Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Neufert1

Asashio's maingun need to BUFF for close combat

12 comments in this topic

[TR_MU]
325 posts
7,061 battles

I'd like to play with asashio, she's a legend for me but main gun is really too weak (close combat) . VII or VIII tier ships can destroy inside of 3-4 second with maingun. Asashio maingun can take only 200-300 damage against to enemies but enemies give 3-4 K damage with each shell and with 2-3 salvo, asashio was destroyed. 

I can hear " asashio torpedos too strong" , yes but only you can destroy BB and CV. that's all. 

Due to this reason, ship don't suitable  for capture and close combat .

Edited by Neufert1

[MRI]
3,786 posts
16,841 battles

Asashio is not meant to win a gunfight with other ships, but it is more than enough to deter other DDs if you use them right. My Asashio captain actually has EM and BFT and she does alright against other DDs with her guns in a 1v1 scenario.

When playing an Asashio, you use your superior concealment to pick and choose which battles you want to fight and avoid battles that you cannot win. Ensure that your turrets are pre-aimed towards the likely direction of the enemy. Since you will be detecting most enemy DDs before you yourself are detected, you can use that time to make final adjustments to your aim. The trick is to bait enemy DDs into chasing you while you shoot them with your 4 rear barrels. Doing this you can actually do good damage against enemy DDs, because a lot of DDs at that tier don't actually have good forward firepower.

Japanese DD 127mm guns have great HE damage but poor reload, so make sure your shots count. The guns are best used in ambushing low health DDs from a superior position while you kite away. Though if you are only doing 200-300 damage per gun salvo you are clearly not aiming correctly.

Of course you are rather impotent against cruisers but that is the downside of Asashio.

• Cool 2

[TR_MU]
325 posts
7,061 battles
40 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

Asashio is not meant to win a gunfight with other ships, but it is more than enough to deter other DDs if you use them right. My Asashio captain actually has EM and BFT and she does alright against other DDs with her guns in a 1v1 scenario.

When playing an Asashio, you use your superior concealment to pick and choose which battles you want to fight and avoid battles that you cannot win. Ensure that your turrets are pre-aimed towards the likely direction of the enemy. Since you will be detecting most enemy DDs before you yourself are detected, you can use that time to make final adjustments to your aim. The trick is to bait enemy DDs into chasing you while you shoot them with your 4 rear barrels. Doing this you can actually do good damage against enemy DDs, because a lot of DDs at that tier don't actually have good forward firepower.

Japanese DD 127mm guns have great HE damage but poor reload, so make sure your shots count. The guns are best used in ambushing low health DDs from a superior position while you kite away. Though if you are only doing 200-300 damage per gun salvo you are clearly not aiming correctly.

Of course you are rather impotent against cruisers but that is the downside of Asashio.

Thanks for the information and hints. All of them good for me 🙂

• Cool 3

[151ST]
3,538 posts
11,931 battles

IJN torpedo boats only have good alpha strike (burst damage) on their guns, their DPM (damage per minute) is pretty poor.

As mentioned above, concealment is your biggest advantage, so your Asashio captain should have Concealment Expert at 10 points. You should also be running the concealment module.

The plus side is that sticking with those two options is best practice (the best way to do something) for just about every ship in the game, so are always a good starting point.

(Although most BBs you'd want fire prevention for 10 points and CE for 14).

IJN Torp boat captains often forget to use their guns, so don't be afraid to use them when able (from smoke, or behind islands, etc) every big of damage counts.

We lost a game this morning because a DD wouldn't shoot a 600HP JB, he healed up to 14k and helped turn the game...

• Cool 1

[LU-NA]
98 posts
4,038 battles

Well, if you want to win in a gun fight against other DD or other ships in general, play dedicated gunboats DD like French DD for example. 

Look at how WG slaughter Kleber. Other DD can detect it from miles away but it has the best speed. 

That's tradeoff. 

Looks at ships who have little tradeoffs 

Tsk. Damn OP ships. 

Edited by Arzach

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
1,682 posts
5,758 battles

Asashio is a great DD as it is now.

If you are moving in to spot other DDs for team, hopefully said team has your back, and will attack enemy when they appear.

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,149 posts
23,877 battles

My Colorado's torpedos take too long to load. 

Colorado torpedoes need to BUFF for close combat.

All the time I see Gneisenau and Scharnhorst using their torpedoes.

But not once have my Colorado torpedoes ever loaded in time to hit anything.

Any VII or VIII BB can kill me with torpedoes in 3-4 seconds so Colorado torpedoes needs to BUFF.

• Funny 2

Alpha Tester
88 posts
7,981 battles

Asashio's guns actually do good damage. It's just that you only use it to defend yourself, not to pick fights or go in for knife fights.

And if you do want to fight, as someone has mentioned make sure you have backup or make sure the enemy is low on health.

[MALD]
[MALD]
711 posts
3,929 battles

Japanese destroyers guns (save for Akizuki and up) have one of the highest alpha for their size and caliber at the cost of reload. It's a matter of trade-off, and said guns is still good for gunboating, but for god's sake, use it only for personal defence or if you don't have any other choice, as it nearly suicidal if you open up with the low RoF.

Their main weapon is the torpedoes. And Asashio have the niche deepwater. So yeah, you got to use your gun more often, but don't use them as your primary damage dealer, instead seek for target choice, or spot.

[NZAUS]
Beta Tester
370 posts
8,571 battles
On 7/8/2020 at 12:52 PM, Max_Battle said:

My Colorado's torpedos take too long to load. 

Colorado torpedoes need to BUFF for close combat.

All the time I see Gneisenau and Scharnhorst using their torpedoes.

But not once have my Colorado torpedoes ever loaded in time to hit anything.

Any VII or VIII BB can kill me with torpedoes in 3-4 seconds so Colorado torpedoes needs to BUFF.

I bet you forgot to train torp reload, a noobie mistake in the Colorado.  

Duh.png

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,149 posts
23,877 battles
8 minutes ago, Tagnbag said:

I bet you forgot to train torp reload, a noobie mistake in the Colorado.  

Duh.png

I took SE instead.

[HKACC]
392 posts
4,597 battles

Best concealment in the game, dangerous deep & long torps ... still want better cannon. So you want the ultimate DD, ain't ya ?

Sign in to follow this