You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
piaya

Drop Anchor as an Active Skill

53 comments in this topic

[REACH]
Beta Tester
107 posts
2,227 battles

Drop Anchors as an ability to quickly lose speed and stop. Available to all ship like damage control thingi.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

You know what happens when an anchor chain is dropped at speed? The chain just snaps and there's a nice big hole at the side of the ship...

The best way to quickly lose speed and stop is to send the engines into full reverse.

Edited by Syanda

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

The best way to quickly lose speed and stop is to send the engines into full reverse.

hit an island or iceberg

[REACH]
Beta Tester
107 posts
2,227 battles

You know what happens when an anchor chain is dropped at speed? The chain just snaps and there's a nice big hole at the side of the ship...

um there are so many physics breaking moments in WoWS aside from that

Beta Tester
146 posts
327 battles

um there are so many physics breaking moments in WoWS aside from that

So you are suggesting we break more physics and make all the physics nerds angrier?  

It is a horrible idea, there is no point in making the game anymore unrealistic than it already is.  

Beta Tester
1,007 posts
2,333 battles

Human r most genius than those aliens in Battleship. :v. Already using aim mods, but still cant hit the ship. Noob. Report the alienzzz plez

[REACH]
Beta Tester
107 posts
2,227 battles

So you are suggesting we break more physics and make all the physics nerds angrier?  

It is a horrible idea, there is no point in making the game anymore unrealistic than it already is.  

why not? if it makes the game more fun for better or worse then might aswell apply it. the primary use of it is to stop oneself from the path of an initial torpedo salvo from TB/DD/CL, since its much safer to be hit by cannons than torpedos. cannon fire from a long distance is totally RNG based anyway.

besides everyone pretty much suspects russian ships will outclass every other nations despite the opposite of the actual historical accounts.

Edited by piaya

Beta Tester
146 posts
327 battles

why not? if it makes the game more fun for better or worse then might aswell apply it. the primary use of it is to stop oneself from the path of an initial torpedo salvo from TB/DD/CL, since its much safer to be hit by cannons than torpedos. cannon fire from a long distance is totally RNG based anyway.

besides everyone pretty much suspects russian ships will outclass every other nations despite the opposite of the actual historical accounts.

I can't possibly see dropping anchors as making the game more fun. On the contrary I think it will make people frustrated, both those who use it because they may dodge one wave of torpedoes but find themeselves eating a 2nd full wave of torpedoes while they bring the anchor up and try to get speed, and those shooting those who use the ability because somebody broke the laws of physics to dodge their shells or torpedoes as well as making it too easy to shoot them afterwards.

And how does Russian bias (puts on tin foil hat) even relate to putting a drop anchor ability? 

[REACH]
Beta Tester
107 posts
2,227 battles

And how does Russian bias (puts on tin foil hat) even relate to putting a drop anchor ability? 

-------------

I can't possibly see dropping anchors as making the game more fun. On the contrary I think it will make people frustrated, both those who use it because they may dodge one wave of torpedoes but find themeselves eating a 2nd full wave of torpedoes while they bring the anchor up and try to get speed, and those shooting those who use the ability because somebody broke the laws of physics to dodge their shells or torpedoes as well as making it too easy to shoot them afterwards.

well you dont have to use it if you dont want to. Ships may also benefit from it from immediately stopping to hide behind either to cap or preventing a torpedo/cannon salvo ambush on the other side of an island.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

But club hauling only works for sails but not that much on dreads and moreso on post dreads.

Anchoring when you're at 3/4 speed to stop is a good idea tho

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

-------------

well you dont have to use it if you dont want to. Ships may also benefit from it from immediately stopping to hide behind either to cap or preventing a torpedo/cannon salvo ambush on the other side of an island.

as has been stated in previous threads about this very topic by varied ex and current serving sailors and merchant mariners.

if you drop the anchor while under way:

a.  you break the cable and it keeps going down to the bottom

b.  it hits the side of your ship and leaves a nasty big hole that the ocean rushes into and causes all sorts of mayhem

so if you want it to be introduced the way it should work is:

a.  you take flooding damage straight away

b.  you don't get the instant stop and turn that hollywood has made all so (in)famous

Beta Tester
146 posts
327 battles

Even if we do bar the fact that the chain will break and there will be a hole on the side of the ship, the ship would never stop immediately, the chain will run until it runs out of length. So you will keep going a few hundred meters well beyond an island and stop in the middle of a kill zone instead. 

Super Tester
1,779 posts
328 battles

DO WE EVEN KNOW HOW DEEP THE WATER IS IN-GAME x'D

I mean, I sank near an island, knowing that area is shallow water, and yet the water absorbed my ship like it was nothing x'D

anyways, back to topic, answer is no, reason same as above~ could be worse though kek~

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Ha Ha Ha! 

Dropping the anchor whilst ship is under way has bad consequences. It will not stop the ship. There will be an almighty BANG when the hawser breaks.....And then there will be some red faces about.

[REACH]
Beta Tester
107 posts
2,227 battles

Ha Ha Ha! 

Dropping the anchor whilst ship is under way has bad consequences. It will not stop the ship. There will be an almighty BANG when the hawser breaks.....And then there will be some red faces about.

like this 

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

DO WE EVEN KNOW HOW DEEP THE WATER IS IN-GAME x'D

I mean, I sank near an island, knowing that area is shallow water, and yet the water absorbed my ship like it was nothing x'D

anyways, back to topic, answer is no, reason same as above~ could be worse though kek~

Christmas Island harbour is 300m straight down - no beach and you can't anchor, you have to tie up to the set buoys. 

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

-------------

then DD/torpedo cruisers' torpedo will never hit as you can make a sudden stop,

torpedo has been too easy to evade currently

and BB has been OP

if WG make this change, it will turn this game into World of Battleship

this is not just Physics breaking, but also balance breaking

it will ruin the game

Super Tester
1,779 posts
328 battles

Christmas Island harbour is 300m straight down - no beach and you can't anchor, you have to tie up to the set buoys. 

I mean, I saw a beach near the island in-game and yet the water sucked me deep (no pun intended)

and speaking of shallow waters, If I remember correctly, the next patch introduces shallow water.. so, ships sunk on shallow waters become water hazards in-game? :v

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

I mean, I saw a beach near the island in-game and yet the water sucked me deep (no pun intended)

and speaking of shallow waters, If I remember correctly, the next patch introduces shallow water.. so, ships sunk on shallow waters become water hazards in-game? :v

target ;)

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

target ;)

So now campers gets friendly dead ships to camp behind now? :teethhappy:

And talking about anchor dropping, it will do nothing. Your standard anchor cable only allows for shallow water anchoring of the ship to prevent drifting. Most of the maps we fight it have water deeper than that, and you anchor will just  keep going and going and going then snap the chain. 

Lets assume you take physic out of the picture and your chain and ship can withstand the gravity produced,  you don't just "full stop" on the spot, the anchor still have to drag on the floor till it gets enough friction to stop, so you are still going to slam into the enemy torpedoes either way, worst off now since you are tied to the anchor and cannot maneuver any other way.