You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
hurricaneflyer

Impossible to obtain flags

10 comments in this topic

[IJN]
236 posts
4,630 battles

Alright, so I was browsing the 'Captains logbook' when I stumbled upon the flag section. It's interesting because you can see every flag that the game has and even a few for ships that haven't been released yet, but there are more then a few odd outliers...

image.thumb.png.5157694e72a598fe2bac195433e39b72.png

Apparently there is a Thunderer flag, even though Thunderer was never sold for Cash in a bundle that includes the flag. Also note the Nelson flag (similar circumstances), the existence of two Belfast flags (one is called 'HMS Belfast' and the other just 'Belfast') and a flag for a ship named 'Brandenburg'.

image.thumb.png.28757c3cb2c955b9e4c6de3593b6e795.png

A lot more to go through here, but the main points are: A Seigfried flag, A Moskva flag, A Smolensk flag, A Stalingrad flag, A Kirov flag and a Neustrashimy flag. All of these ships are only sold for in-game resources, and therefore wouldn't have a dedicated flag. Another point is that certain tier 9 premuim ships (Jean Bart, Georgia Friesland etc) that DO have a flag were all sold for money, and then presumably with a flag in a larger bundle. Also of interest is a flag for Borodino, a old WIP ship as I remember.

image.thumb.png.7ef0f4bb68552037f57ed73918ec3ac6.png

Here you can see that there are flags for: Yoshino, Hayate, Salem, Benham, Ohio, Somers, Pay-to-Rico (Puerto Rico) (?) and Shikishima. Here there are also flags for FDR and Atlanta, FDR not yet having been released and Atlanta never being sold in a flag  bundle (Atlanta actually pre-dates the existence of flags I believe). Pay-to-Rico is labled with a question mark because I wasn't present for the event and cannot confirm nor deny whether you were given the flag when the dockyard was completed as in the Odin dockyard.

image.thumb.png.8928ab7b92d6ebb72ca6a58c148f6e68.png

Here there are two main subjects; The flag for Småland and the flag for Leone (WIP).

image.thumb.png.b40dc5cae69aaa8b153c3192c744ea1c.png

And finally, a very inefficiently done screenshot of the Musashi flag.

All of these flags are Unobtainable, even if you purchased the ship in the Armoury for coal/research points (at least from my experience from buying Smolensk). My one request would be to give these flags to the owner of the Ship the flag corresponds with (eg. The owner of a Hayate, Seigfried, Thunderer and Moskva would receive their respective flags) and make older flags like the Graf Spee and Huange He flags available for doubloons so that the flags aren't forever out of the reach of the playerbase.

image.png

Edited by hurricaneflyer
  • Cool 3

[CLAY]
2,772 posts
12,373 battles

Not surprising. So many premium ship flags are only obtainable in bundles, which is pointless if you already have the ship, or if you are cheap and don't want to buy an expensive bundle.

Its possible the flags for the ships which were never on sale were part of a big flag bundle at some point, or a limited time mission for the ship when the ship was first released, but that's only speculation.

My preferred theory is that people design the flags for the ships early on, before its decided if they are going to be released or not, and then they just chuck the design in the logbook if they decide not to release a flag.

Personally, if you own the ship I'd like to get the matching flag, maybe even for a small amount of doubloons.

• Cool 2

4,674 posts
8,750 battles

Most T9 premiums can actually be bought in bundles with their flags.

T10 ones? Nope and it's super weird the flags are even there.

Edited by Paladinum

[NCOTS]
359 posts
10,822 battles
1 hour ago, hurricaneflyer said:

My one request would be to give these flags to the owner of the Ship the flag corresponds with

Agreed, instead of leaving them unobtainable we owners should have a chance to get them. Maybe through a short mission chain?

• Cool 2

[TDA]
[TDA]
Alpha Tester
2,238 posts
8,660 battles

By not releasing a particular flag (or any item) to the general public, WG is creating an artificial shortage.

This makes the flag rare.

It also makes people want it.

This makes the flag worth money.

And WG profits.

Quite a common business maneuver. Lots of things are purposely held back to increase their value.

[IJN]
236 posts
4,630 battles
18 minutes ago, AntifoulAwl said:

By not releasing a particular flag (or any item) to the general public, WG is creating an artificial shortage.

This makes the flag rare.

It also makes people want it.

This makes the flag worth money.

And WG profits.

Except WG profits only once, as there is simply no other way to obtain them afterwards, meaning that potential profits WG could make selling the flags regularly is instead wasted by keeping their availability extremely limited. Basically this means that the Bundles that included the flags were only available once, during the ships release period.

This also gives in to my request for the flags to be sold, as then both parties are satisfied; We get the flag we want, and WG gets our money.

[TDA]
[TDA]
Alpha Tester
2,238 posts
8,660 battles
1 hour ago, hurricaneflyer said:

Except WG profits only once, as there is simply no other way to obtain them afterwards, meaning that potential profits WG could make selling the flags regularly is instead wasted by keeping their availability extremely limited. Basically this means that the Bundles that included the flags were only available once, during the ships release period.

This also gives in to my request for the flags to be sold, as then both parties are satisfied; We get the flag we want, and WG gets our money.

The thing is, you only need/use each flag once. So you only buy it once. You won't ever buy the same flag ever again.

Instead of selling them monthly for x, WG can hold off for a year and sell at 12x  ..you only buy the thing once, remember. And WG knows people will pay a high price for pixel stuff. And WG isn't running a charity here.

Anyway, much better minds than mine make the decisions at WG.

I hope you can sway them to your liking, but I honestly think the only way you can achieve your outcome here is some sort of military coup.

Spoiler

4fz8a5.jpg

Edited by AntifoulAwl

[4RSE]
291 posts
7,367 battles

Well, never say never. They did add the Dasha captains back into the armoury afterall. I actually posted a comment requesting they sell the Dasha captains in the armoury on facebook, and a month later there she is.

Am I saying I am responsible? No. It's 99.9999999% probably coincidence.

[IJN]
236 posts
4,630 battles
17 hours ago, AntifoulAwl said:

but I honestly think the only way you can achieve your outcome here is some sort of military coup.

image.thumb.png.397b9a3de8801c3f58a2b2cf2be5cd34.png

• Funny 5

[-CAT-]
2,273 posts
11,266 battles

And I am sure that if WG will release these flags, WG will surely heavily monetize it by either making players pay with real money, or convert your real money to doubloons, or in game currency that will split your attention between the ship you want or cosmetics.

Captain's log book is also WG's way of IKEA marketing. "Hey look, you missed this."

Also, WG's fear mongering method of "pay now or miss out / play now or miss out" does not always work and it is not sustainable.

Those who missed out have lesser reason and / or motivation to continue collecting. To some extent continue playing the game.

Edited by S0und_Theif