Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TheURLguy

Update 0.9.6: German Carriers

6 comments in this topic

8 posts
2,434 battles

I found that the mod file is not set up for update 0.9.6. I stupidly tried to create a mod file for the update and it didnt work. How to fix the issue?

[ATLAS]
11 posts
9,369 battles

the 'res_mods' folder moves to 'World of Warships\bin\2666186'
and files from 'res' folder in the main directory are empty, they also move to 'World of Warships\bin\2666186'

image.png.82e4e06ee365b105736fb2051dfaf326.png

• Cool 3

[TWR]
1,325 posts
5,164 battles

The game can now be launched only with the Wargaming.net Game Center running.

Really?

WG is that focused on making people run WGC that they won't let us just run the game execute anymore?

Please give us a DETAILED reason why we NEED to have it running?

1 post
2,417 battles

So I was one of the very lucky ones to get a carrier in the first 5 boxes of which I got the T6 Weser where I ground out the 12k exp and am now using it. I'll review them as they are now and give my opinions on them at their current state. The fragility of the aircraft is a demerit in the face of higher cruising speed and potentially huge damage if RNGeus is kind to you. I think my biggest problem with these new carriers is how fragile they are. You have decent sized squadrons but you will often only get a single attack run on any one target. At t6 you will often get two attack runs before lose your entire squadron and when your upteired to t8 you lose everything very often before you make to your target of choice. Expect to be fielding half squadrons half way through the battle. 

AP fighters - Very interesting concept that I enjoy about the new german CV's is the potential to get citadel hits with your rockets. Its very nice but often times you will get just penetrations since you need those flat angles to pen the belt armour of cruisers and  there are very few cruiser captains that wont maneuver or dodge in some way to make that as hard as possible on you. Damage is limited even with citadel's due to some cruisers being capped at how much damage you can do per attack run. These are largely useless against battleships, the thick belt armour means only hits to the bow or stern will penetrate giving you mediocre damage. Not useless but not as worth it in terms of risk/reward.

Torpedo bombers - Your anti destroyer choice, this through me when I first used them. Fast, low damage torps are excellent when they hit having higher damage then average per attack run causing upwards of 3k damage. These are relatively useless on battleships, whilst they can still cause flooding and be a nuisance they're only really effective against destroyers and limited effectiveness against cruisers. I think they're currently okayish as they are. 

AP bombers - Unique for sure but as your major damage against battleships they're lacking. Dive bombers that fly at very high altitudes that dive right on top of their target as opposed to japan who leads a little before they start their dive run. The merits for the germans is that they have good chances to pen the deck armour and get a citadel since they don't level out as quickly like the japanese planes do meaning if they hit the often damage which is nice. However this means user error his much larger and since they drop their payload at higher altitudes the chance for a miss is higher. The Japanese have an easier time adjusting for any defensive maneuver the target takes whilst the germans have to predict where the target is likely to go or else miss as a result. Because of the low HP at t6 these bombers will often only get a single go at a battleship before being lost for chance at most 14k damage isn't worth it, they really, really need higher HP. 

Overall - The carrier is fun but lacking. Its fun having very good secondaries to fend off destroyers but that's only if the game goes very poorly for my team or I put myself in a bad position. Either case it leaves me very dead in the near future. HP pools are too low to really fight uptiered as you just get obliterated during an attack run. Higher cruising speed is awesome but that just means I get to my target quicker only to die even quicker so I spend most of my time flying as once I get to the target I often only get one chance to attack. You basically have a squadron for every ship type: Torps>Destroyers : AP fighters>Cruisers : AP bombers>Battleships The CV's line seems lower damage then usual, chances for ricochets and not penetrations are higher due to AP interacting with armour so things like fires which are a great addition of chip damage doesn't exist. My recommendation is to decrease the aircraft restoration time for german carriers so your not fielding half squadrons more often then not. I realise they already have lower restoration times then average but given how the CV rework is, having fragile planes means you lose your squadron every time. 

In the mean time I'll continue testing. Cheers.

Sign in to follow this