Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
sfcgx3

Torp damage bug? can someone please explain this to me

6 comments in this topic

[AN-DO]
368 posts
7,794 battles

I was in Z-23, using stock torp, and hit a low-hp Asashio (with <3k hp), but failed to kill him. My torp did 2,769 damage according to the post-battle repot.

How is this possible???

970937299_Torpbug.thumb.jpg.70067e0e4286e3b48e1372720f885e9f.jpg

[SMOKE]
2,504 posts
18,035 battles

Well depends -it all come down to where you hit it ; especially after the fact its already low on hp it might already had saturation on some parts of the ship or very close to it and if you happen to hit just the right spot your torp can damage and take out all the hp of said portion but yet its damage area is just off the part that still had that tiny bit of hp

So what happen likely is that that little bit of hp just keep it alive - do know torp is like HE it calculate damage only on affected area / volume of the ship if the ship had hp on the non receiving part those hp remains

[SEARN]
1,077 posts
17,509 battles
On 7/5/2020 at 7:22 PM, sfcgx3 said:

I was in Z-23, using stock torp, and hit a low-hp Asashio (with <3k hp), but failed to kill him. My torp did 2,769 damage according to the post-battle repot.

How is this possible???

970937299_Torpbug.thumb.jpg.70067e0e4286e3b48e1372720f885e9f.jpg

Damage saturation.  https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Damage_Saturation

When shooting a BB with HE have you noticed the part that is getting hit a lot will after a while become black? This area will take reduced damage from then on when it is hit.

Torpedoes will encounter this same damage saturation mechanic when hitting a target if the hull has been already damaged saturated.

I had a crazy game years ago where I hit another DD in my Kamikaze with 4 torps that hit all along the hull, and to my amazement 1 torp did like 1k damage and the other 3 did zero damage. I survived only due to a team mate in a cruiser being nearly and managing to find a way to kill this DD that had no right in being alive. 

I don't agree 100% with that way it works in practice but it is what we have. Seems to me in my experience with torpedoes, that it never ever works to save me but will always pop up and save a player who did something silly and should be punished so they learn to not do it again. Yet they will be rewarded by surviving. :Smile_facepalm:

I know for 100% sure that I have NEVER been hit with a torp for zero damage. :Smile_sceptic:

[KAMI]
530 posts
6,381 battles

That DD had a saturated bow or stern which took the torpedo. German torps don't have very high damage either.

7 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

I know for 100% sure that I have NEVER been hit with a torp for zero damage. 

Even fully saturated parts will always take some damage now. I recall there was a time when that wasn't the case? (from other people, never been there myself)

If you have something like RN DD single launching all its torps into the bow of a BB, most BBs would get devstriked.

[SALT]
2,123 posts
10,571 battles

The torpedo most likely hit Stern or Bow section, and it got saturated so it dont deal full damage.

Torp that hit midsection even if saturated will Kill him

Edited by humusz

[MRI]
3,791 posts
16,857 battles
3 hours ago, Verytis said:

Even fully saturated parts will always take some damage now. I recall there was a time when that wasn't the case? (from other people, never been there myself)

It used to be the case until only a couple of months ago, but yes there was a time when fully saturated parts take no damage (hence that clip of a ship taking nearly a dozen torps to the bow and not sinking). 

Now hitting fully saturated parts does a minimum of 10% of your damage I believe.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this