Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Salem

38 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,134 posts
23,624 battles

I'm closing in on being able to afford another 200k + coal ship.

I am heavily invested in all US lines (except CV, but even then I still have Ranger, Lexington and Saipan - I just don't play them in PvP cuz I suck at CVs sir) and as such the only one that really interests me is Salem.

Do you have Salem?

Opinion?

(I'm not against the others if they are good, like, for some reason Marceau sounds fun? I just love my Yank and German botes).

• Cool 1

[MRI]
3,780 posts
16,727 battles

Do you have Des Moine? It is more or less the same ship.

Compared to DM, Salem has a shorter range Radar (8.5km) but an improved Repair Party. It also has slightly worse AA,  top speed and HP then DM but that's about it really.

• Cool 1

[LBAS]
Modder, Member
6,750 posts
43,343 battles

Salem, its TX Wichita

Its not special, an alternation

Just another Dead Meme

Edited by MatterCore
  • Cool 1

5,645 posts
9,415 battles

Salem is my first Coal ship and she's good, but only an alternate to Des Moist, not a superior version.

I haven't played her for a long while after I bought Alaska (to grind credit), but with 1 mil XP stored and 200+ Random battles when I stopped playing her.

The super heal makes her more survivable, which suits my preferred playstyle of open water kiting.

Fewer AA mounts but more powerful ones so getting AA knocked out is very concerning.

Rather agile ship, very jukable rudder.

Gosh I want to try some battles playing Salem AP only.

• Cool 1

[SMOKE]
2,467 posts
17,863 battles

I had Salem and I like it , the short range Radar is both a blessing and a curse, no you cannot really made much use of it in todays raged meta, when even 10KM can seems a bit too close but then if you take it as addition to your Hydro and do not try to play as a Radar Cruiser but a CRUISER then you will be happy to had it around and the Heal definitely help in that regard .. yes its just alternative Des Moines with minimal difference in all the performance area but its also one of the not off balance Premium and offer a true alternative play and play style to had.

Personally I am glad its got only 8.5KM Radar, now I am relived of the duty to island hug and Radar for the team , my Radar is just too short ranged to do the job and that free me for better tactical positioning

• Cool 1

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,778 posts
28,338 battles

1 hour ago, Max_Battle said:

I(I'm not against the others if they are good, like, for some reason Marceau sounds fun? I just love my Yank and German botes).

marceau is god tier fun, you take the steaming pile of shit that is Colbert, make it as fast as a kahba and just as hard to kill, 2*4 rest reloading guns 

there is NOTHING that can win against you in a DD brawl and if you can abuse islands for both ambushes against DDs as well as slinging shells you'll have a blast of a time

salem is just a worse DM, but marceau is a more fun and spammy kleber, and that's uniqe

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,134 posts
23,624 battles

Hmmm.

As usual, if you ask a sensible question you will find that the forum has many people with intelligent, considered advice that is wise to take on board.

Thanks all for input.

I have Des Moines already and if Salem isn't a different enough playstyle I may lean towards Marceau - probably still come down to a toss of the coin as I do really love my US lines and like to fill them out.

Although I am up to a stage in the European Campaign that needs T9+ DDs - and at this stage for me that's only Gearing, Fletcher and Benham. I know, I know, they will do the job (and I could get the tech tree European T9 now anyway) but I like having choice.

Thanks everyone for your insight.

• Cool 2

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,005 posts
13,619 battles

Unlike Des Moines, Salem does not have access to catapult fighter/spotter plane. Which means your defense against plane is limited to the DefAA, while your range upgrade option is limited to GFCS 2 only (you cannot imitate Yuro's How to Des Moines guide in which he can spam his guns up to +20 km away)..

The 8.5 km radar can only catch the worst kind of potato off guard. Take it as the botched super hydro instead.

Survivability-wise, the super heal makes her tanky against the usual HE-spammers And Salem is a standard cruiser, the fire duration lasts only 30 s by default. You can literally ignore 3 sets of fire, and heal it all back as if no one ever shoots you.

But if you already have Des Moines (and have gotten used with her), you might not enjoy Sakem as much as the former.

And lastly, Salem is the only ship that still remains in the Armory ever since her release date. All others like Musashi, Jean Bart, and Smolensk have been removed due to their popularity. And maybe.... just maybe. Georgia or Thunderer would be removed later for the same reason. You might want to prioritize your coal on them first.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
1,153 posts
7,963 battles

Love it, only play co-op these days.

The heal is great.

Radar isn't as good DM but like I said only play co-op so radar is not a big deal.

5,645 posts
9,415 battles
46 minutes ago, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

And lastly, Salem is the only ship that still remains in the Armory ever since her release date. All others like Musashi, Jean Bart, and Smolensk have been removed due to their popularity. And maybe.... just maybe. Georgia or Thunderer would be removed later for the same reason. You might want to prioritize your coal on them first.

Salem and Yoshino will never be removed because they are balanced too well (Salem is a bit underwhelming TBH). Salem is a decent alternatives to Des Moist and Yoshino actually has interesting gameplay and torpedo choices.
3x

Salem's Heal works for me and not against me because I'm a steel balled open water kiter and not some annoying island hugger. They say Yoshino 20 km torps are a meme but when there are only me and 1-2 other green ships in a flank they are a real threat. 

• Cool 1

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,005 posts
13,619 battles
17 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Salem and Yoshino will never be removed because they are balanced too well (Salem is a bit underwhelming TBH). Salem is a decent alternatives to Des Moist and Yoshino actually has interesting gameplay and torpedo choices.
3x

Salem's Heal works for me and not against me because I'm a steel balled open water kiter and not some annoying island hugger. They say Yoshino 20 km torps are a meme but when there are only me and 1-2 other green ships in a flank they are a real threat. 

I take Salem as the "poor bloke's Des Moines" because it is definitely cheaper to run Salem due to her status as a special ship, and due to the free Type 20 camo that comes in the same bundle (saving you from spending 5k doubloons for the Des Moines).

However I'd hold my breath on Yoshino. Sure she is not that popular today,. But once the majority can accept her drawbacks, she will gain enough popularity that leads to her removal from the Armory. I mean yes Yoshino is just Azuma with some torps; and both share the same drawbacks. But there are many players whom are unable to hoard their FXP enough to buy the current FXP ships (remember Smalland's issue?). And for these people, Yoshino is easier to obtain than Azuma.

I consider both Salem & Yoshino to be decent substitute for Des Moines & Zao. My grind on both lines stop at Pepsicola & Myoko.

5,645 posts
9,415 battles
Just now, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

saving you from spending 5k doubloons for the Des Moines).

But you can spend 10k Steel for Chrome camo. Steel is technically free, right? :Smile_trollface:

5 minutes ago, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

(remember Smalland's issue?)

I have seen one Hayate, yes, one, ever since her release.

Just now, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

But there are many players whom are unable to hoard their FXP enough to buy the current FXP ships (remember Smalland's issue?). And for these people, Yoshino is easier to obtain than Azuma.

I find it absolutely blasphemous for a Japanese cruiser to not have torps, therefore Azuma is a trash ship :Smile_glasses: 

1 minute ago, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

My grind on both lines stop at Pepsicola & Myoko.

Not even 155 Mogami? Can you even call yourself a weeb? :Smile_trollface: 

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,005 posts
13,619 battles
6 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Not even 155 Mogami? Can you even call yourself a weeb? :Smile_trollface: 

I have Musashi as my weeb pass:Smile_trollface:

And I still keep Kongo & Furrytaco for sealclubbing purposes

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,134 posts
23,624 battles
1 hour ago, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

I take Salem as the "poor bloke's Des Moines" because it is definitely cheaper to run Salem due to her status as a special ship, and due to the free Type 20 camo that comes in the same bundle (saving you from spending 5k doubloons for the Des Moines).

I took note of this.

[SMOKE]
2,467 posts
17,863 battles
3 hours ago, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

However I'd hold my breath on Yoshino. Sure she is not that popular today,. But once the majority can accept her drawbacks, she will gain enough popularity that leads to her removal from the Armory. I mean yes Yoshino is just Azuma with some torps; and both share the same drawbacks. But there are many players whom are unable to hoard their FXP enough to buy the current FXP ships (remember Smalland's issue?). And for these people, Yoshino is easier to obtain than Azuma.

I consider both Salem & Yoshino to be decent substitute for Des Moines & Zao. My grind on both lines stop at Pepsicola & Myoko.

Yoshino, and Azuma today are hated more by their teammate than their enemies and exactly the same reason as Zao but worse , a Cruiser that cannot CRUSIER most of the game and amplify that ranged and standing at the back play style which neither benefit the BB nor the light force up front ... in short as a Cruiser that should give the vanguard close support they struggle to do so and usually simply do not give the close support and fire cover they should be giving , their long range gunnery support to the BB is only cursory and Yoshino's 20KM torp launching from way back lane present just as bad a danger to teammate as they do to enemy ( actually more , cause by the time those torp reach the enemy they are so spread out they are far easier to dodge )

For that its why these 2 are really not popular , if you need a Super Cruiser to actually CRUISER, there are simply far better choice , and if you are looking to back lane fight, then a BB ( or at least Odin with her 380 ) simply had that better fire power projection

The Salem Economy advantage or rather Des Moines economy disadvantage is pretty much universal for all T10 tech tree ships and  really its just WG's conspiracy to get people to pay  ; I say deny them , especially now that most tech line high tier ships are so power crept by all the premium to the point that they are almost obsolete ; just get the coal ship , Salem, Georgia, Thunderer, and others ..

I had my IJN and USS CA branch pretty much stopped at T8 ( only bought the ship, not even start playing ) , I might end up kitting out Mogami for its 155 present an interesting options , still debating whether to take IFHE or not or just go DE

[SMOKE]
2,467 posts
17,863 battles
3 hours ago, Paladinum said:

I have seen one Hayate, yes, one, ever since her release.

well I must be out of luck or might be I am lucky .. I've seen both Hayate and Smalland multiple times , good ships but still not worth that 2M FXP .. they really screw the T10 FXP pricing ... even the 1M on Frisk is questionable , I had the 2M FXP needed sitting around but am not going to spend it like that .. the yardstick that must be measured against is the Alaska ,, is those DD 2 time more performing or that better than the Alaska , and is the Frisk even close to be a match ...

They want people to offload their FXP , jacking up the price is not the way to go, they should give people real choice with reasonable pricing. Alaska is popular for good reasons

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,134 posts
23,624 battles

Uhm wait a sec.

I just realised.

I don't have Kuznetetzetov.

I'm not that into Russian ships (I probably should be) but I have 10 premium or special Russian cruisers or battleships... and that's before I train him to a tech tree ship (Vladivostok probably as that's my highest tech tree Russian BB).

I have 158 ships total in port already, maybe I should make my existing ships better before buying more?

The extra life he gives is OP yes?

shot-20.06.28_10.52.15-0674.jpg

Edited by Max_Battle

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,778 posts
28,338 battles

33 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

The extra life he gives is OP yes?

very very OP, espeically if you are playing a stalin, moskva Russian BB or even a DD, it's almost a free get out of jail card

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,134 posts
23,624 battles
3 minutes ago, CV_NMSL said:

very very OP, espeically if you are playing a stalin, moskva Russian BB or even a DD, it's almost a free get out of jail card

Hmmm.

Well yeah couple more coal drops and I might get him then.

Be hard to give him skills universal to BBs and DDs though 😛

Meh, already got a few points on Russian Overchicken - he is my Russian DD captain.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,778 posts
28,338 battles
17 hours ago, Mechfori said:

The Salem Economy advantage or rather Des Moines economy disadvantage is pretty much universal for all T10 tech tree ships and  really its just WG's conspiracy to get people to pay  ; I say deny them , especially now that most tech line high tier ships are so power crept by all the premium to the point that they are almost obsolete ; just get the coal ship , Salem, Georgia, Thunderer, and others ..

what? no tech tree ships are most defiantly not powercreeped (with a few exceptions), a lot of them still have roles that only they can perform or have the "better" alternative locked behind a massive grind/skill wall (repu/bourg, yamato/shiki). and as for the economy, yes T10s have a stupid repair price, yes it was a WG scheme to make you buy prem/permacamo t play consistently at that tier, no it's not the same as before since they are moving away from credit grind being what makes people pay to resource/FXP grind to make people pay 

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,778 posts
28,338 battles
2 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

Hmmm.

Well yeah couple more coal drops and I might get him then.

Be hard to give him skills universal to BBs and DDs though 😛

Meh, already got a few points on Russian Overchicken - he is my Russian DD captain.

eh, you pick one to stick him on, TBH if you have overchicken on your DDs then you're better off with him on a BB/heavy Russian CA

(i still say marceau for fun factor tho, it's been a long time since I've played a ship this dummy fun)

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,134 posts
23,624 battles
4 minutes ago, CV_NMSL said:

eh, you pick one to stick him on, TBH if you have overchicken on your DDs then you're better off with him on a BB/heavy Russian CA

(i still say marceau for fun factor tho, it's been a long time since I've played a ship this dummy fun)

Hmmm.

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,134 posts
23,624 battles

The time of choosing draws near.

World of Warships Screenshot 2020.07.03 - 10.39.18.55.png

World of Warships Screenshot 2020.07.03 - 10.38.18.93.png

World of Warships Screenshot 2020.07.03 - 10.38.05.08.png

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,778 posts
28,338 battles

11 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

The time of choosing draws near.

show us your port first, then i can tell you if you need kuznetsov

IMHO it boils down to this,

salem is a overall decent ship but you wont find it too special if you already have DM, but you can farm PR with it so it's a definite plus

Kutz is strong in that it gives krem/stalin/whatever ship you put this on a massive boost to survivability, something they already excel at, making them borderline OP in certain situations, but they aren't applicable in CW and these ships still have significant drawbacks reaguarless and you can only boost one ship with Kutz steroids (2-3 if you also have krons or stalin)

marceau is the strongest dogfight ship in the game and outside of a harugumo nothing will beat you in a 1v1, the arcs are excellent for island camping after you got the caps/killed the BBs and you are S P E E D, you still suffer from planes despite the DFAA tho and you cant cit cruisers from 5-6km like kleber but god that thing is fun

Edited by CV_NMSL

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,134 posts
23,624 battles
8 minutes ago, CV_NMSL said:

show us your port first, then i can tell you if you need kuznetsov

Max_Vodka's Glorious Soviet Fleet.

My premiums.
170578115_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_07.03-11_11_31_82.thumb.png.fa395463053ffa96b42d773b53930e8d.png

My tech tree ships, the Special Commanders I already have and the ships they are currently trained too.
1846007217_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_07.03-11_10_46_25.thumb.png.d3f1ff6af0375436a2f4d6b456406ef1.png
663916100_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_07.03-11_10_53_38.thumb.png.fa8e754b853f4f7596ed8c87e548819a.png
188892617_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_07.03-11_11_00_55.thumb.png.d74a602f922681881bdd693fa7cb9201.png

Sign in to follow this