Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Ranked Sprint for the Lols

12 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
1,438 posts
12,693 battles

So here we are in T8 Ranked Sprint, small teams, everyone plays BBs, a CV in every match.

What is a DD main to do?

Glad you asked.

So first off, things are not as bad as the might seem at first. You know there will be a CV on your team, and one on the enemy team. You can plan ahead, and chose/outfit your ship accordingly.

Second, there are lots of BBs, and lots of aggressive BBs, since most people go with Mass or Derpitz or Vlad The Penetrator. This means two things: life is very unpleasant and/or short for RADAR CLs, so your main threat (except for Amalfi, more on that later) is kept largely suppressed. And second, it means a lot of tonnage pushing up to within torpedo reach.

Of course it means hydro, secondaries, and incoming torps. So getting close is bad. Getting spotted is bad.

There are plenty of DD options. Fantasque, Terrible, Benson, Kidd, Kagero, Akizuki, Asashio, Lightning, Cossack,  Orkan, Oland, Loyang, and some Russian models I can't quite remember the name of!

It's more interesting than last time, because there is no obvious best choice. Last time, concealment was king so Haida or Jervis ruled. Now with CVs, its more open. Do you prioritize AA or plan to stick close to friendly CL. Smoke or not? Trade concealment for gunpower? How important is countermeasures like hydro.

I've been playing Benson. I can't say it's especially effective, but it's not bad as a general purpose do-it-all. Akizuki seems to be a strong (and popular) choice. Loyang is a Benson with Hydro, which is clearly another strong option. Kidd, too, allows you to operate independently of your fleet since you have no fear of enemy CV.

I would say the meta favors good smoke and good AA. I was considering Cossack, but I suspect a good CV could shut you down. Oland and the french DDs have their place, but without smoke it's really risky, limiting your options.

Thoughts?

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,128 posts
23,576 battles

Nice thought provoking post.

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,002 posts
13,611 battles

I can confirm the radar cruisers are actually having a hard time thanks to the BB's popularity on this season.

Back to DDs, most of my wins so far are in Lightning. And apparently I have to play in a rather unorthodox way when I'm not the only DD in the team because thanks to the cruiser's problem above, there has to be someone or two to keep the enemy DDs in check. My Lightning has RPF which allows me to predict where the enemy DDs are going to, and combined with the 5,5 km surface concealment; my Lightning counters the enemy DDs nicely.

• Fighting Akizuki, Benson, Le Fantasque, Le Terrible, Oland? Tread carefully & use Lightning's superior concealment to permaspot them. Lightning can never outgun them, so I have to rely on a thing called teamwork.
  • Fighting against anything else? Lightning can outgun them!

And of course since I've got the first-hand experience on how CV works, I will do every single thing that I find to be annoying when I play CV. Granted, I got killed in half of those battles. But not before I manage to waste the enemy CV's time so much that could have allowed them to do anything else that could save the game.

And I'm not a DD main.

• Cool 1

[TLS]
4,828 posts
21,220 battles

Basically, it's another sum up of what we have been saying for months: DD players need to adapt. The dearth of DDs in ranked sprint is just due to unwarranted fear and inability to plan tactically.

Radar cruisers are optional because you have a CV working spotting. With so many bbs, being mobile and kiting is a much better tactic. What is the point of lighting up a dd when you or your team cannot react to terminate its existance?

[BLESS]
1,438 posts
12,693 battles
57 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Radar cruisers are optional because you have a CV working spotting. With so many bbs, being mobile and kiting is a much better tactic. What is the point of lighting up a dd when you or your team cannot react to terminate its existancef

Which reminds me I was going to comment about Amalfi. This is one of the most lethal ships this season, though 155 Mogami and Mainz are also good for much the same reasons: accurate, long range, high damage strikes. BBs can't hit DDs, CVs only so/so. The main threat to a DD's existence is the CV spot / Amalfi blap one-two punch.

[TLS]
4,828 posts
21,220 battles
17 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

Which reminds me I was going to comment about Amalfi. This is one of the most lethal ships this season, though 155 Mogami and Mainz are also good for much the same reasons: accurate, long range, high damage strikes. BBs can't hit DDs, CVs only so/so. The main threat to a DD's existence is the CV spot / Amalfi blap one-two punch.

Mogami and long range in the same sentence? Last I remembered the issues I had with IJN below T9 was their piddly range.

And Italian McMuffin. That thing can blap the dd but then it's lifespan will still be questionable with all the big guns finding it...

Edited by dejiko_nyo

[MALD]
[MALD]
711 posts
3,881 battles

And i sold my Bismarck... ffs

How feasible are long-range harasser like Hipper? I want to use her for ranked, but i don't know if she would be good.

[BLESS]
1,438 posts
12,693 battles
1 hour ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

How feasible are long-range harasser like Hipper

Not bad I think. It's tanky enough against T8 BBs, and has enough range to stay safe.

[TF44]
528 posts
22,298 battles

Only CV can carry since your teammate CV generally has artery blockage at medulla oblongata to spot/priorotization.

Everything else gets rocketed/citadelled/he spammed to death from long range focus fire.

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
1,673 posts
5,737 battles

I wonder how british tier 8 premium cv that doesn't have torps will be when the cv AP nerfs kick in?...

[SMOKE]
2,467 posts
17,849 battles

Well of course it is possible to made something workable out of the said game in a DD but the question is - why bother - CV can do their CV play ; BB can do their fire fight ; CL can go their mad machine gunning ; CA can do their range gunnery and yet the saying is DD need to adept; to adept;  to not to be able to fully exploit the boats potential .. it might be the proper way to play but is it fun to play ... If everybody else are free to play their play and yet in a DD you the player are not allowed that , is it still worth the hassel ...

And that question is not in Ranked only.

If I am in my Kagero ( which is neither good at AA nor good with smoke ) I should be allowed that same potential to play as I am in a Kidd or Bismarck or Amalfi or other T8 but as op stated its not ... if the game and game mode start to discrimanate a class and a tree of ships its got some explanation to do and until fixed the simple fact is not if one can play its if one should or should not 

By not playing its a demonstration to WG that they had it wrong and they need to change it for the better

Edited by Mechfori

[BLESS]
1,438 posts
12,693 battles

Well, for the Kidd vs Kagero, I would say Kidd, because the current meta all but guaranties CV games. But I've seen people make Kagero work, and Asashio also. That's what I was trying to get at with my original post: the meta allows for more flexibility this time, all DDs are workable if you play to their strengths -  but you really have to be on the ball re. your ship's particular character. That's the thing about DDs generally, they are not brute force tools so absolute "power" is not the key determining factor, but moreso skill in working with what you have.

I find playing a DD in this season's ranked sprint (and a DD generally) to be a lot of fun, for this reason. There are more options on the table.

Edited by Rina_Pon

Sign in to follow this