You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Asymmetric battles

50 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
1,148 posts
10,258 battles

Haven't tried it. Can't wait. I'm really looking forward to any kind of nonlinear gameplay which I've been bugging WG about since forever.

So I don't care how it turns out, I'm 100% behind it anyways.

Thanks, WG, for doing this.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
2,642 posts
11,971 battles

...I really don’t know if that’s sarcastic or not....

• Funny 1

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
1,111 posts
7,551 battles

I will be dusting off some T5's to have a crack at it....just have to get all the super containers for my tier 10's first.

thanks WG

• Cool 1

[BLESS]
1,148 posts
10,258 battles

Since it just started, most people are playing low tier side. The high tier side is mostly bots and in every game I've played so far it always loses.

I have no idea if the battles will be fairer once the bots are no longer needed, but there are already some really interesting matchups possible. Think two T8 CVs and T7 DDs against T5 and T6 DDs and cruisers.

No, @Grygus_Triss I'm not being sarcastic. It's a new game mode that doesn't involve submarines or powerups. I'll take it.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
2,642 posts
11,971 battles
46 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

Since it just started, most people are playing low tier side. The high tier side is mostly bots and in every game I've played so far it always loses.

I have no idea if the battles will be fairer once the bots are no longer needed, but there are already some really interesting matchups possible. Think two T8 CVs and T7 DDs against T5 and T6 DDs and cruisers.

No, @Grygus_Triss I'm not being sarcastic. It's a new game mode that doesn't involve submarines or powerups. I'll take it.

My doubt was correct then! Because many people up to this point were joking about what the point was because WG couldn’t even balance random.

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
1,111 posts
7,551 battles

The point is I can use my Kongo as a super cruiser and kick butt :cap_haloween:

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,241 posts
18,506 battles

I've just been AssBatting.

Rewards seem on par with randoms.

My results so far.

assbatts.png

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,241 posts
18,506 battles

More battles with the lower tiers dictating the flow of battle.

• Cool 1

[151ST]
2,325 posts
9,834 battles
2 hours ago, BigWaveSurfer said:

The point is I can use my Kongo as a super cruiser and kick butt :cap_haloween:

Far fewer overpens!

Sadly they end up being converted into ricochets... ...

• Funny 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,241 posts
18,506 battles

Speculation or wishful thinking?

AsBatts are being played on Op maps.

Unequal tiers, unequal numbers.

Are they testing the waters for BOTH teams in Ops to be players?

5 stars up for grabs, every star that one team doesn't get is a star the other one gets.

If you are driving the Lady Lex in Narai, you get a star if you escape, enemy team gets a star if they sink you.

If you are the "red" team, as soon as you are sunk, you come back on in the next ship/next wave.

So in Narai, you might get sunk as the Wyoming, only to respawn as the Emerald, then when you die you become the Farragut in the endgame phase.

Maybe.

Just a thought.

[CLAY]
2,642 posts
11,971 battles
40 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

Speculation or wishful thinking?

AsBatts are being played on Op maps.

Unequal tiers, unequal numbers.

Are they testing the waters for BOTH teams in Ops to be players?

5 stars up for grabs, every star that one team doesn't get is a star the other one gets.

If you are driving the Lady Lex in Narai, you get a star if you escape, enemy team gets a star if they sink you.

If you are the "red" team, as soon as you are sunk, you come back on in the next ship/next wave.

So in Narai, you might get sunk as the Wyoming, only to respawn as the Emerald, then when you die you become the Farragut in the endgame phase.

Maybe.

Just a thought.

This is a terrible idea.

Me yelling at enemy team “Act dumber! Be predictable! How the #$&@ did you know I was going to come around that corner like I do every game!”

I see Ops much like dungeons in Word of Warcraft. A game where I don’t have to hurt my brain trying to outthink an enemy, and instead just work on perfecting my timing, tactics, and mastery of my ship.

I mean, if they want to have it alongside ops! Ok, but I have this feeling that WG want to eventually replace PvE ops with more pvp... Maybe it’s just paranoid fear...

Edited by Grygus_Triss
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 2

Administrator, WG Staff
132 posts

8 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

I've just been AssBatting.

....excuse me? WHAT?!?!?!?! :cap_wander:

• Funny 3

[151ST]
2,325 posts
9,834 battles
4 hours ago, mademoisail said:

It's completely innocent, he swears! :Smile_trollface:

Got to admit Sail, it'd be pretty hilarious if that became the community short-hand for Assymetrical Battles... :cap_like:

Also no offence to any Americans in the audience but the lack of the 'al' will probably grind the teeth of any Queens English speakers... (Most Commonwealth countries incidentally).

Edited by S4pp3R
  • Funny 2

[XIAN]
69 posts
11,352 battles

dont get it wrong, it is much easier to play lower tier ship than high ships.

wg seem to encourage us to spend tokens to be fked by mutliple enemies,

the designer of this mode must have had too much voldka in his brain.

4,493 posts
8,613 battles

Since the big team is T5-6 and small team is T7-8, it'd be almost the same as Random Battles if the big team has mostly T5 and the small team has mostly T7, same with 6 and 8. Except the small team is only a half (in number) of the big team.

I say either the small team needs at least 1 more ship or the small team includes T8-9 instead of T7-8.

Right now the big team of low tier ships just rolls over the high tier team due to their overwhelming numerical superiority.

Edited by Paladinum

[BLESS]
1,148 posts
10,258 battles
46 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Right now the big team of low tier ships just rolls over the high tier team due to their overwhelming numerical superiority.

Anecdotally it seems to be the case. They over-compensated the numbers of the low tier side making it very hard for the high tier side to win. But that's a better place to be than putting the disadvantage on the low tier team. The token system though is clearly made to limit people playing high tiers, implying that WG must have thought that the game mode was biased towards high tiers.

Or, and this is an interesting viewpoint: the token system means good players can play more high tier games than bad players. So eventually it's going to make the high tier teams more experienced than the low tier teams. So maybe WG knew that high tier side would need very tight cooperation to win, so they put tokens system in to keep potatoes out.

[FORCE]
2,183 posts
11,609 battles

I have only won once as the top tier. And upon some closer observation, the small team relies on the lineup for both teams. The map also matters. Newport is the only map that favors the small team because 2 out of 3 cap zones are close to the small team. The other 2 maps only have 2 cap zones at the center of the map.

shot-20_09.03_18_34.53-0794.thumb.jpg.908dfbab34591fb05b72d969d12d7ee2.jpg

Nelson is also pretty good at absorbing cruiser's shells. But that's how superheal works. She's terrible at absorbing BB shells.

• Cool 1

4,493 posts
8,613 battles
1 minute ago, Rina_Pon said:

Or, and this is an interesting viewpoint: the token system means good players can play more high tier games than bad players.

Not really. You don't have to win a battle to earn tokens, just playing is enough. Not sure if this is what you mean?

Also something I forgot, note that the high tier team, as of now, seems to have a lot of AI ships instead of player ships, while the low tier team is basically all players. Their coding would not allow them to do very much except being damage piñatas.

Even that, it's hard for any T8 BB to survive 3 Nurnberg or 3 Budyonny relentlessly slinging HE at her...

The low tier team would have generally a better time playing, because they have the numerical advantage to focus down individual enemy ships.

I think.

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,241 posts
18,506 battles
10 hours ago, mademoisail said:

6 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

It's completely innocent, he swears! :Smile_trollface:

Yes yes, when you think of Max, the first thing that comes to mind is innocence and purity!

Assymetric Battles

AssBatts, or in the maxvacular, ASSBATTING.

• Funny 1

[BLESS]
1,148 posts
10,258 battles
7 hours ago, Paladinum said:

Not really. You don't have to win a battle to earn tokens, just playing is enough. Not sure if this is what you mean?

Also something I forgot, note that the high tier team, as of now, seems to have a lot of AI ships instead of player ships, while the low tier team is basically all players. Their coding would not allow them to do very much except being damage piñatas.

Even that, it's hard for any T8 BB to survive 3 Nurnberg or 3 Budyonny relentlessly slinging HE at her...

The low tier team would have generally a better time playing, because they have the numerical advantage to focus down individual enemy ships.

I think.

Ok, there goes that theory then. So WG just figured everyone would want to play T8 and tokens are just a way to encourage people to play T5.

Today I played a few high tier battles. The basic problem is bots. Without a full set of human players on your team, you have no chance of winning. No one wants to play in a bot team, so no one wants to play in the high tier team, so the high tier team is filled with bots, so no one wants to play in the high tier team, so the high tier team is filled with bots, ... unfortunately it is a self-fulfilling cycle of hopelessness.

I'm quite certain that with all human players and reasonable matchmaking, the high tier team would be at an advantage.

Besides the bots though, I sense that matchmaking is programmed to gimp the high tier side.

I took Gneisenau and found myself fighting 7 DDs, a PEF, and Fuso, with no one but an Asashio for support. Consider that the Fuso alone has a heavier broadside than I do, it was going to be an uphill battle, but Gneisenau is the absolute worst T7 BB of that tier to take on DDs. If that low tier team had been facing an Akizuki, a Cleveland, perhaps Bismark .... very different situation. Well, I suspect. I'll try those ships out this evening and see what happens.

Edited by Rina_Pon
  • Cool 2

[BLESS]
1,148 posts
10,258 battles
1 hour ago, Paladinum said:

https://asia.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/hot-issues/33389/

That was quick, and that lacks details.

"We have updated the Asymmetric Battle matchmaker to improve the combat efficiency of the VII-VIII tier team." Updated how?

Who knows? I did manage to win one this evening though, even though we had two bots on our team.

I still think the MM here is doing running on some really weird algorithms. When I take Akizuki, there are no DDs on the enemy team, I have to face 6 cruisers. When I take Gneisenau, there are 7 DDs on the enemy team. 

1,355 posts
5,718 battles
27 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

Who knows? I did manage to win one this evening though, even though we had two bots on our team.

I still think the MM here is doing running on some really weird algorithms. When I take Akizuki, there are no DDs on the enemy team, I have to face 6 cruisers. When I take Gneisenau, there are 7 DDs on the enemy team. 

Personally speaking the matchmaking has improved indeed. I have fought two Asymmetric battles with T6 ships this night and in both instances the enemy team consists of purely human players. And in one of the battle, the enemy team, consists of two Lexington, one Massachusetts, one Chapayev and one Kagero, managed to destroy most of our team.