Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Drakon233

Drakon's CV guide for intermediates (and AMA too i guess?)

41 comments in this topic

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,566 battles

CVs at top tier shitting on everything and winning through dealing damage and map control

https://replayswows.com/replay/98085

just farm damage lol, not as if their AA is going to shoot down anything

farmed their BBs, whacked a DD, spotted a few guys and made sure we got the caps

CVs at bottom tier spotting, cap control and taking potshots for ensuring victory

https://replayswows.com/replay/98084#stats

checked one flank, AA presence too heavy, swapped to mid/other flank

assisted in the pushback of the enemy push, provided spotting and coordination for teammates to focus fire

won through points 

i made a comprehensive CV guide in Chinese a while ago, maybe i;ll move it here and TL when i have the time

ya'all know who this is for

Edited by CV_NMSL
  • Cool 3

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,566 battles

https://ngabbs.com/read.php?tid=21580768welp, here's the original post in Chinese, I'll google TL it and fix the English later, the grammar is fked because i wrote it in rather casual Chinese and used a lot of slang but eh, you'll get the gist

I FIXED THE GRAMMER! (for some parts )

it should  be a much easier read now :Smile_popcorn:

[WoWS tutorial] Advanced Aircraft Carrier map control, Target Selection & damage output MACROing

by: me 

Intro

The oldies here should have known me by now, that guy who trolls and shitalks everyone, formerly going by the name of drakon233 and now by the IGN of CV_NMSL,

you all probably know why im making this guide so I'll skip right to what this guide will be on

This is not a beginner's tutorial.  to the most out of this guide, you have to at least have a certain amount of foundation in aircraft carriers to build on. Those 40% WR tomato scrambled eggs PR players would be much better off watching videos on how to drop torps and DBs properly or learning how to dodge flak. This is not a basic skill tutorial. There are a lot of these technical tutorials for CVs out there, you wanna learn that? go find them yourself, I won’t waste my time teaching it when other people have done a much better job at it than i ever could. The meaning of this post is mainly to provide some insights for the aircraft carrier players who want to progress past being "just average" but cannot find the direction on where to improve.

The main content of this post will be a guide for INTERMEDIATE  PLAYERS on how to get to purple through advanced plane application, situational awareness/map control, and target selection.  these are what separates a good CV player who knows what he's going and knows what he'll do when he gets there,  from someone who only knows how to spam planes at something random till it dies since all of these are pretty conceptual/theoretical stuff i doubt that there have been any good guides on it, so I'll lend whatever meager help i can to help ya'all improve

Situational awareness/Map control, and target selection

I'll tell you upright that the strongest aspect of an aircraft carrier is the ability to obtain information and map control,  But how should we get to a state of mind where you can rationally streamline and apply your situational awareness as map control through target selection?

First of all, it is necessary to clearly recognize as a class what are Aircraft carrier's strengths and weaknesses

CVs are strong in providing steady intel to teammates whilst maintaining good damage output. This greatly oppresses the abilities of enemy ships that rely on stealth to sustain itself, at the same time you're doing your damage you are also improving the damage output of your entire team and itself. This powerful ability is further compounded by the fact that because of the nature CV gameplay, your actual ship is at extremely low risk when performing any actions and you can bring that influence to bear anywhere on the map very quickly, making CVs the most deliberate class of ships to play in terms of map presence.CVs differ from surface ships greatly when it comes to damage output too. If you are playing CVs you aren't gonna burst 100k damage through citadels or having some dumbo walking into your full torp spread (old hak 25500 APDBs and detonations notwithstanding) , and you certainly aren't gone blast someone out of concealment sneaky breeky like an Alaska and slinks away unscathed. Every strike you make with a CV will cost you resources (time, planes, consumables) and you'll have to decide very deliberately how you want to apply it(unlike BBs or CAs who can spam shells the entire game). 

Before committing to a strike must take into account what impact you can make for the battle through the actions you might take., What are the possible losses you might sustain to yourself and the team when executing?  and also keep in mind that all these actions must be deliberated based on the premise that you have enough intelligence data to analyze the situation accurately.

TLDR: gathering and analyzing data is how you gain situational awareness and executing attacks based off of that situational awareness will help you apply your resources to the max efficiency 

The first step to improve said situational awareness is:

to pay attention to the minimap, pay attention to the minimap, pay attention to the minimap

Because it is that important, I'll say it three times. The information provided by the minimap is either given for free, or it is provided to you by the teammates fighting with tooth and nails with the enemy team, to not use it is an absolute waste. always remember to turn on the minimap's option to show the enemy’s last known location and name for even more free intel.

since now you don't have to worry about the minimap blocking incoming shells to make you eat a cit, turn the minimap on as big as you can/need so you can more accurately read the information provided. The method of using the minimap is very simple, you just look at it and determine what actions the enemy team are/might be taking. for example, you should pay close attention to the direction that enemy ships are going in, the last position of the high AA ships, whether there is someone trying to sneak a cap, is there anyone islandhumping and blocking the rest of your team from pushing, and if there are low HP enemies who are trying to escape and heal back up ect.  and make What you think is the most appropriate response to what you see(rocket interrupting the site, yeeting the islandhumper with justice raining from above, killstealsecuring, etc.).

In addition, you should use free time to analyze the battle situation with the minimap. The most time spent by an aircraft carrier in a battle is always the time it takes to take off and fly to a target, and this is not the short time of operating the plane. Before entering the bombing position, you should always consider that the fleet you are controlling will be used most efficiently. I know that many aircraft carrier players have the mentality of "be sure to blow up a ship when the plane has reached this side," but this is not the case. As long as you haven't dropped a bomb or torpedo, you basically still have time to go. Choose the best target, and this is the time to test your analysis of the situation. Ask yourself-is it worth it to blow this wave? Are there better targets nearby? After a round of bombing, can I chain the next person/turn back to the second wave? Will my bomb drop give the team the greatest advantage? Of course, it is not to say that it is not worthwhile to think about it a few minutes before an attack. After all, the output efficiency of the aircraft carrier is proportional to the number of attacks made at the same time. Taking your brain to shame is ojbk.

Finally, it is also the most important point for the game. You have to look at the health, position and situation of your teammates. This is first of all for my own sake, the teammates jump too fast, the output is definitely gone, and the body can be riding the face, so it is important to say that proper support is important for the win rate and the uniformity. Conversely, the teammates are too fierce. Appropriately sell a few for the output time, cry and laugh. Don’t think that the tumor output will definitely go up when the tumor is swept. The anti-aircraft lineup will be defeated on the opposite side. It’s not impossible for you to eat an X battle line and brush 10w for 4 minutes. At least keep a point map or F to establish this minimum degree of communication relationship. I believe that many aircraft carriers have thought about or really scolded their teammates when no one (including myself) on these spotted ships (including myself) "stupid stuff, I'm bright XXX, why don't you hit it, blind?" In other words, at this time, you can reflect on whether you have not communicated well and your teammates can’t play. If not, insult away.

Edited by CV_NMSL
  • Cool 4

[MALD]
[MALD]
711 posts
3,945 battles

raises hand

But Mr. Drakon, when do i help my collapsing flank? Do i have to solely focus on our advancing flank, or balance between the two?

[BLESS]
1,461 posts
12,809 battles

" Don’t think that the tumor output will definitely go up when the tumor is swept. "

I should probably buy a Langley and give it a try. How bad can it be?

701 posts
2,930 battles

Thanks for the guide but I still have a bit of a problem. Are there any tips and tricks on how to complain incessantly on the forums? I’m having quite a hard time on writing this post on how underpowered carriers are and how OP AA is.

• Funny 1

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,014 posts
13,717 battles

And yet there are people who say CV requires no skill to perform....

Good writing. This is probably the most well-written guide in the forum.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,566 battles
1 hour ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

raises hand

But Mr. Drakon, when do i help my collapsing flank? Do i have to solely focus on our advancing flank, or balance between the two?

short answer? you need to balance

long answer tho, it depends on the situation, CVs are some of the most flexible ships in the game and it's really up to the situation as to where you want to exert your presence and most players have no idea how to tell where they should go and just tunnel vision on one ship, but for a general rule of thumb for PTFOing in CVs... 

wall of text alert 

Spoiler

1. always prioritize reinforce the superior flank,  it doesn't matter if they are rushing down mid in 2 brothers, kiting against only a few ships or are doing a good impression of feeding.

-If you go help the flank that's weaker then yes maybe you'll help them overcome whatever they are facing, but you can bet your ass that the enemy CV is doing either the same to your superior flank or counting whatever you do on the weaker flank blow by blow. if the superior flank is pushing, then screen DDs, clear out island camper and drop FTs to spot while moving behind them at a safe distance to minimize plane travel time, if the superior flank is kitein then you spot whatever they are kiteing against, help kill it, and make them push back.

-exceptions should be made for finishing off weakened ships and Decapping, and good players can balance both flanks, but before you can tell which flank you should support at a glance based on ship type, spawn and positioning the above guide should serve you well

2. if one flank has so much AA that you'll definitely def do jack shit if you go there then you don't touch it,  no matter much much your teammates ask for it

-team collapsing? begging for help? F4 spam? ignore them all if you KNOW that there are hallands/minos whatever entrenched between you and your goal. it sucks to be them, but you are neither omnipotent or enough of a buddha to give up your damage and XP for theirs, especially when you should also prioritize dealing damage to match the enemy CV's. like i said in the OP(or is it 2nd post) analyze the situation of not just the enemy but also your teammates to decide who is and isn't saving at the moment

3. play to your CV/plane type's strengths, when in Rome...

-for USN you're can do basically everything well, torps bombs and rockets all do significant damage so anything goes, you can use them defensively like quickly rotating your rocket/DB squads with your CV being closer than comfortable to slow down advancing BBs through the fear of constant DOT (it's how i got a solo warrior against a charging HIV in a midway)

or you can go DD screening/DOT supporting/forcing people to turn with your tops, flexible class, flexible nation

-for IJN CVs the APDB is exceptionally good at killing island campers, the rocket are only really good against DDs or lightly armored CAs and the torps hit hard and fast, which makes whatever you're dropping turn to dodge but showing his broadside to your team much more often than you'd imagine. this usually means that you're great for clearing out obstacles like bowtanking BBs or island hugging CAs so use them more offensively and, if the enemy ships are maneuvering it's significantly harder to hit your DBs than USN ships

fuck RN ship, they don't get a mention

-KMCVs aren't out yet

Edited by CV_NMSL

[TLS]
4,857 posts
21,287 battles

One question: how do you deal with the targeting sights especially with IJN considering you have to play supermario with flak.

And yes, fuck RN ship. they are only good for painting fires WHEN RNG DECIDES TO SET A FIRE.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,566 battles
10 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

One question: how do you deal with the targeting sights especially with IJN considering you have to play supermario with flak.

And yes, fuck RN ship. they are only good for painting fires WHEN RNG DECIDES TO SET A FIRE.

er, can you explain that qustion a but further? 

do you mean adjusting for reticle size increase when dodging or plain up unable to see past the flak

[TLS]
4,857 posts
21,287 battles
11 minutes ago, CV_NMSL said:

do you mean adjusting for reticle size increase when dodging

This.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,566 battles
Just now, dejiko_nyo said:

This.

you adjust the flight path before you commit, there are tricks that can help you avoid some of the nasty out there like spiral dropping with USN or the specifics of how some reticle closes relative to how far in you are into an attack, but most of the time it's just plain old prediction.

the best advice i can offer you is that if you are going to move the reticle, do it gently with you mouse, and for many planes the reticle closes much faster in the first few seconds, so it's better to get the circle smaller, then enlarge it slightly by moving rather than moving your reticle early and ending up with a massive circle the whole time through

does this answer your question?

[TLS]
4,857 posts
21,287 battles
36 minutes ago, CV_NMSL said:

does this answer your question?

Yes. It is like how the instructions to play are not properly included in the 1000 page manual. 

Edited by dejiko_nyo

[KAMI]
1,567 posts
13,108 battles

thanks for the useful guidelines

now i am more clear of what i had been doing wrong when i was trying carrier in random

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,566 battles
16 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Yes. It is like how the instructions to play are not properly included in the 1000 page manual. 

that's sadly unironically how WG expects players to learn

tsk. 

[MALD]
[MALD]
711 posts
3,945 battles

raises hand again

How to get good at kiting enemy ships while chased by aircraft?

How to avoid flak in a timely manner?

And is there any tips?

Edited by Earl_of_Arland

[151ST]
3,555 posts
11,945 battles

I need to come back later and read/look at this... 😕

• Cool 1

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,566 battles
12 minutes ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

raises hand again

How to get good at kiting enemy ships while chased by aircraft/

pray

angle your ship so the CV needs to spend a longer time to turn in your AA circle before dropping torps, if it's rockets or DBs the unironically prey that the CV has shit aim or shit RNG, since most of the strikeable kiting ships don't have enough solo AA to stop a CV and you know kiters like to find their own little angle to spam from, so no AA overlap 

and make extra sure that if you turn to dodge them torps that you ain't showing your fat old belly to the ships you are knitting, that's a pretty surefire way of going back to port with nothing but a repair bill

Edited by CV_NMSL

[MALD]
[MALD]
711 posts
3,945 battles
13 minutes ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

How to avoid flak in a timely manner?

And is there any tips?

i try to wiggle around, but seems to caught flak.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,566 battles
2 minutes ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

i try to wiggle around, but seems to caught flak.

depends on the plane type and nation

IJN and USN rockets can power their way through flack if you time the distance and boost while the flak is reloading

IJN TBs can get their conceal to 6.1km so you can stealth strike and be below flak before they start firing, USN and RN TBs just dive and use your heal as an immunity timer to get your strikes off

DBs... flak spawns directly in front of you plane based on your past speed and heading, so playing with W and S works, try to fly in small zigzags if you run into heavy flak, if the enemy ship doesn't have AA that's that great then it's better to just power through with DBs, saves time and effort compared to taking the cautious approach 

[O7]
185 posts
18,594 battles

I have 4 aircraft carriers in port that have never seen any action, even a co-op battle. I may have to study this and take one out.

[TLS]
4,857 posts
21,287 battles
1 minute ago, Jayde2405 said:

I have 4 aircraft carriers in port that have never seen any action, even a co-op battle. I may have to study this and take one out.

Coop is like terrible for CV because most of the targets are heading towards you and it's much difficult to come in the right position to strike. Ironically, it is because people being potatoes in random makes CV much more effective. 

RTS CV in coop otoh were viable because you could concentrate your firepower on tearing ships apart one by one where as now.... you have 6 million things to worry about before you can even perform the first strike, much less successive strikes.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,566 battles
6 minutes ago, Jayde2405 said:

the longest guide not for beginners, this is the stuff you study after you get the basics of positioning, dropping, flak dodging etc down to a T

if you want to start CVs then i suggest you watch youtube to learn how to drop first and play a few games with hosho before jumping into anything else

[TLS]
4,857 posts
21,287 battles

The better players among us here have aways advocated playing all the classes whether you like it or not as it improves your both your attack and defence strategies. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this