Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HoChunHao

ST, Skip-Bombers

22 comments in this topic

[REPOI]
185 posts
12,359 battles

image.thumb.png.5e17d1100414a5e75a19eb357f96b750.png
https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/72

https://youtu.be/DZxoyeVIgJ8

If its dropped too early, bomb impacts and detonates instantly, like your typical bombs,
unknown.png

If you wait a little as the planes drop lower, it bounces with 3 possible impact points
unknown.png

Edited by HoChunHao

[ULAG]
296 posts
10,513 battles

Historically its more used on USA/UK/Italy/Australia/USSR right?

WG: nah lets give it to Germans🤣

On the other hand its looks extremely skill demanding as it needs more prediction skills than Torpedo planes

[-CAT-]
2,060 posts
10,803 battles
4 minutes ago, IJN_Katori said:

French CV Béarn - Aircraft Carriers - World of Warships official forum

@HoChunHao French Carriers are coming.

Either French CV or WG will give it to bias CV.

CWoN premium CV = ?

Aircraft
Various aircraft types were used for skip-bombing attacks, including B-17 Flying Fortress heavy bombers, B-25 Mitchell medium bombers, and A-20 Havoc attack bombers. These were supported by heavily armed Royal Australian Air Force Bristol Beaufighters, which would suppress Japanese antiaircraft fire with their machine guns and cannon. The Soviets used lend-leased A-20 Havocs and P-40 Tomahawks as well as Il-2 Sturmoviks (also used for air defence suppression). Skip bombers were often used by aviation of the Soviet Northern Fleet in combination with torpedo bombers (usually the same A-20 aircraft, skip bombers and torpedo bombers operated in pairs). Skip bombers were called "topmachtoviks" (топмачтовики) in Russian, because they were flying "at the level of ship mast tops".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skip_bombing

:fish_book:

Edited by S0und_Theif

[MRI]
3,441 posts
14,839 battles

This looks pretty hard to pull off effectively.

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,544 posts
5,474 battles

It looks stupid for a ST development.

[NZAUS]
Beta Tester
298 posts
8,273 battles

Luckily Kremlin is so low in the water the bombs will skip over top. Saves having to buff her. 

tenor.gif?itemid=9949688

[151ST]
2,339 posts
9,873 battles

MN CVs are coming, they announced it recently, or was it a leak? My guess it'll be a MN thing, otherwise no idea what's going on...

We still haven't seen how CVs will interact with Subs in the next iteration.

Mysore I will 100% get but I am very unhappy with her no-HE bs... Basically means training a whole new captain... Which I find annoying. But after all the whinging and screeching I've done about CW ships, I'll get Mysore and be bloody thankful for the privilege.

And now this... ...

I'm not entirely against bomb skipping but honestly, is it necessary?

Every time they release a new line they push it's gimmicks to the limit, I actually enjoyed RN CAs for the most part mainly because they were normal and generalists (except Goliath and Hawkins - *shudder*).

Oh well... I do wonder how they plan on balancing this properly; they'd want to wait till after spotting changes before testing, right guys?

Right?

• Cool 1

[151ST]
2,339 posts
9,873 battles
53 minutes ago, Tagnbag said:

Luckily Kremlin is so low in the water the bombs will skip over top. Saves having to buff her. 

tenor.gif?itemid=9949688

Petropavlovsk enters the ring...

• Cool 1

4,500 posts
8,614 battles
2 hours ago, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

So maybe that ship will be the premium counterpart of Richthofen.

Or never, like L'Effronte, Brennus, Giunio Bruto and Lappland. (WG would likely reuse the names, but 100% not the ships)

Or T2 Borodino. Remember that ship?

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 2

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,273 posts
10,828 battles

Looks like a good way to maximise fire chance - four bombs evenly spaced along the length of a ship, when the ship has three or four points they can be set on fire!

The aiming actually looks easier than I imagined at a distance, although the long travel time will make maneuvering against the bombs reasonable effective.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this one goes.  Aussies were a leader in this tactic during the war, and probably the most famous use of it came by RAAF and USAAF planes in the Battle of the Bismarck Sea.  It's nice for WG to keep trying to integrate reasonably historical based tactics.

[MD]
[MD]
564 posts
2,901 battles
5 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

Also, given the RAAF were a leader in this field, can we have this ship as a premium please?  :Smile_great:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Melbourne_(R21)

Melbourne?

ST 0.9.10, Melbourne

Please note that all information in the development blog is preliminary and subject to change during testing. Any showcased features may or may not end up on the main server. The final information will be published on our game's website.

In Update 0.9.10, Commonwealth Tier 8 aircraft carrier Melbourne will enter the test.  

48bb72c0d8dd4392fe27e3b16bd9e5e3.thumb.jpg.2dc8a98b104450cecea81821035be32b.jpg

Melbourne is an unusual aircraft carrier, with smaller size than her contemporaries. She carried fewer, state-of-the art jet aircraft as her loadout, which were much more durable, faster, and carried more ordnance at the cost of smaller squadron size and slow restoration time. Unique to her is a new consumable - Anti-Submarine Helicopters, capable to engage submarines within a certain radius. Additionally, she will have built-in Hotel Yankee signal flag effect.

Additional characteristics of this ship are currently in the preliminary balancing stage and will be published when they are ready.

Edited by Earl_of_Arland
Really big /s

[SEARN]
1,029 posts
15,673 battles
15 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

Petropavlovsk enters the ring...

You beat me to it :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
2,651 posts
11,999 battles
48 minutes ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

Melbourne?

ST 0.9.10, Melbourne

Please note that all information in the development blog is preliminary and subject to change during testing. Any showcased features may or may not end up on the main server. The final information will be published on our game's website.

In Update 0.9.10, Commonwealth Tier 8 aircraft carrier Melbourne will enter the test.  

Melbourne is an unusual aircraft carrier, with smaller size than her contemporaries. She carried fewer, state-of-the art jet aircraft as her loadout, were much more durable, faster, and carried more ordnance at the cost of smaller squadron size and slow restoration time. Unique to her is a new consumable - Anti-Submarine Helicopters, capable to engage submarines within a certain radius. Additionally, she will have built-in Hotel Yankee signal flag effect.

Additional characteristics of this ship are currently in the preliminary balancing stage and will be published when they are ready.

ALLIED DESTROYERS, STAY CLEAR!

• Funny 1

[-CAT-]
2,060 posts
10,803 battles
2 hours ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

Melbourne?

ST 0.9.10, Melbourne

Melbourne is an unusual aircraft carrier, with smaller size than her contemporaries. She carried fewer, state-of-the art jet aircraft as her loadout, were much more durable, faster, and carried more ordnance at the cost of smaller squadron size and slow restoration time. Unique to her is a new consumable - Anti-Submarine Helicopters, capable to engage submarines within a certain radius. Additionally, she will have built-in Hotel Yankee signal flag effect.

Jet Aircraft and ASW Helicopters at T8?! :Smile_ohmy:

What's next? VTOL? :cap_fainting:

CVL are coming. Looks like CVL will take ASW role. :fish_book:

Probably CVL will be the support CV.  If this is the case, expect some ships to be rearranged.

And a built-in anti-ramming mechanic, man this ship is die hard.

Edited by S0und_Theif

4,500 posts
8,614 battles
12 hours ago, mademoisail said:

We don't skip stones anymore. We skip HE bombs. :fish_viking:

I would like to skip BBs.

Can you pass that on to WG?

[SALT]
2,016 posts
10,542 battles

Most of Skip Bomber technique was used by Air Force or Army Air Force  Not the NAVY.

Soviet Naval Aviation is the few exception that Used it regularly. one of Unique technique was They used 4 Aircraft, 2 Carry torpedo, 2 Perform Skip Bombing - its like they bring 2 Strumovik Elemental Mage to perform Fire and Flooding at same time.

Aerial Torpedo drop require low speed to drop, or the torpedoes will bounce from water surface. While skip bombing required aircraft to go fast so the Bomb will skip over the water. the 2 Skip bombing strumovik will blitz the target first allowing the third and fourth bomber to deploy their torpedoes with less Intense Anti Aircraft coming their way. so if the target got hit by the bomb, the follow up torpedoes will come not long after (after around  30 or 60s) . fire and water damage, neat

one of the victim of such method is german Battleship SMS Schlesien. 

The Germans developed several countermeasure. a Special Airmines were thrown into the path of Soviet bomber. which will deploy small parachuted Grenades (with 2kg explosive yield each) providing curtain of parachuting Mines which will damage low flying aircraft trying to pass it

though I doubt WG, would gib "hard playstyle" for ANY Russian line

Edited by humusz

Sign in to follow this