Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Teatime_1

Goliath??

9 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Beta Tester
20 posts
1,614 battles

Doesn't seem to fit in any particular niche.

--Handles like a whale with only 1 fin

--Rate of fire is on par with some BBs

--Damage is lack lustre and reload time makes it even more boring

--Floaty slow shells make it hard to hit long range

--Base range is just stupidly low for a tier X

--Is a floating citadel

--Gimmicky heal does not out-weigh how weak this cruiser is

Needs better ROF, slight increase in range, and at least slightly better shell balistics. I don't care if it's maneuverability is rubbish if the guns were any good. R

This glorious ship is forced to island hug and hope for the best while setting the occasional fire and eating 20 citadels per salvo.

I suppose withe the BB-meta doesn't really matter....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,559
[REPOI]
[REPOI]
Member
6,779 posts
28,566 battles

yeah it sucks whaleballs, just dont play it, it doesn't have any redeeming features compared to the other HE spammers 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,406
[151ST]
Member
3,556 posts
11,949 battles

Sadly the line peaks at T9...

Goliath is just not a good ship on so many levels, giving up the generalist play style of the rest of the line.

Goliath actually has a worse armour/citadel setup than Drake...

My review from a while back...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
243
[TWR]
Alpha Tester
1,684 posts
5,767 battles

replace BB meta with sniper meta, and you're good to go.

now you can only play tier 10 ships with 19km minimum range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,406
[151ST]
Member
3,556 posts
11,949 battles

Yeah I don't like playing Goliath as a long range HE spammer, it's like trying to do it with DM or Worcester just Alpha over DPM...

Similar crappy shell ballistics, although @Dread_Pirate_BlackHeart has a point, it's a way to play her, it's still crud though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
831
[SMOKE]
Member
2,504 posts
18,035 battles

I stop at Surrey and had not any motivation to go any further , just keep it for Op , despite their glass cannon nature the old Royal Navy CL line definitely giving more joy to play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28
[LAL]
Member
84 posts
12,654 battles

goalith is the kind of NEW ships you play and get rolled over other ships and satify the latter

E.G: you start a match in the Goalith, and get spoted and one-shoted, and whose who shoot you get more credit and XP

so, it is a sparring ship, and so are all british CA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,593 posts
7,974 battles
50 minutes ago, sparkytroll said:

goalith is the kind of NEW ships you play and get rolled over other ships and satify the latter

E.G: you start a match in the Goalith, and get spoted and one-shoted, and whose who shoot you get more credit and XP

so, it is a sparring ship, and so are all british CA

 

23 hours ago, Mechfori said:

I stop at Surrey and had not any motivation to go any further , just keep it for Op , despite their glass cannon nature the old Royal Navy CL line definitely giving more joy to play

I remember all those colorful comments about British CAs when they are released till now.

"They are so underpowered that prove Japanese cruisers are still viable and relevant", "They are rare ships that are both unattractive in appearence and not fun to play while also being uncompetitive in terms of performance" and "Only masochists would like playing them to be beaten and mauled", for example.

Edited by Project45_Opytny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,406
[151ST]
Member
3,556 posts
11,949 battles
7 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

 

I remember all those colorful comments about British CAs when they are released till now.

"They are so underpowered that prove Japanese cruisers are still viable and relevant", "They are rare ships that are both unattractive in appearence and not fun to play while also being uncompetitive in terms of performance" and "Only masochists would like playing them to be beaten and mauled", for example.

Not really.

They're generalists, that's all.

Basically they can do some decent island firing, the spotter plane means they can situationally deal a bit of long range HE work, they have good concealment (gotta know how to use it in a CA though) andthey have a heal to forgive a couple of mistakes.

They don't feel special because everyone is too used to over-gimmicky lines.

I said it years ago, pushing gimmicks too far was going to bite WG in the rear-end, as is armour creep, gun calibre creep and HE spam creep.

Devonshire - average range but otherwise not bad.

Surrey - good all rounder but suffers T7 MM

Albemarle - good all rounder but don't get overmatched through bow/stern, you have a big citadel.

Drake - punchy, decent citadel scheme but a little on the sluggish side for handling. Still one of my fave T9s. She's easily better than Goliath being better in every regard except losing 1 turret, that you don't need anyways (to show that turret Goliath asks for chunks to be taken off).

Most of the RN CA line is about leveraging concealment and Spotter and melting the appropriate target.

Hawkins is garbage, Goliath is completely average thanks to 'balancing' 12 guns and Devonshire really wants a spotter plane but otherwise they're good generalists.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×