Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Reinhard_of_Avercland

Legacy Launcher does not work anymore

38 comments in this topic

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,362 posts
15,014 battles

So basically we really have to use the WGC. But yeah the change has always been inevitable. Just FYI.

Edit:

Surprisingly the WGC still keeps my old IGN.:Smile_hiding:

Edited by Reinhard_of_Avercland

[TLS]
5,409 posts
22,192 battles

WGC has become a bootstrapper. It selflaunches after you exit it.

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,362 posts
15,014 battles
1 minute ago, dejiko_nyo said:

WGC has become a bootstrapper. It selflaunches after you exit it.

I just noticed that. I have yet to encounter any of those old issues so far though.

However some players have complained about the mods that have been deleted by the WGC as it updates the game. And WG has just announced it after the update.

[TWR]
1,327 posts
5,624 battles
3 hours ago, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

So basically we really have to use the WGC. But yeah the change has always been inevitable. Just FYI.

Edit:

Surprisingly the WGC still keeps my old IGN.:Smile_hiding:

Yep,they forced it only recently.If you want to minimise how much you use it,then make a shortcut direct to your WorldOfWarships.exe and launch the game from there when you want to play.

Only use the WGC for updating the game.

[TLS]
5,409 posts
22,192 battles
13 minutes ago, BanditSE1977 said:

Yep,they forced it only recently.If you want to minimise how much you use it,then make a shortcut direct to your WorldOfWarships.exe and launch the game from there when you want to play.

Only use the WGC for updating the game.

Doesn't properly work anymore. Wgc will attempt to stealth launch. Launching wows.exe will lauch wargaming advertising centre first. Exiting it in game will result it in stealth launching. No other launcher I have is this parasitic, not even the ubisoft one. 

Edited by dejiko_nyo
  • Cool 1

[SALT]
2,202 posts
10,571 battles

Just use steam launcher, make all your game in 1 library 😎

[-CAT-]
4,303 posts
15,733 battles
5 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Doesn't properly work anymore. Wgc will attempt to stealth launch. Launching wows.exe will lauch wargaming advertising centre first. Exiting it in game will result it in stealth launching. No other launcher I have is this parasitic, not even the ubisoft one. 

For Real?

WG is really hellbent on p*****g on their players.

Let me remind them:
PR PR Fiasco
NTC / RB
CV Rework
WGC
Operations nerf and removal
Forced to play Random
Bots (scripted) infested Server
Pay to Advance walls

What else? (Feel free to add)

If this is WG / Lesta way of saying "we want new players and we want to silence / censor the old players because of our past mistakes", then it's partially working.

Play, don't pay.

• Cool 1

[-CAT-]
4,303 posts
15,733 battles
6 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Holy $#!* It's effin real!

We are always forced by the game / developers to play by their rules, but I have never seen such heracy.

It's not even mentioned in the patch notes.

Not only I have to monitor my bandwith, I also have to share more process with this parasite? Unacceptable!

Not to mention those players, especially CIS players, who can not afford to upgrade their machines at the moment. Or can not purchase a machine due to supply shortage.

WG / Lesta is also like denying that there is a pandemic at the moment. Not everyone can go out. Not everyone was lucky enough to keep their jobs. Not everyone can currently pay, let alone play in this current situation.

WG / Lesta thinks it's BAU, but it's not.

Just because it's not affecting them, it's not affecting others / their customers.

Why do I feel that WG is trying to beat EA / Origin to be the number 1 most hated game company. Cuz frankly, they are on the right path.

Edited by S0und_Theif

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,362 posts
15,014 battles
27 minutes ago, S0und_Theif said:

Let me remind them:
PR PR Fiasco
NTC / RB
CV Rework
WGC
Operations nerf and removal
Forced to play Random
Bots (scripted) infested Server
Pay to Advance walls

What else? (Feel free to add)

WG removed all mods from the players' hard drive during the update that are actually legal, and announced the reason after most players have updated the game.

I lost 30 AL voice mods, which fortunately can be remade again easily. But there are mods that each could take hours, or days to complete (like skin mods).

On the bright side, I finally have a good reason to use my Google Drive. I mean I can just backup the mods onto the different folder, but I'd rather be more careful this time.

[-CAT-]
4,303 posts
15,733 battles
9 minutes ago, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

WG removed all mods from the players' hard drive during the update that are actually legal, and announced the reason after most players have updated the game.

I lost 30 AL voice mods, which fortunately can be remade again easily. But there are mods that each could take hours, or days to complete (like skin mods).

On the bright side, I finally have a good reason to use my Google Drive. I mean I can just backup the mods onto the different folder, but I'd rather be more careful this time.

:Smile_facepalm:

And the worse part is, no warning. Not even in patch notes. Forum admin or playerbase was the one who tried to find and fix the problems.

WG makes 1 step forward, but makes 3 steps back.

You are lucky that you can fix your mods quickly.

As for backup, also get a external HDD or Flash Drive. Cloud is only useful if you have a stable connection and if the company / service is still active.

If they suddenly said that they will sell out those assets or filed for bankruptcy / closure, those data may not be recoverable. It can happen.

Still a good idea to keep a backup for yourself.

Edited by S0und_Theif

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,362 posts
15,014 battles
1 minute ago, S0und_Theif said:

:Smile_facepalm:

And the worse part is, no warning. Not even in patch notes. Forum admin or playerbase was the one who tried to find and fix the problems.

WG makes 1 step forward but 3 steps back.

You are lucky that you can fix your mods quickly.

As for backup, also get a external HDD or Flash Drive. Cloud is only useful if you have a stable connection and if the company / service is still active.

If they suddenly said that they will sell out those assets or filed for bankruptcy / closure, those data may not be recoverable. It can happen.

Still a good idea to keep a backup for yourself.

Well, I actually have managed to remake 7 of them today because I'm thoroughly disappointed about the whole new patch update. Most of my games today are only in the training room, to test those voice mods without screwing the other battle modes should the game suddenly crashed due to the mods.

I initially thought the same. But I don't think Google can go down that easily, it's just too big to fall. As fishy as Google is, it is still reliable enough.

[-CAT-]
4,303 posts
15,733 battles
1 minute ago, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

I initially thought the same. But I don't think Google can go down that easily, it's just too big to fall. As fishy as Google is, it is still reliable enough.

I really admire your confidence and you have a good point. Google (aka Alphabet) is too big to fail.

But just a friendly advice, don't be so sure.

FB is also big, also fishy, but it's currently facing an "ad-mageddon". They may get through this, but I doubt they will get through this unscaved.

Reality has a tendency to bite back / strike back. Hard.

[TLS]
5,409 posts
22,192 battles
1 hour ago, S0und_Theif said:

Why do I feel that WG is trying to beat EA / Origin to be the number 1 most hated game company. Cuz frankly, they are on the right path.

EA won a lot of brownie points from me last month. Because they released the best thing since Command and Conquer 25 years ago... Command and Conquer: Remastered and they fking actually listened to the community. SO, for me EA is no longer on #1 spot. WG has taken that.

Ah... the sounds of burning infantry. :3 foosh-foosh! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (watches them flay like a candle flame)

Edited by dejiko_nyo
  • Funny 1

[TLS]
5,409 posts
22,192 battles
5 hours ago, humusz said:

Just use steam launcher, make all your game in 1 library 😎

This is a good 25 minute suggestion. Let me try.

[-CAT-]
4,303 posts
15,733 battles
22 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

This is a good 25 minute suggestion. Let me try.

I'm also starting to see @humusz suggestion more juicy day by day.

And if WoWs suddenly pulls out of Steam, I won't care.
Steam has 20,580+ games compared to WGC's 4.
And look at those prices. They are reasonably priced. Most don't even hurt your wallet.

And lastly, most steam games works on Linux.
Or they can be made to work on Linux.

@dejiko_nyo

Is it alright to ask for help / advice if you switched launcher? :Smile_hiding:
I would like to jump ship with you guys / gals.

Edited by S0und_Theif

[TLS]
5,409 posts
22,192 battles
4 minutes ago, S0und_Theif said:

I'm also starting to see @humusz suggestion more juicy day by day.

And if WoWs suddenly pulls out of Steam, I won't care.
Steam has 20,580+ games compared to WGC's 4.
And look at those prices. They are reasonably priced. Most don't even hurt your wallet.

And lastly, most steam games works on Linux.
Or they can be made to work on Linux.

@dejiko_nyo

Is it alright to ask for help / advice if you switched launcher? :Smile_hiding:
I would like to jump ship with you guys / gals.

I am in the process of downloading the steam version. 

And yes, steam is good. I bought XCOM War of the Chosen, RA3+Uprising 48 hours ago. Little Witch Nobeta (aka loli dark souls) last week.

• Cool 1

[-CAT-]
4,303 posts
15,733 battles
6 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

I am in the process of downloading the steam version.

So its not possible to do copy pasta method. :fish_book:

That may take 8 - 10 hours from my end.

6 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

And yes, steam is good. I bought XCOM War of the Chosen, RA3+Uprising 48 hours ago. Little Witch Nobeta (aka loli dark souls) last week.

:Smile_medal:

Not to mention (while I was browsing) some games are discounted up to 90% off. WOW! :Smile_ohmy:

P.S. I ran out of likes for today. I will owe you guys for now.
And also thanks.

Edited by S0und_Theif

[SALT]
2,202 posts
10,571 battles

FYI The ez Patch notes that allow you to use WG account on steam is not updated yet.

You need to replace files manualy

WG forcing WGC, broke the EZ 1 click Mods. so current workaround for Steam launcher is that

• Cool 1

[-CAT-]
4,303 posts
15,733 battles
18 minutes ago, humusz said:

FYI The ez Patch notes that allow you to use WG account on steam is not updated yet.

You need to replace files manualy

WG forcing WGC, broke the EZ 1 click Mods. so current workaround for Steam launcher is that

:Smile_great:

Awesome. GJ. Great find.

Someone should tell that one person who is going to DL WGC that he is going to DL a parasite into his machine.

WG made so much issue about their WGC, that it now broke their launcher with Steam.
No wonder Asia server population is not very high today.

WG seems to do not understand that Steam has 20,580+ games compared to WGC's 4.
Players could just switch games rather than switch launchers. :Smile-_tongue: Common sense.

And, call me a conspiracist,  but I feel that with the recent CC resignations, I feel that the CC, WG, Lesta drama seems to go deeper and more sinister than what we see on the internet.
And we, the playerbase / community, is being dragged into WG / Lesta problems.
But that's just me. Call it a hunch.

Edited by S0und_Theif

[TLS]
5,409 posts
22,192 battles

yes, I just saw that reddit link.

That patch doesn't work. It just launches the adcentre.

[-CAT-]
4,303 posts
15,733 battles

lol

The irony here is Kaspersky, a Russian AV / IS program, does not trust WG, a Belarussian game publisher, and Lesta, a Russian game studio. :Smile_trollface:

Kaspersky is treating WGC as a possible threat.:Smile_trollface:

Bitdefender also says the same thing.

Edited by S0und_Theif
  • Funny 1

[151ST]
4,028 posts
13,312 battles

I dislike having 101 game application launchers but WGC is one of the least evil of the lot.

It used to be buggy as hell (to the point where I regretted changing over for about 6 months). For the last 2-odd years it has been stable and reliable.

You can still install mods and all that (I use aslains mod pack) but the WGC makes it actually surprisingly easy to boot different client versions if you have PTS/Etc.

It's annoying but no where near as bad as:

- Origin

- Uplay

- Epic

Out of all the WG changes, this one I can live with.

[KAMI]
564 posts
6,535 battles

A completely pointless change atm, I had to login on both the WGC and then do it again in-game. I was able to close the WGC after I've logged in.

But they might integrate it further with their games at a later point, which I'd rather not happen.

Edited by Verytis

[-CAT-]
4,303 posts
15,733 battles

I think WG has "probably" installed something within the game. This is why we are forced sign in with WGC.

WGC.thumb.png.a61d22630d62e93ca4343640f4798cd2.png

That's why I noticed that the game is sending 8kbps of bandwidth constantly. (Note the constant [send] bandwith on the left, right after I quit playing.)

And gets this error when I quit the game.

Me thinks WG is doing something to fix the game, but it is doing more harm than good.
Not to mention we can still remember how broken this program was back in 2018, and broke some PCs along the process.

And me thinks WG is possibly outsourced their programmers rather than hire in-house programmers. Why almost every patches they release have bugs.

That launcher is evil I tell ya. Evil.

Edited by S0und_Theif

[-CAT-]
4,303 posts
15,733 battles
13 minutes ago, Verytis said:

A completely pointless change atm, I had to login on both the WGC and then do it again in-game. I was able to close the WGC after I've logged in.

But they might integrate it further with their games at a later point, which I'd rather not happen.

They will eventually force that unto us. :Smile_sad:

WG is known for their heavy handed, forced unto us, in your face tactics.

WG has never been nice to their players. New or old.

Sign in to follow this