You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
legionary2099

What i think about German CV

11 comments in this topic

[LNA]
2,048 posts
14,163 battles

Having played the IV, VI and VIII i think they need to be reworked and are not ready for this server consumption.

Well long story short : they are hot garbage because of inconsistency and too much specialization thrown in.

This CV is heavily reliant on enemy making basic mistakes (good luck finding that on this particular server) and circumstantial map pool.

This map require very specific maps to work and 2 of it's 3 attacking option only work on one class of enemy ship. Even then it require a lot of RNG and bad enemy mistakes.

Rockets : They are only good against lightly armoured cruiser. Cruiser with good inner armor (alot of them) can get away scot free with showing broadside as any slight angling will generate lots of pen and overpen that do nothing. As they are AP, they don't break modules or AA often either. BB will tank these rockets all day and laugh (no fire) while DD are unharmed as they don't break critical modules like HE rocket. Also, making rockets go against cruiser who are most often AA ship is counter intuitive and not productive; if said cruiser park behind island (they will), you have no option to clear them without taking disporportional lost. 

AP bomb : like all AP bomb, they sucked, because inconsistency. It doesn't help that since german dive bombers fly high, they cannot use terrain to mask their approach. Not too different from other dive bomber, but they lack what make other bombers usable : durability. Bomb take a lot of time setting up, German bomber don't have anywhere enough durability to tank enough hits to attack BB. Also , the available targets are severely limited : French BB , US BB are not good targets (their armor resist aerial cit quite well);  USSR and IJN are neutral while German and English BB are quite rare nowadays. Also since BB playground is the outskirt of the map it takes eternity to get there and do something. TL:DR : IJN AP bomb are better , still fast and can go low behind terrain to slam dunk things. The heal is a trap , German bomber will not survive past it's duration. 

Torpedo : the only redeeming feature of the line, except British torpedo are better than them, still maneuverable and can kill dd like them. I find German torpedoes are good at steal killing, but is bad at anything else. To kill DD with it, you still need atleast 2 attack run uninterrupted ( 1 force turn and 1 real attack). With DD being cautious, just no. The torp only likeable feature is that it's fast. And they are the only reliable way of attacking cruiser , BB. You are heavily in need of these fragile planes throughout the game because of consistency.

To top all that up, german planes are fragile , setting up chain attacks against same target is next to impossible ( turning radii is massive); even chaining multiple target in a straight run risk you losing all planes in the attack. German CV is at great risk of being deplaned.

That said : what's they are good at ? I my opinion, they are the perfect scout bot. Encourage really passive gameplay ( and i think unhealthy for the game too) of loitering around a specific area and steal kill anything your team pick. In my games i often rack up 100k+ assist spotting (unlike other CV) simply because this CV line cannot join the fun or risk playing mario inside the match.

Edited by legionary2099

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
1,402 posts
5,044 battles

Thanks for review, I posted same problems under URLGuys main posting of the german cv release in information.

I bought the tier 6 Erich Loewenblowen, and have the weser, same problems, aiming sucks and cant use islands as attack cover, planes are exposed to exorbitant amounts of AA and die horribly.

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,745 posts
5,766 battles

Seydlitz ( weser if you called it ) DB is awfully weak. Especially the low numbers of PC 500 AP Bombs. like you only can drop 2.

[LNA]
2,048 posts
14,163 battles
4 hours ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

Seydlitz ( weser if you called it ) DB is awfully weak. Especially the low numbers of PC 500 AP Bombs. like you only can drop 2.

The way WG skewed bombs toward dropping on the edge of the circle instead of center make CV no skill all luck. Lining up your drop do very little to compensate for the flawed RNG. There will be games where you get to punish mistakes, and get no result.

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
1,402 posts
5,044 battles

Pro tip, don't attack any russian ships until they are the last enemy.

You are just wasting precious time and potential DPM you could be focusing on other ships, and actually scoring hits.

Russian ships have highest amount of misses, and return the lowest damage if you do hit.

I'm finding every single enemy cruiser I have attacked with my german rocket planes turns away from my planes as top priority, even if they turn a broadside to my teams ships.

This has happened every attack of every game so far, its like I'm only playing pro players at tier 6.

I did score a double citadel hit from one rocket attack salvo, but the damage was actually low, 4-6k range.

Another issue is the german cv have no weapon that is effective against dd. Rockets overpen, bombs miss, and torpedoes are last resort and only for sluggish BBs.

[-BRO-]
511 posts
11,976 battles

I've only played the T4 so far, and you're bang on for it. It's so hard to use, I can't imagine the others being much better.

[FORCE]
2,448 posts
12,284 battles

Sooo.... Those early fear mongering didn't become true. A lot of people were against this line because the AP rocket & bombs would wreck the cruisers left and right, or so they were supposed to do.

On the bright side, this line doesn't encourage the players to bully the DDs like usual. But at the same time, if the team with these German CVs cannot substitute the role to counter the enemy DDs, well they lose.

I'll stick with my flying burgers & biscuits:Smile_trollface:

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
1,402 posts
5,044 battles

Another pro tip for german cv players:

tech tree and tier 6 premium erich loewenhardt have exactly the same broken, handicapped rocket and bomb aiming/ flying techniques, so you CANNOT USE ISLANDS FOR COVER ON ATTACKS, AND are exposed to extra amounts of AA (with tiers 4-6 having NO REPAIR TO BOMBERS which was added to mitigate extra AA damage YOU WILL SUFFER).

The Graf Zepplin aiming and planes are exactly like any other nation.... NOT BROKEN AND WORKING FINE.... BUT... be aware Graf Zepplin is the WORST performing tier 8 premium cv.

The german cv require an extreme high skill ceiling to play well, and a game in mine feels like I've gone 3 rounds with Mike Tyson, and then I STILL LOSE the games, 100k dmg in tier 6 erich for example.

Another pro tip for erich loewenhardt, don't bother spending skills on secondary build, I've got over 7km secondaries, but dds always attack me while invisible, my secondaries do NOTHING, and I die horribly to one torpedo salvo, this has happened far too often already.

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
1,402 posts
5,044 battles

Damn it copy and paste is messed up.

Long story: EXTREME skill ceiling, just back from win.

Here is what it took to barely scrape in the win:

55 rocket hits, 7 citadels, 3 sunk, 10 torpedo hits, 5 bomb hits, 90k dmg in Erich Loewenhardt.

Was ONLY able to get this because was meeting tier 5 and 6 enemy.

If was tier 6-8 I'd get between 0-20k dmg MAX.

Finished top of team by 300 base xp, and we barely won, after FULL 20 min toil. 3 ships on team survived.

THAT'S WHAT 3 ROUNDS WITH MIKE TYSON LOOKS LIKE.

Exhausting!.

Seriously, casual players steer well away from german cv.

[LNA]
2,048 posts
14,163 battles
2 hours ago, Dread_Pirate_BlackHeart said:

Damn it copy and paste is messed up.

Long story: EXTREME skill ceiling, just back from win.

Here is what it took to barely scrape in the win:

55 rocket hits, 7 citadels, 3 sunk, 10 torpedo hits, 5 bomb hits, 90k dmg in Erich Loewenhardt.

Was ONLY able to get this because was meeting tier 5 and 6 enemy.

If was tier 6-8 I'd get between 0-20k dmg MAX.

Finished top of team by 300 base xp, and we barely won, after FULL 20 min toil. 3 ships on team survived.

THAT'S WHAT 3 ROUNDS WITH MIKE TYSON LOOKS LIKE.

Exhausting!.

Seriously, casual players steer well away from german cv.

I don't think unicums will find german CV palatable either. Other nations do not suffer from such a specific criteria to perform well.

Meeting or creating such scenarios is seriously up to chance in a lot of times.

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
1,402 posts
5,044 battles
16 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

I don't think unicums will find german CV palatable either. Other nations do not suffer from such a specific criteria to perform well.

Meeting or creating such scenarios is seriously up to chance in a lot of times.

YUP just back from battle where I got 8 citadels.

8 cits in any other class of ship translates to a lot of damage, and points team in game winning direction.

4 cits in german cv is 9k dmg.

second set of 4 cits (got both sets from same rocket strike so 4 cits per rocket strike) was 10k dmg.

Team went on to lose easily, so these cv are just far too much heavy lifting to carry any given team.