Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

All Rolls, no Rocks.

8 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
1,156 posts
10,345 battles

A number of CCs have talked about the increased frequency of blowout games in Randoms recently.

While it doesn't seem to be quite as prevalent here on SEA, I have noticed a weird shift in the meta here too, more or less lining up with what the CCs have observed. This is a really recent and sudden change. I first noticed it around the time Ranked Sprint ended.

Suddenly there are a lot more games where all caps fall to one team early, while the other team just sits back and watches it happen.

Even if it doesn't go to that extreme finish, various outcomes all seem to originate from the same basic starting profile: a good chunk of both teams sit out the first 5-7 minutes of the game. You have good players unwilling to commit, and you have clueless players uncertain of what to do and having no one showing a lead for them to follow. Then you have this stage where several ships make moves, either moderately good players who understand what should be done but don't realize that without support it can't be done now, or moderately bad players who understand that something much be done but have no clue what. Mass casualties ensue, and often by mere luck one team gets a huge advantage. Then you have the final stage of the game, where you have several campers derping around doing nothing and a few remaining unicums desperately running against the clock to pick off the enemy ships and carry their team.

This is affecting all higher tier matches (T5+ but especially T8+), all days and times of day, and is independent of whether a CV is in play or not.

Some people are saying that it's caused by too many new players buying their way to T9-10 through the armory, but I don't think this is the reason. For one, the clueless players are not consistently in premium ships. Also, the timing doesn't match up, T9 premiums have been around well before this started.

Maybe all the skilled players are at CB? Or just taking time off before 9.8 drops? Or is there a sudden influx of new players recently? It feels to me like the basic problem is an vastly increased skill gap between the best player and the worst player on the team, and far fewer average-to-decent players filling the roster.

[MRI]
3,446 posts
14,846 battles

Hmmm I don't think this is a sudden change.

In my experience blowouts have always been happening and steadily getting worse. The difference is just that a lot more people are aware of it now because it is a CC talking point again.

[CLAY]
2,665 posts
12,012 battles

I’ve been trying to grind my Zao module lately, and I’m noticed something similar. Often, victory goes to the team who is more aggressive early, and then sits and guards caps, of the team with stealthy DDs who cap, and radar cruisers who prevent caps.

Now, I’m far from a good player, and my Zao gameplay is even worse, but I have trouble trying to stay within range while not getting focused. I’m often several KMs in front of all the BBs and super cruisers, and at the limit of my range, being targeted by sniper BBs, while my own BBs are behind me, and any DDs (not a guarantee) are stealthed. If I try to use island cover, which is map dependant, I lose sight.

Maybe it’s my lack of skill, but I feel like I’m bound to work within the play style of the BBs and DDs. Waiting for BBs to close in so I can attack without being the closest ship, waiting for DDs, or CV to spot so I can fire from cover.

Simply put, combination of long range ships and lack of DDs to spot.

[TLS]
3,935 posts
19,987 battles

Long standing issue on this server. It is just basically snowballing as people are following the questionable practices of other people. CCs are just slow to digest the issue. 

[BLESS]
1,156 posts
10,345 battles
1 hour ago, Grygus_Triss said:

I’ve been trying to grind my Zao module lately, and I’m noticed something similar. Often, victory goes to the team who is more aggressive early, and then sits and guards caps, of the team with stealthy DDs who cap, and radar cruisers who prevent caps.

Now, I’m far from a good player, and my Zao gameplay is even worse, but I have trouble trying to stay within range while not getting focused. I’m often several KMs in front of all the BBs and super cruisers, and at the limit of my range, being targeted by sniper BBs, while my own BBs are behind me, and any DDs (not a guarantee) are stealthed. If I try to use island cover, which is map dependant, I lose sight.

Maybe it’s my lack of skill, but I feel like I’m bound to work within the play style of the BBs and DDs. Waiting for BBs to close in so I can attack without being the closest ship, waiting for DDs, or CV to spot so I can fire from cover.

Simply put, combination of long range ships and lack of DDs to spot.

Trust me Zao is not in a good place right now, though vision is not usually a problem unless you stumble into a rare game with no CV.

The problem is finding safe spots to fire from without getting blapped. This relates to the recent issues I noted above because of the extreme tendency for BBs to sit out and camp, while your DDs rush for the cap. If you do the "right" thing and cover your DD, you will tend to be focused because the BBs are too far back to cover you.

It's not rocket science, it doesn't need unicums, but it does require teammates with a base level of competence.

One you lose that, the games just devolve into a series of random 1 on 1 events. One ship will push in and get killed, and so on.

• Cool 1

1 post
147 battles
On 9/3/2020 at 9:31 AM, Rina_Pon said:

Trust me Zao is not in a good place right now, though vision is not usually a problem unless you stumble into a rare game with no CV.

The problem is finding safe spots to fire from without getting blapped. This relates to the recent issues I noted above because of the extreme tendency for BBs to sit out and camp, while your DDs rush for the cap. If you do the "right" thing and cover your DD, you will tend to be focused because the BBs are too far back to cover you.

It's not rocket science, it doesn't need unicums, but it does require teammates with a base level of competence.

One you lose that, the games just devolve into a series of random 1 on 1 events. One ship will push in and get killed, and so on.

like that

[ANZAF]
391 posts
5,633 battles

Been grinding BBs of late, learning heaps and have really noticed the huge difference in rewards from playing my beloved DDs.

Find a good spot in the middle of the map so you can drop into stealth if you need to, blap cruisers and side on BB until a DD is spotted then blap them. Rinse and repeat. If your team loses then kite away blapping cruisers. Reap rewards. Its that combination of deep deep health pools giving huge staying power combined with regular significant damage output. Reasonable situational awareness is rewarded well.  

Personal highlight last night was 3.9m tanked damage in the Musashi against a couple of Yams and a Monarch while my supporting cruisers burnt them all.

God I can see the attraction and if you started in BBs then would be challenging to change into something which you had to work hard at and got questionable rewards. Its pretty sad when classes have an almost perfect alignment between primary tasks and reward system.

Edited by Puggsley

[SMOKE]
1,831 posts
15,649 battles

Does it really take that long for the MM or whoever to realize this ... No I do not think it's the new players though they contribute.

The meta is created simply because the game reward selfish camping , sniping and farming and in turn negatively incentive against vanguarding, screening, pushing, scouting, spotting, and generally forcing and fighting the front.

But add to that ships that they introduce that benefit and cater to such ... People keep hating Smolensk but in fact the Thunderer are worse , Stalingrad is hated but is it not almost all super cruiser are just as bad ( especially when you are just playing your no fun tech tree CA ) 

And then the disconnection between the light force who cannot benefit from the ranged sitting and in fact harmed most Vs the ranged hiding GUNS ..

And then thrown in CV, planes that there is no hard counter when the plane can hard counter you the surface ships 

And I can go on in finer details and more but I think you guys know it all too well .... Selfishness, unwilling to actually fight, and a game that reward cowards breed even more. Worse just breed worse ... 

Sign in to follow this