Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Cyanide7662

Des Moines R.O.F

10 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
210 posts
4,306 battles

Serious question time. Ive noticed somewhat of an imbalance since getting into the higher tiers over a month ago, so ive given it time to actually observe it and take everything into consideration. Every time ive had a Des Moines in game, its been able to tear everything apart within seconds. No other cruiser or destroyer has lasted more than 30 seconds when they come across a Des Moines, and a full health Amagi barely lasts a minute. (Especially with that aim mod, and the obscenely easy to pen citadels on the IJN cruisers, but thats another story....)

A Des Moines can fire 3 full salvos in the time it takes a Senjo, Ibuki and Myoko to fire one, with more damage no-less. While sure, the IJN might have torpedoes, but by the time they can aim and launch them, their game is already over because of how much of a pummeling the Des Moines puts out. As "historical" as it is, this is a game, and needs to be a balance between the counterparts.

Personally, i dont think its balanced in the slightest. If a Des Moines can kill a Senjo within 30 seconds, then what point is there to go up the IJN cruiser line? What incentive is there? Again, sure, they have torpedoes, but you would be destroyed by the time you launch them, and even IF the Senjo manages to kill the Des Moines, it would be on such low health, that the next thing that shoots it means certain death.

I personally think that it needs a ROF nerf of at least 2 seconds, or the high end IJN cruisers need a damage or ROF buff. Once 0.3.1 comes out and removes all mods as stated (do not go back on your word WG....) i will again see how the removal of the aim mod affects the survival rate going against Des Moines', but at this point im not holding my breath.

Does anyone else think its too fast? -  If not, what reasons could you give me to say that there is a balance between the Des Moines and Senjo? 

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/ca-134.htm

The key to the postwar heavy cruiser design was the fully automatic 8-inch 55cal. gun. The Bureau of Ordnance (BuOrd), even prior to the war, had been working on larger guns firing cased ammunition, a 6-inch 47 dual purpose, and later (May 1943) the 8-inch 55. The automatic loading equipment allowed a much higher rate of fire (7 rounds per minute per barrel by design, about twice what previous heavy cruisers could achieve); reloading could occur at any elevation, giving even this major caliber gun a limited antiaircraft capability

Rate of fire should be around the 8.5 sec mark, according to the design specs

Alpha Tester
210 posts
4,306 battles

Exactly, Thank you.

In game however, its 10 rounds a minute, thats 6 seconds, which is just ridiculous for exactly the reasons ive stated. Even having its ROF drop to 8.5 seconds, it still could be firing too fast, BUT! it would at least give its opponents more of a chance than it does currently.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

speaking of which, doesn't the Baltimore pack the same guns albeit without the whole ERMAGHERD ERTERLERDER? iirc the damn thing is quite a solid cruiser.

off topic, I am starting to revile the Pensacola... HARD.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

8.5 sec reload time is still OP in my opinion.

It's fine to discard historical accuracy as long as it balances gameplay. If we were to keep its RoF much higher than any other Cruiser, there needs to be something else to act as balance factor, maybe nerfed mobility and/or durability.

Alpha Tester
210 posts
4,306 battles

I dont think reduced mobility or durability would help too much, as even then, the IJN cruisers would still only be able to fire one salvo to its three. If theres to be a balancing factor between them, it needs to be with the guns.

I myself know where the citadel is on the Des Moines, but i could only get off a couple of ranging shots, and one short salvo, two if im lucky. Even if the Senjo got extra healthpoints or armor, that would only be delaying the inevitable, still taking more hits than dealing out. 

Super Tester
1,677 posts

speaking of which, how is her shot deviation though? unless she's as accurate as her gun directors can go, the shot deviation can be the thing to be messed up and the loading time tweaked to 9.32 seconds or so.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

I believe most of us experienced the Des Moines' ROF in the space event (It's the Galaxy). And yes, it beats up pretty much all the other tier X ships with its rapid reload. Wonder if there'll be some balance to it in 0.3.1, going to wait and see.

Alpha Tester
210 posts
4,306 battles

speaking of which, how is her shot deviation though? unless she's as accurate as her gun directors can go, the shot deviation can be the thing to be messed up and the loading time tweaked to 9.32 seconds or so.

It doesnt seem to be all that inaccurate, every time ive come across one, at least 4 shots hit out of every salvo, which is still enough to ruin your day lol

A dispersion and reload increase would be a good solvent to the problem actually, but especially the reload.

I believe most of us experienced the Des Moines' ROF in the space event (It's the Galaxy). And yes, it beats up pretty much all the other tier X ships with its rapid reload. Wonder if there'll be some balance to it in 0.3.1, going to wait and see.

So far from what pre-patch notes ive seen, theyre not doing anything to the Des Moines, closest thing is that theyre upping the reload time on the Baltimore by a second or two, which then makes that one a problem against Ibukis...

Edited by Cyanide7662

Sign in to follow this