Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grygus_Triss

What I learnt from 3v3 T9 Ranked Sprint

13 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
2,841 posts
12,654 battles

Today I ranked out in sprint.

I don't claim to be a great player, so I was surprised  when I did so. I only participated in order to grind Iowa, and unfortunately ended 47000 short of Montana, but I did start on stock with only 20k.

A big thankyou to all those players who carried my sorry self, that said, I improved a lot towards the end.

So, what did I learn?

Well, to start with, take responsibility for yourself. You are 1/3 of the team, not 1/12, 1/7, or even 1/5 (while I always try to win in Randoms, I accept I don't have the ability to carry, so only do the best I can, and accept that the other players have as much responsibility as me), it can and will come down to you at some point.

Rolling together as a team can work, especially with the secondary specced ships, but more often, trying to spread out to catch enemy in crossfire works best. Tank and Flank tactics.

When in a BB like Iowa, you do not excel at CQC. Your job is either to bow tank at a distance of 5km plus, or sit out about 5-10km and flank. Getting close either means getting citted, or rammed.

About half of all BB VS BB duels end in ramming.

JB's are scary fast, do NOT think you can out maneuver one that's determined to ram you.

If the other team has a Kitakaze vs you team's any other DD, you are already at a disadvantage.

Do NOT get into CQC with a Pommern, only T9 BB with torpedos... whose idea was that?

3v3 format is much like the 1v1 dueling format back in Jan, you have slightly more tactics at your disposal, but you'r fighting less of a team, than individual opponents, outthink them individually.

If this season does not make people realize that angling is important, they never will.

On the rare cases you survive a driveby, don't turn in toward the enemy ship, turn away, protect broadside.

Probably a lot more, but that's enough for now. Never would have done this if I wasn't grinding Iowa, so thanks to all for putting up with someone not in it competitavly.

Cheers

• Cool 5

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,644 posts
7,803 battles

I found it to be a lot of fun as a ranked sprint and cant wait for the next season that has small teams like that.

• Cool 2

[CLAY]
2,841 posts
12,654 battles

Oh, and running Halsey with Expert Reloader and Expert Marksman is the way to go.

[NCOTS]
447 posts
11,075 battles
35 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

On the rare cases you survive a driveby, don't turn in toward the enemy ship, turn away, protect broadside.

This is why I love ships with a rear turret, after a drive by most people turn to use all guns to finish off targets but ultimately showing broadside to the rear turret, while I can stern tank the shot. 

Pommern is absolutely tailored for this sprint but heavily relies on the map as well, if its a tight map like Shatter they rule the cap fights, but if its a relatively open map like Mountain range  Georgia can kite it easily and out heal them. Didn't realize how good ramming flags are as well until this season.

On the other hand I was kind of pissed off by Iowas in random yesterday, decided to rub the dust off from mine and take it a spin to see how bad she was, turns out she's rather decent now, but still Soyuz beat her easily in terms of tankiness due to the better upper belt and deck, and having lesser superstructure.

Edited by rookieFTW

[CLAY]
2,841 posts
12,654 battles
10 minutes ago, rookieFTW said:

This is why I love ships with a rear turret, after a drive by most people turn to use all guns to finish off targets but ultimately showing broadside to the rear turret, while I can stern tank the shot. 

Pommern is absolutely tailored for this sprint but heavily relies on the map as well, if its a tight map like Shatter they rule the cap fights, but if its a relatively open map like Mountain range  Georgia can kite it easily and out heal them. Didn't realize how good ramming flags are as well until this season.

On the other hand I was kind of pissed off by Iowas in random yesterday, decided to rub the dust off from mine and take it a spin to see how bad she was, turns out she's rather decent now, but still Soyuz beat her easily in terms of tankiness due to the better upper belt and deck, and having lesser superstructure.

Yeah, having used Iowa to rank, I can say that, she isn't the best ship for the mode, but she isn't the worst either. She serves better in open water than tight islands where she can't maneuver. But she tanks well enough if angled correctly.

Overall, I'd say Iowas is good enough that it comes down to the captain's skill, but you cannot charge in like you would in Pommern or FDG. Just play smart. her guns are quite accurate as well.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,549 posts
20,043 battles
38 minutes ago, LtDan_IceCream said:

3v3 Ranked battles......

tenor.gif?itemid=18148131

Is that Umbrella Academy?

I just started watching.

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,549 posts
20,043 battles

I learned that "just one ranked battle in Pommern to see how she goes in it before I go to bed" combined with the lie of "nah I don't wanna do any serious PvP at the moment" leads to me being awake at 5.20am after a string of 17 battles that led me too...

1638933630_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_08.31-05_12_48_60.thumb.png.2a6124c7d052a8accc40ffc0141b9620.png

800351811_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_08.31-05_13_24_95.thumb.png.95c5a81d1b7a1ba8db6c1725646f8135.png

...and NOW I'm going to bed...

• Cool 1

[LBAS]
4,926 posts
11,043 battles

researchable DD almost powerless exclude yugumo or ..... high concealment

[NCOTS]
447 posts
11,075 battles
4 minutes ago, THAI_THIEF said:

researchable DD almost powerless exclude yugumo or ..... high concealment

Kitakaze and Mogador would like to disagree

• Cool 1

[151ST]
2,644 posts
10,486 battles

Congrats @Grygus_Triss!!!

Yeah flanking just rules this game mode where good positioning leads to a 1-2 ship advantage, which makes all the difference.

I didn't mind 3v3 in the end, I just got frustrated losing so many but topping XP every time minus maybe 2?

IMO all KM BBs from Gneis up should have torps... Give tirpitz a buf to MB reload or something to compensate no hydro.

That or improve all their turret angles by 5-10 degrees.

[LBAS]
4,926 posts
11,043 battles
2 hours ago, rookieFTW said:

Kitakaze and Mogador would like to disagree

any of flankers

[AN-DO]
Alpha Tester
86 posts
7,904 battles

I got to rank 4 but I didn't want to stress myself out (even though it shouldn't with this rank season), but a lot of times it was fun and you can tell if your teammates are carrying their side of the match. 1 match which our team lost by a small margin was when I realised that ramming was the best option but I fucked up and I know it and the enemy BB essentially fired on a full broadside team mate killing him instantly.

Sign in to follow this