Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grygus_Triss

Unique Upgrade Missions - Worth the Time?

16 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
2,829 posts
12,627 battles

Ok, I have been ignoring these for... 8 months, because of my mission to unlock the other lines, but I should probably focus on these before they dissapear (since its unlikely I'm going to use RB anytime soon).

I currently have 6x Unique Upgrade Missions active, and 144 days to complete them.

The ships I have them active for are;

• Des Moines
  • Worchester
  • Zao
  • Shimakaze
  • G. Kurfurst
  • Minotaur

I've already done mission 1 on DM and Zao, but barely started the rest.

Question is, are any of them worth it? Or should I just leave them and go back to my other mission.

As a casual player, I'm really not concerned with being competitive, and really would only get them for completionism sake, or to increase fun when playing.

Thoughts?

[FORCE]
2,420 posts
12,266 battles

I have done the Minotaur one. But I never use her UU because I prefer radar than smoke. Sure I can still use radar with the UU, but losing a bit of maximum concealment makes radar kinda useless as she cannot permanently trap any red DDs exposed by it..Stealth radar is what Minotaur is best at:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[NCOTS]
433 posts
11,034 battles

I do those missions for the sake of getting extra credits😂

But actually they can be completed by just normally playing the ships on a daily win basis (the free xp stage might require some free xp flags). And these missions are better than the research bureau, since we are rewarded by playing our hard earned T10 ships, and doesn't need to regrind a whole tech tree line just to get an upgrade. 

If I am not wrong WG is leaning towards making the unique upgrades a sidegrade rather than superior upgrade than the normal ones, so if you are comfortable with the current upgrade settings on one of the ships feel free to ignore it. But having them enriches the gameplay choices so I suggest do the missions on the ships that you enjoy playing. I ignore my Khaba missions as I am still finding a reason to play her at the current meta. 

[SEARN]
1,050 posts
16,045 battles
1 hour ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Question is, are any of them worth it? Or should I just leave them and go back to my other mission.

As a casual player, I'm really not concerned with being competitive, and really would only get them for completionism sake, or to increase fun when playing.

Thoughts?

Yeah I'm in the same boat.

I have all the tech tree T10s except for the CVs. The legend mods I have got so far are Yamato, Shima, GK, Moskva, Montana, Repub, Henri, Mino, Hindy, and Conq.

The only ones of those I actually use are Yamato, Shima, Moskva, Hindy and Conq.

I have the missions active for all the rest but they are in wildly different states of completion. Mostly around stage 2 or 3. Seeing the recent, and in my opinion uncalled for, nerfs to ones like for example the UU for Zao, my interest in getting any more has greatly diminished. If I do them great, if not, not a huge loss. I will absolutely not be buying any from the RB if I don't get the missions I have active done before the end of the year. At the end of the day they are never going to give you some kind of extra massive advantage that good game knowledge and in depth knowledge of your ship would not give.

The legend mods as a whole were according to everything I have read or heard meant to offer an alternate play style for each ship. However some like Moskva and Yamato clearly just re-enforced the already established play style of the ship. While others like Montana were just bizarre and not really worth giving up the default module in that slot for the UU. Not to mention the plainly baffling choices made for some of the new UU's for the newer T10's in game that came this patch. Then locking pretty mediocre UU's behind the RB wall and charging the absurd amount of 19200 research points for them..........

I really feel that this shows just how little actual game experience or understanding the people that make these decisions actually have. The concept as a whole was a great idea. In my opinion poorly handled and now doubly so locked behind the RB wall.

• Cool 1

[151ST]
2,591 posts
10,407 battles
15 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Ok, I have been ignoring these for... 8 months, because of my mission to unlock the other lines, but I should probably focus on these before they dissapear (since its unlikely I'm going to use RB anytime soon).

I currently have 6x Unique Upgrade Missions active, and 144 days to complete them.

• Des Moines
  • Worchester
  • Zao
  • Shimakaze
  • G. Kurfurst
  • Minotaur

Thoughts?

My assessment:

• Des Moines. Yes, usable.
  • Worcester. Yes but no.
  • Zao. Yes, not as great as it once was.
  • Shima. Yes
  • GK. No but yes. Buffs secondaries and things in exchange for range. 19km range is tough.
  • Mino. Yes if you play full smoke.

However... ...

As a casual player, probably not. None of them are crucial and none of them are really that great a trade. Zao is still solid but TBH if you don't want to play a huge amount of games in Zao I wouldn't. Shima's is usable but hardly necessary.

If you had to pick two; DM and Zao are probably the better ones but Zao is a hard sell, she's a great ship but just power crept to hell whereas DM has stood the test of time.

• Cool 1

[TLS]
4,169 posts
20,346 battles

Go:

DM
Mino
Zao
GK/Shima

Did I leave any out? No. DM/Mino's are most useful. Zao's just became debatable. Shima is terrible unless you play snipership. GK I don't have but at the moment, it is not worth my effort.

Currently what I have left is HIV, Gearing, YY, France of which I'm concentrating on Gearing. The others are meh considering the effort I need to put in those ships.

• Cool 1

[TF44]
459 posts
20,395 battles

since they are technically cheaper(imo) than rb i'd say do it. things will just get more expensive over time

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,515 posts
19,912 battles

I'm nearly done Giant Knackwurst, have yet to do Des Memes and Monty.

Will def do all 3 before expiry.

[MRI]
3,599 posts
15,465 battles
On 8/9/2020 at 2:50 PM, Grygus_Triss said:

• Des Moines
  • Worchester
  • Zao
  • Shimakaze
  • G. Kurfurst
  • Minotaur

Thoughts?

Personally I am trying to complete them not because I actually use them, but because I really dislike using the Research Bureau and so I want to avoid using the RB to obtain the upgrades If I ever decide on getting them. I made it my goal to complete all the upgrade missions before they are removed at the end of this year.

I have no idea how often you play, but if it were me your list looks very doable since I actually have more missions to complete because had all the upgrade missions activated.

I have completed missions for the Haku, Midway, GK, Yamato, Republique, Conqueror, Hindenburg, Moskva, and Yue Yang.

With the exception of the Grozovoi and Khaba (which are only on the 2nd stage) the rest of my missions are on the final stage (the base xp grind), with Shimakaze and Z-52 being only a few games away from completion.

[CLAY]
2,829 posts
12,627 battles
6 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

Personally I am trying to complete them not because I actually use them, but because I really dislike using the Research Bureau and so I want to avoid using the RB to obtain the upgrades If I ever decide on getting them. I made it my goal to complete all the upgrade missions before they are removed at the end of this year.

I have no idea how often you play, but if it were me your list looks very doable since I actually have more missions to complete because had all the upgrade missions activated.

I have completed missions for the Haku, Midway, GK, Yamato, Republique, Conqueror, Hindenburg, Moskva, and Yue Yang.

With the exception of the Grozovoi and Khaba (which are only on the 2nd stage) the rest of my missions are on the final stage (the base xp grind), with Shimakaze and Z-52 being only a few games away from completion.

I play a couple of hours almost every day, I still call myself “casual“, because I am not concerned with being competitive. It’s about the collecting for me.

As such, yours is probably the best sounding reason To do these.

[MRI]
3,599 posts
15,465 battles
5 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

I play a couple of hours almost every day, I still call myself “casual“, because I am not concerned with being competitive. It’s about the collecting for me.

As such, yours is probably the best sounding reason To do these.

Sounds like we play about the same amount. I too play about a couple of hours on average per day, though lately I have been playing less because I am bit burnt out with WoWs.

Imo the hardest mission is the base xp grind of the final stage. The first 3 stages can be boosted with camos and flags, while the 4th stage (winning matches) can be easily done by spamming Coop.

But overall these missions are far easier than grinding up the lines repeatedly imo (unless you wallet warrior your way through the lines). Plus you actually get to play the Tier 10 you worked so hard to get. I find it silly that you have to work so hard to grind up all the way to Tier 10 ... and then you reset the line instead of playing that Tier 10 to get the upgrade.

• Cool 1

[SMOKE]
2,004 posts
16,195 battles

I cannot comment on the others as I never had them or play them but I had on my Shima the unique Upgrade, before they change it to current state its practically useless , now its useful in a somewhat restricted manner ; if you plan on using the 8KM or eve the 12KM torp and aim to push in to snipe this upgrade is not for you ; fighting mid to close rage mean you had to maneuver ad once you maneuver you need to transverse your weapons and the upgrade's penalty on torp tube transverse simply made it unusable, but if you plan on playing mid to long range using the 12Km or 20KM torp , that transverse is more like slow Cruiser guns and can be managed , and of course with a hugh boost to the reload ...

But at those range the possibility of making a clean hit significantly diminished and the usage of the torp is more for support , say denying enemy a push, entry to area , and so and they are very effective at that , no one can ignore a wall of 15 torp incoming , especially not one that can reload as fast as that upgrade and coupled with other upgrade. Since the change / Buff I had re-spec my Shima to work with this upgrade and I shall say its viable, and working, though not the kill / farm help one might want , and for once it do allow a side grade instead of an upgrade cause it really does incur a certain limitation on the play while buffing other part of the play. That stated, Shima ( and pretty much all IJN Torps ) is still unfairly having their torp's detection range set at a spec which is way over done at then the time they change it and further more so now they made even more countering mechanism and detection mechanism

Edited by Mechfori

[NZAUS]
Beta Tester
312 posts
8,292 battles
On 8/9/2020 at 5:50 PM, Grygus_Triss said:

or to increase fun

ComicWhat.png

[CLAY]
2,829 posts
12,627 battles

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I’m going to focus on unlocking these just to unlock them for now, starting with DM, Mino and zao. And see how far I get.

Cheers

• Cool 1

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
1,400 posts
5,031 battles

When will my cv, venezia and kremlin get legendary upgrades?.

I got the shimakaze and yamato upgrades, but its a lot of work for not much.

I definitely went out of my way to complete them.

[151ST]
2,591 posts
10,407 battles
3 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I’m going to focus on unlocking these just to unlock them for now, starting with DM, Mino and zao. And see how far I get.

Cheers

Min-max where you can with Coop, etc...
The big grind should be the last stage

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this