Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
mademoisail

Operation Source

37 comments in this topic

Administrator, WG Staff
189 posts

“Operation Source” was a series of attacks to neutralize the heavy German warships – Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, and Lützow – based in northern Norway, using X-class midget submarines.

The attacks took place in September 1943 at Kaafjord and succeeded in keeping Tirpitz out of action for at least six months. The concept for the attack was developed by Commander Cromwell-Varley, with the support of Max Horton, Flag Officer Submarines, and Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

Intelligence contributing to the attack on Tirpitz was collected and sent to the Royal Navy by the Norwegian resistance, especially brothers Torbjørn Johansen and Einar Johansen.

Tirpitz was heavily damaged. While not in danger of sinking, she took on over 1,400 tons of water and suffered significant mechanical damage. The first torpedo exploded abreast of turret Caesar, and the second detonated 148 to 180 ft off the port bow. A fuel oil tank was ruptured, shell plating was torn, a large indentation was made in the bottom of the ship, and bulkheads in the double bottom buckled. Some 1,430 tons of water flooded the ship in fuel tanks and void spaces in the double bottom of the port side, which caused a list of one-two degrees, which was balanced by counter-flooding on the starboard side. The flooding damaged all of the turbo-generators in generator room No. 2, and all apart from one generator in generator room No. 1 were disabled by broken steam lines or severed power cables. Turret Dora was thrown from its bearings and could not be rotated; this was particularly significant, as there were no heavy-lift cranes in Norway powerful enough to lift the turret and place it back on its bearings. The ship's two Arado Ar 196 floatplanes were thrown by the explosive concussion and completely destroyed. Repairs were conducted by the repair ship Neumark; historians William Garzke and Robert Dulin remarked that the successful repair effort was "one of the most notable feats of naval engineering during the Second World War. Repairs lasted until 2 April 1944; full-speed trials were scheduled for the following day in Altafjord. On 12 November 1944, the ship was destroyed by Avro Lancaster bombers, however.

Show a screenshot of a Bismarck, Tirpitz, Tirpitz B, Scharnhorst, or Scharhorst B in Random/Coop battle dodging torpedoes. 

Please submit your screenshots from battles between September 21st 18:00 EST (22:00 UTC) to September 28th 18:00 EST (22:00 UTC). MAKE SURE YOUR SCREENSHOT IS DURING THE TIME PERIOD LISTED.

shot-20.09.21_08.49.05-0667.jpg

Winners will be randomly selected and rewarded the following: 

1st Place Prize: Tier VIII Tirpitz
2nd & 3rd Place Prize: 10 European Camos each

I appreciate you guys helping me grow these forum contests. We have come a long way, and your participation means a lot to me. I hope you enjoy the history and theme of this contest and GOOD LUCK! 

-Sail

• Cool 3

[MUPAN]
154 posts
2,638 battles

Bugger, am gunna have to skip this one. Almost at the Gneisnau, but the Bizzie is a ways off yet......:Smile_sad:

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,406 posts
26,328 battles

image.thumb.png.007345fff76fee35c9c40e33f7f66444.png

yeah, this even is cool and all, and it's the highest tier that's been offered and that's great, but im a bit confused as to why you're offering players that already have tirpitz or tirp B another one...

just a thought

anyways, always cool to get a copy

[NZSQN]
149 posts
25,372 battles

Well it only took 13 games in Bismarck and the help of (SEARN) Paulaus to get it. Glad I got this far. Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favour!!

shot-20.09.22_17.15.26-0153.jpg

[NCOTS]
352 posts
10,789 battles

Neglected my Bisko a bit too long since I got Odin, thanks for bringing this up:cap_like:

shot-20.09.22_16.32.45-0200.jpg

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,370 posts
19,407 battles
6 hours ago, Drakon233 said:

yeah, this even is cool and all, and it's the highest tier that's been offered and that's great, but im a bit confused as to why you're offering players that already have tirpitz or tirp B another one...

So I can donate my win to my Fellow Cultist of Hipper, @Earl_of_Arland

😛

• Cool 1

[NZSQN]
149 posts
25,372 battles
1 minute ago, Max_Battle said:

So I can donate my win to my Fellow Cultist of Hipper, @Earl_of_Arland

😛

You can donate it to a poor colonial

• Funny 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,370 posts
19,407 battles

Did he find the gap?

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of Max_Torpbeats.

World of Warships Screenshot 2020.09.22 - 23.04.06.36.png

• Cool 3

Administrator, WG Staff
189 posts
12 hours ago, Drakon233 said:

just a thought

anyways, always cool to get a copy

You don't have to own one to get a screenshot of one. :Smile_hiding:

If the winner already has the ship, you will receive the ship value in doubloons. 

• Cool 1

[MUPAN]
154 posts
2,638 battles

@mademoisail

That sounds like a challenge.....is it a challenge?:Smile_izmena:

Very well, let us summarize. 

- Get a screenshot of  ship I do not own

- Said ship must be dodging torpedoes 

- Said screenshot must be in a random or co-op match where I must rely on pure chance that said ship will be present AND dodging torpedoes AND my camera will be positioned appropriately to capture said event.

Ok, challenge accepted......but if I manage to pull it off....you owe me a beer if I don't win......:Smile-_tongue:

Edited by KiwiColdBeer72

[NAU]
Super Tester_
566 posts
8,639 battles

shot-20_09.23_19_42.50-0236.thumb.jpg.33ca3c973605be5aebe17d0e807ed12b.jpg

My Scharnhorst is dodging Enemy Sharnhorst torps, and the enemy Sharnhorst is dodging my Sharnhorst torps. Double conditions met 🙂

The F. Der Grobe should learn from this. He took them all. 🙂

Administrator, WG Staff
189 posts
9 hours ago, paskal said:

@mademoisail I'm wondering how you're gonna verify those screenshot without asking for replay file... :cap_hmm:

We are relying on the honor system a bit, and I am trusting all of the participants to follow the entry requirements in the description.

Plus, I asked so nicely 🙂

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,370 posts
19,407 battles

I know.

I KNOW.

I KNOW!!!

This doesn't count, but COME ON! Would have been a good one if it did.

(Just repeating, if my actual legit entry DOES win, I'm donating the boat to @Earl_of_Arland cuz CULT OF HIPPER)

• Cool 2

[MD]
589 posts
3,058 battles
11 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

I know.

I KNOW.

I KNOW!!!

This doesn't count, but COME ON! Would have been a good one if it did.

(Just repeating, if my actual legit entry DOES win, I'm donating the boat to @Earl_of_Arland cuz CULT OF HIPPER)

DONKEY