battles
27 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

All special modes should be gated to peak server times, if you ask me.

Nope.

Some time gating is fine but the level WG go - no way.

Asia particularly has a huge spread of time zones, if they do this thing like CBs it'll completely screw entire quadrants of the playerbase again, starting with ANZ folks.

This is beside the points you raise about fracturing the MM further.

TBH I don't want a continuous Ranked Battles mode, I'll probably stop playing it entirely because I'll be burnt out from it.

This is all speculation of course but regardless of the time issues, RB constantly can get royally stuffed...

If I had more hard facts I'd be doing a rant video right this second!!

• Cool 2

[TLS]
4,070 posts
20,266 battles

Yawn. The main problem with ranked was not with the quality of players. It is the selfish play for saving stars. Yet again wg fails to address the root cause.

• Cool 1

[BLESS]
1,200 posts
10,717 battles
5 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

Asia particularly has a huge spread of time zones, if they do this thing like CBs it'll completely screw entire quadrants of the playerbase again, starting with ANZ folks.

TBH I don't want a continuous Ranked Battles mode, I'll probably stop playing it entirely because I'll be burnt out from it.

It's not restricting anything if there are no players in the queue anyway. I see it as more of a QoL thing, that during the time you would have a bad experience due to low player numbers the event is simply not open. If RB is available for 12h a day, that's a wide enough spread that everyone living in SEA time zones can play during their prime time evening.

Re. burn out, they'd be little reason to play continuously unless the rewards are incredible. You'd do one sprint, maybe three, then call it quits for a while. Since you don't lose your league position, once you get as far as you are likely to get the incentive is to just stop playing, take the credits and run so to speak.

[SMOKE]
1,930 posts
16,063 battles

Even with today's I no longer care ,I just play to R10 to get the flag and that is it .. we simply do not need always here Ranked what we need is a Rank mechanism that actually measure battle contribution not the stars we had now

[151ST]
2,508 posts
10,201 battles
3 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

It's not restricting anything if there are no players in the queue anyway. I see it as more of a QoL thing, that during the time you would have a bad experience due to low player numbers the event is simply not open. If RB is available for 12h a day, that's a wide enough spread that everyone living in SEA time zones can play during their prime time evening.

Yeah see I don't think they'll even do 6...

And that's what I'm afraid of.

[KAMI]
429 posts
5,781 battles
8 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

The gist I get here is WG wants to make Ranked less of an "special event" and more of a "competitive mode" operating in parallel to "casual mode" of randoms and "hobby mode" of co-op. Ok, I guess. Think of it as the final potato solution. The downside is it could drain the remaining good players out of Randoms entirely. And does this mean WG has admitted defeat and is giving up on CB?

Well, people have always liked to complain about average player skill in the game. WG would never force players to learn because WG wants to sell high tier premium ships to get newbies hooked.

Perhaps this is WG's way of taking people's call for a "skill-based MM". At the end of the day, the current ranked system still does a half-assed, limited job of separating players into skill groups.

Meanwhile randoms just fits you anywhere randomly. Yes, I'm aware of the star-saving, and selfish play, etc. 

Still, randoms is better if you need to grind certain missions, and campaigns and ships. Credit and exp income could go either way. Also good for occasional casual play.

8 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

Note economic bonus flag for ranked is being removed. Again, I can see the reasoning, but it feels like a claw-back.

I see your point, its not fun having stuff taken away. Although I'm quite ok with it considering we don't need to pay for consumables anymore.

Also having flags that gives bonuses makes people feel pressured to use the specific flag, rather than according their aesthetic choices. Still, I do like the flag for bragging tho.

744 posts
19,634 battles
9 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

Spare a thought for our former SEA friends from this part of the world that moved to NA or EU servers.  They basically won't be able to play ranked again if they usually play in our prime time.

To be fair, if they're similar to Clan Battles times, I wouldn't be playing Ranked if I was still on SEA anyway.

[SMOKE]
1,930 posts
16,063 battles

To be fair I can see the logic of the always on Ranked and th short sprint as well as the league mechanism but it's the keeping how rank are earn , the star system that's really killing the Rank mode ... If WG will not change the Star mechanism it's not like it will help at all

59 posts

I was thinking of what was missing in my life, and it was more ranked with restricted hours of play. Seriously, is this to attract more players to ranked or just give the rank addicts a continuous stream of crack?

Stars, it should reward impactful play and punish opening yolo... give 2 stars to the top players of the winning team and zero to the bottom and 1 star to the rest; losing team all loses 1 star.

Edited by Watboy
  • Cool 1

[TLS]
4,070 posts
20,266 battles
16 minutes ago, Watboy said:

Stars, it should reward impactful play and punish opening yolo... give 2 stars to the top players of the winning team and zero to the bottom and 1 star to the rest; losing team all loses 1 star.

Completely and exactly my sentiments. There is no such thing as 'the best loser' if all your team does is try to be the best loser.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this