You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CaptainZade_

French Cruiser Line Questions

10 comments in this topic

50 posts
1,739 battles

So I've been spending my time grinding the French Cruiser line and so far, Emile Bertin, Algerie, Charles Martel, and Saint Louis are all great ships. But I have heard about the Henri IV being a bad ship now after the nerf and I wanted to know if it is still worth the grind or should I just grind another line?

[KAMI]
1,567 posts
13,108 battles

The gimmick of Henri IV have been greatly affected by the nerf, now is just a typical cruiser with slow acceleration capabilities,  becoming lesser annoying to enemy

Edited by Gummiheng

50 posts
1,739 battles
17 minutes ago, Gummiheng said:

The gimmick of Henri IV have been greatly affected by the nerf, now is just a typical cruiser with slow acceleration capabilities,  becoming lesser annoying to enemy

So I'm guessing that it's still worth the grind, right?

[KAMI]
1,567 posts
13,108 battles
6 minutes ago, CaptainZade_ said:

imho yes

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,777 posts
28,323 battles
22 minutes ago, CaptainZade_ said:

not really, henri sucks balls compared to everything that aren't the trash tier DDs and you can easily do better by grinding another line, but the french CA line is good p toll T8

so if you are only playing it as a training line then yeah it works 

[TLS]
4,828 posts
21,220 battles

The longer version of reasoning (since I now in a more comfortable position to thing).

HIV (AKA AIDS) excessively relies on gimmicks to make it work. 
1) Ridiculous speed boost
2) Extreme speed for a CA
3) Ridiculously big and long ranged guns

The typical play style is to kite at max range where things, eg, shells, cannot stand a chance to hit you given that 1) you travel so fast that the shooter has to compensate almost 1.5x more than usual and 2) all you need to do is wAsD to throw off the aim. IF I remember correctly, almost no other tech tree CA can touch you. BBs? AIDS outranges a GK IIRC. (correct me if I am wrong) and by the time your shells reach the spot, a good HIV player would not be there. 

One might argue that the excessive speed and long reach is to compensate for the flakey armour, which I find not to that flakely if properly bowed on. In fact, the best armour it has is not all the ridiculous xy mm of deck/belt/whatnot, it is the SPEED. Yes, speed armour. 

Frankly, as an owner of the ship, I play it almost never because it doesn't suit my playstyle. The way it is designed, it is meant to be long ranged fire support ship (as if we didn't have enough bbs) in a cruiser hull. It is an utter nuisance to play against unless your team has a HIV or something similar to counter it. Or that enemy HIV is incompetent. 

In short, before the nerf, it was a high reward, low risk ship. Now, since it is adequately balanced (or double nerfed, as the 2nd nerf was uncalled for). In short#2, wg doesn't know shit how to balance ships. They read too much off their spreadshits.

[LBAS]
2,054 posts
3,737 battles

Remember 240mm gun HE pen most 38mm BB armor. 

Its used to be the most powerfull Cruiser before Krongstat and Venezia arrive.

Venezia is going to be nerf hammered to balanced. So Henry4 is still remain relevant. 

If you look for powerfull Cruiser its Stalingrad.... 72K HP and Alaska, Large Cruiser with radar.....

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,002 posts
13,611 battles
14 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

One might argue that the excessive speed and long reach is to compensate for the flakey armour, which I find not to that flakely if properly bowed on. In fact, the best armour it has is not all the ridiculous xy mm of deck/belt/whatnot, it is the SPEED. Yes, speed armour. 

I almost got roasted to death by one of it today. It has some armor that made my FdG's AP bounce like 8/10. Heck even Venezia is easier to penetrate.

[MRI]
3,779 posts
16,714 battles

It is alright. I have been playing a few games here and there to complete Dockyard missions as well as to get its Unique Upgrade.

It is a long-range fire support that can be extrememly frustrating for the enemy to hit if it is played right.