Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
The_Swert

Spotter plane effect on detection range

8 comments in this topic

[VIE]
1 post
1,431 battles

Shooting your main battery increases detection range for the enemy up to the range of the battery.

Spotter plane increases main battery range by 20%.

Therefore spotter plane also increases detectability range by 20%.

How is that logical? Can the enemy see the plane flying overhead and know exactly where my ship is? I don't think so, it can't do it for fighters, so why for spotting planes?

It totally negates the main positive effect of using the spotter plane. It makes you a shiny beacon on the map visible from 20-25km away and the possible focus of multiple ships.

[MD]
[MD]
566 posts
2,917 battles

TL;DR

11 minutes ago, The_Swert said:

How is that logical?

It's an arcade game based on naval history. It doesn't have to make sense most of the time.

12 minutes ago, The_Swert said:

It totally negates the main positive effect of using the spotter plane. It makes you a shiny beacon on the map visible from 20-25km away and the possible focus of multiple ships.

For the sake of balance. Firing your gun blooms your detection up to your gun's maximum range (implemented because stealthfiring is a thing and that's broken afaik)

• Cool 2

[CLAY]
2,667 posts
12,023 battles
1 hour ago, The_Swert said:

Shooting your main battery increases detection range for the enemy up to the range of the battery.

Spotter plane increases main battery range by 20%.

Therefore spotter plane also increases detectability range by 20%.

How is that logical? Can the enemy see the plane flying overhead and know exactly where my ship is? I don't think so, it can't do it for fighters, so why for spotting planes?

Well, while catapult fighters don't increase your detectability range after firing, people DO use them to detect approximate location of your ship. Not that hard to see a plane in the sky and work out there may be a ship under it.

But its more down to mechanics. Detection bloom was set to maximum firing range to eliminate stealth firing, firing in open water without being detected. If the detectability did not increase with spotter, you would have stealth firing back. Which would be annoying and broken. And something like the Yamato doesn't need it. At that range, there is little that can hit you anyway.

The "main positive effect" you are asking for is a broken mechanic which was removed from the game years ago.

The ACTUAL main positive effects are: Increased range; from above POV.

Ok... It would be nice if I could use spotter on Zao at 21km and not get detected and sniped, but just think how annoying it would be if it were the other way around... And if they're not firing at me, They'll go undetected anyway. Unless there was a CV or DD constantly spotting them, which would negate half the problems I have at the moment. Or unless there were 3-4 other allied open water BBs or Cruisers at the same range or closer, proving alternate targets other than me, so I don't get focus fired. Which would solve the other half of my problem. But in a battle where the sole DD is on the other flank, the allied CV spots the targets for 30 seconds before switching squadrons, and all the BBs stay6 over 23km away from enemies and 4km beg=hind you, making you the closest ship for the enemy to fire at, yeah, stealth firing would be great. Until it happened to you. I'd prefer that those other two things to be solved, more DDs spotting and more BBs pushing forward to cover cruisers.

Edited by Grygus_Triss
  • Cool 3

[ULAG]
324 posts
10,539 battles

Trust me, open water stealth firing is really bad for the game. 

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[-FUN-]
408 posts
6,833 battles
On 9/12/2020 at 3:19 PM, rookieFTW said:

Trust me, open water stealth firing is really bad for the game. 

I was too noob when wows still had this feature, and it was removed when I know enough of the game to want to take advantage of it.

Edited by zergling_

[ULAG]
324 posts
10,539 battles
1 hour ago, zergling_ said:

I was too noob when wows still had this feature, and it was removed when I know enough of the game to want to take advantage of it.

Tbh I will feel guilty if I use that mechanic, it's too broken (I remembered back in the days my BB being chased across the map by an invisible Blyska :Smile_sad:)

[-FUN-]
408 posts
6,833 battles
5 hours ago, rookieFTW said:

Tbh I will feel guilty if I use that mechanic, it's too broken

That's okay.. you could always take a shower if you feel dirty 😬😁 

Edited by zergling_
  • Funny 1

Sign in to follow this