Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Earl_of_Arland

Earl's Mini-Inquiry: A look at HMAS Melbourne (R21)

16 comments in this topic

[MD]
[MD]
560 posts
2,886 battles

Due to popular demand, and not certainly because i'm held at gunpoint by certain Naughtius_Maximus, today Earl will cover the Royal Australian Navy aircraft carrier. You know it as the Pride of the Australian Navy*, HMAS Melbourne (R21)! 

*though you probably know her more as the best modern age teamkiller

Oh god, here we go.  Roll the slide

Earl's Mini-Inquiry: HMAS Melbourne (R21)

48bb72c0d8dd4392fe27e3b16bd9e5e3.thumb.jpg.1f292d1a0486e9bf410d339122d37b7e.jpg

Historical Background

Melbourne was laid down for the Royal Navy as the lead ship of the Majestic-class in 1943, and was launched as HMS Majestic (R77) in 1945. At the end of the Second World War, work on the ship was suspended until she was purchased by the RAN in 1947. At the time of purchase, it was decided to incorporate new aircraft carrier technologies into the design, making Melbourne the third ship ever to be constructed with an angled flight deck. Delays in construction and integrating the enhancements meant that the carrier was not commissioned until 1955. At the time of completion, she was one of the most advanced aircraft carriers of her time thanks to her modification, carried sophisticated de Havilland Sea Venom jet fighters and heavyweight turboprop Fairey Gannet (and later helicopters) as her complement. While packing modern gadgets, she was small at just over 20,000 tonnes and thus carried fewer aircraft than many other Aircraft Carriers. Nonetheless, Melbourne served a quiet, 27 year long career, notably during the Indonesian Confrontation and Vietnam War ferrying planes and conducting ASW patrols. She made her mark in history not because of her advanced design, but rather two accidents that sank two allied destroyers, HMAS Voyager in 1964 and USS Frank E. Evans in 1969.

507676377_unnamed(3).jpg.f37cdd2f452960fc91367fd0df7c5e00.jpg

1099612550_unnamed(2).jpg.2036b4a11388fd70ca75caf1e03a1869.jpg

Fairey Gannet (top) and de Havilland Sea Venom (bottom) formed the core of Melbourne's airgroup

Analysis for Inclusion In-Game

The thing for Melbourne is how hard she would be for balancing. Her historical loadout of jet aircraft and turboprops are indeed powerful, however packs a few of them. At most, she is capable of carrying 32 aircraft, well below many other Carriers. I would place her as a Commonwealth Tier X aircraft carrier, based on the following reasons:

• Even smaller carriers like Saipan are sufficiently capable at their tier if the aircraft are good enough to compensate the smaller number. Melbourne would be the same case at tier 10. Her Sea Venom can speed through flaks and DPS AA easily, while the slower Gannet can dodge and tank more damage due to the small size and rugged construction.
  • The capability of her aircraft would be mismatched at Tier 8, both in historical sense and gameplay sense. You don't or want to see jets raining hell on sad New Mexico or Fubuki.

Therefore, with tier set, we go for her characteristics. Comparisons would be drawn from Audacious (Tier X RN Aircraft Carrier) already in-game unless specifically noted. Melbourne would have:

• Smaller squadron size and deck space (around 6-9 and ~30 respectively) thus the smallest at her tier. Aircraft restoration time would be slightly slower at around 85 second per aircraft.
  • Highest aircraft healthpool, tied with Franklin D. Roosevelt
  • Rocket attack planes would be six de Havilland Sea Venom Mk. 53 fighter jet squadron. Each squadron's attacking flight is 3 aircraft and each aircraft carried 8 RP-3 rockets found on Audacious, thus amounting to a total of 24 rockets. Cruising and maximum speed would be around 215 and 250 knots respectively. Due to their nature, they're rather slow to turn but can sustain maximum speed much longer. 
  • Torpedo Bombers would be nine Fairey Gannet AS1/4 turboprop aircraft. Each squadron's attacking flight is 3 aircraft and each aircraft carried two Mk XVII torpedo (same as Audacious) with six per flight on torpedo bomber configuration.
  • Dive bombers would be Fairey Gannet AS1/4 turboprop aircraft, as seen in the Torpedo Bomber wings. They would be armed with four 500 lb G.P. bombs (also found on Audacious) with twelve per flight on shallow dive bomber configuration. Cruising and maximum would be speed would be around 135 and 165 knots respectively. Due to their nature, they're a bit faster and have a tighter turn radius than average planes.
  • The Aircraft Carrier ship would have the smallest healthpool and have the slowest speed (24 knots) at her tier. In exchange, she has a very favorable detection radius of around 12 km
  • [Optional] Anti-Submarine Warfare consumable in the form of helicopters.

HMAS_Melbourne_II_Sydney_Harbour.jpg.5cacede5f63b38fe87b59dc2de9e943d.jpg

Thoughts?

This thread is dedicated to@Max_Battle, special thanks to @S4pp3Rfor fixing my awful grammar

Edited by Earl_of_Arland
  • Cool 8

[IJN]
123 posts
4,192 battles

Special feature: all stats of the ship increase by 200% after getting a teamkill, but only on a Daring (Voyager) or Yueyang (Frank E. Evans) by ramming.

• Funny 5

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,241 posts
18,470 battles
56 minutes ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

Thoughts?

This thread is dedicated to@Max_Battle, special thanks to @S4pp3Rfor fixing my awful grammar

Good.

@mademoisail Please forward these blueprints to your design bureau for immediate implementation!

I'll buy a Munich bote if you do.

OK OK, I'll buy a Munichbote anyway but come on!

• Funny 4

[151ST]
2,321 posts
9,823 battles
49 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

Good.

@mademoisail Please forward these blueprints to your design bureau for immediate implementation!

*** He's already bought a Munichbote and is trying to renegotiate his terms of purchase.

@Earl_of_Arland great post mate! I fully support this idea, it would be in line with my Commonwealth CV ideas... (Majestic at T10).

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[MD]
[MD]
560 posts
2,886 battles
41 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

great post mate! I fully support this idea, it would be in line with my Commonwealth CV ideas... (Majestic at T10).

thanks! while at it, might as well research the Colossus. I believe Canada commissioned some of them.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,241 posts
18,470 battles
6 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

*** He's already bought a Munichbote and is trying to renegotiate his terms of purchase.

sst.gif.c2dbb28275ecc16e3d58a370a18ea189.gif

938352061_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_09.11-23_07_15_28.thumb.png.7c1e3b5eeb6c73048bda16e5e6b4ce05.png

• Cool 3

[-CAT-]
2,040 posts
10,732 battles
5 hours ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

thanks! while at it, might as well research the Colossus. I believe Canada commissioned some of them.

Canada operated 1 Colossus and 2 Majestic class ships.

Same as Australia.

India operated 1 Majestic class.

France:

Operated 1 Colossus class.

Pan-Am:

Argentina operated 2 Colossus class and Brazil operated 1 Colossus class.

EU:

Netherlads operated 1 Colossus class.

It is unknown if RN has documents of failed bids to sell the remaining Colossus class ships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1942_Design_Light_Fleet_Carrier

I think it's the only CVL class that was sold to other navies(?).

Also nice insight @Earl_of_Arland.

Only T10 can have first gen jet aircraft. As a draw back, they will be less in a squadron as opposed to propeller aircraft.

Edited by S0und_Theif

[HOGS]
7 posts
2,925 battles

A friend of mine was Commander Air on the Melbourne, and during her refit in 1973 was Captain of her, sadly John passed away in 2016 I would have loved to ask him a few questions about her. 

Edited by HMAS_Armidale

[NZSQN]
128 posts
24,327 battles
15 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

Good.

Like the concept, but no to Jets, And I think she is t8 max, but more likely t6 to be honest. Have no idea how they could get Aircraft load out on this?

And if they could have angled flight deck?

But do think Majestic Class needs to be in game

[NZSQN]
128 posts
24,327 battles
14 hours ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

Colossus and Majestic are great, but do not think they can be t10. With even tiers it is very hard to get these in the right tiers, t8 and t6 and they could be Commonwealth Tech Tree as well as Pan America and Premiums? thoughts?

[151ST]
2,321 posts
9,823 battles
29 minutes ago, SgtSullyNZ said:

Like the concept, but no to Jets, And I think she is t8 max, but more likely t6 to be honest. Have no idea how they could get Aircraft load out on this?

And if they could have angled flight deck?

But do think Majestic Class needs to be in game

25 minutes ago, SgtSullyNZ said:

Colossus and Majestic are great, but do not think they can be t10. With even tiers it is very hard to get these in the right tiers, t8 and t6 and they could be Commonwealth Tech Tree as well as Pan America and Premiums? thoughts?

Nope she really isn't. Sorry mate but I think you are a little rigid in your thinking. World of Warships is an arcade game, not a sim.

Her planes are T11 technically, and so she would not fit at T8 to start with. And what would you do; change her aircraft? Might as well not implement her as a premium then.

Next things next, yes she is small but that is nothing in an arcade game.

Everything about her that is 'historical' speaks to T11-T12 except for aircraft capacity.

Given that aircraft number and wings are defined by WG, she's fine at T10.

Things like ship size, calibre and number of guns do not define the tier of the ship, neither does displacement.

Proof about such things?

Scharn is T7, Agir and Seig are T9.

Smolensk is T10,

Fiji is T7

etc etc.

Tier is an arbritrary assignment by WG based on some basic specs historically. These specs are then adjusted for game balance.

Jets? doesn't matter, just make them at the faster end of the spectrum and it's fine. The planes are just about the only 'accurate' thing you could have with CVs anyways.

If you want to nail down my point, go research historical armour values of Cruisers and then compare them to in game models...

This is an arcade game, being a small CV is not a problem.

Haru is a DD, Smolensk is a CL...

Agir is a CA... Scharnhorst is a BB...

And if you think Graf Zepp isn't a brawling Cruiser... ... You may be running the wrong build... :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,271 posts
10,796 battles

I think I was posting about Melbourne the other day suggesting she should be in the game, I'd certainly love to see her!

I was definitely thinking along the same lines as well - she'd have to be a tier 10, fast and tanky planes, small hangar capacity and squadron sizes, a bit like a T10 Saipan.  She clearly should have skip bombers as the bomb squadron.

Make it happen please WG!  :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

265 posts
6,277 battles

Honestly I like the idea, but only on the basis that her icon is permanently pink. Really showing the historical aspects of the team killer that she is.

• Funny 2

[ANZAF]
376 posts
5,539 battles

You forgot the most important part about the history of HMAS Melbourne.

Just prior to her being paid off, there was chaos in Nowra as it was accounced she would be sailing up the Shoalhaven River to be farewelled by HMAS Albatros (the fleet air base). Police were diverted from Wollongong to help deal with the huge traffic jams which resulted.

Best April Fools joke ever, the river is about 6 feet deep.........  

• Funny 4

[NZSQN]
128 posts
24,327 battles
1 hour ago, Puggsley said:

You forgot the most important part about the history of HMAS Melbourne.

Just prior to her being paid off, there was chaos in Nowra as it was accounced she would be sailing up the Shoalhaven River to be farewelled by HMAS Albatros (the fleet air base). Police were diverted from Wollongong to help deal with the huge traffic jams which resulted.

Best April Fools joke ever, the river is about 6 feet deep.........  

That is good!!!

Sign in to follow this