Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Arzach

Thunderer and Ohio AP Comparison

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

15
[LU-NA]
Member
98 posts
3,439 battles

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PASB510&modules=1111&upgrades=000000&commander=PCW001&consumables=111&pos=0

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PBSB510&modules=1111&upgrades=000000&commander=PCW001&consumables=111&pos=0

Based on this web, I found no much difference between the AP of both ships.

Is it safe to assume both ships have similar AP performance? Can Thunderer be played with full AP just like any other BB with comparable AP? 

Edited by Arzach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,937
[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,644 posts
7,803 battles

Don't be fooled into thinking that the Thunderer is just a HE spammer.  Its AP is devastating and there is no reason why you couldn't play it full AP but why would you when you have that glorious fire-starting ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,281
[FORCE]
Member
2,465 posts
12,337 battles

I think I read somewhere that Thunderer doesn't have the short-fused AP like the standard UK BBs, hence the good penetration. I mean, the whole other reason why UK BBs are only spamming HE most of the time is their AP is totally crap to penetrate anything with decent armor at longer ranges.

The most obvious difference between Thunderer's AP & short-fused AP is that the latter will less likely to overpen the broadsiding cruisers. You can't devstrike a full HP Smolensk at close range with the former, but you can with the latter.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
646
[GS]
Video Contributor, Beta Tester, Clantest Coordinator
2,794 posts
13,924 battles
1 hour ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Don't be fooled into thinking that the Thunderer is just a HE spammer.  Its AP is devastating and there is no reason why you couldn't play it full AP but why would you when you have that glorious fire-starting ability.

Me Conq AP spammer :3

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,250
[REPOI]
[REPOI]
Member
6,597 posts
26,586 battles

the thing is, you dont need to risk using AP on UK BBs

ships broadsideing? 10k HE

ship angled away when you fired? still 10k HE

ship is bow on? yeah, still 10k HE

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,569
[151ST]
Member
2,651 posts
10,487 battles
4 hours ago, CV_NMSL said:

the thing is, you dont need to risk using AP on UK BBs

ships broadsideing? 10k HE

ship angled away when you fired? still 10k HE

ship is bow on? yeah, still 10k HE

Because I have principles? 😉

I personally play Conq mostly with HE (obviously) and Thunderer mostly with AP.

Thunderer just do whatever works for you.

Edited by S4pp3R
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,250
[REPOI]
[REPOI]
Member
6,597 posts
26,586 battles
1 hour ago, S4pp3R said:

Because I have principles? 😉

I personally play Conq mostly with HE (obviously) and Thunderer mostly with AP.

Thunderer just do whatever works for you.

let's be real here, thunderer players in principle have no principle =p

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,029
[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,339 posts
11,164 battles
11 hours ago, Arzach said:

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PASB510&modules=1111&upgrades=000000&commander=PCW001&consumables=111&pos=0

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PBSB510&modules=1111&upgrades=000000&commander=PCW001&consumables=111&pos=0

Based on this web, I found no much difference between the AP of both ships.

Is it safe to assume both ships have similar AP performance? Can Thunderer be played with full AP just like any other BB with comparable AP? 

Thunderer has better AP than Ohio.  Thunderer's shells have shorter flight times, better pen, and are MUCH more accurate.

Thunderer is best played using mostly AP, but switching to HE against bow in BB's if these are your only available targets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
1,273 posts
13,219 battles

Thunderer AP is normal and reliable, with a standard fuse time (0.33s) and good dispersion. Quite unlike the other UK Battleships which can be a bit disappointing at long range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×