Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
charcoal44

Torpedo Aiming Advice Please

19 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
131 posts
1,450 battles

After searching threads and you tube vids I still am having some trouble understanding the mechanics of aiming the torpedoes.

Could someone please point me in the right direction.

Also, are secondary and AA guns fully automated?

if so, then the 120 mm gun forward on Yubari, does it work? I've not seen it turned as of yet when targets were available.

Is there any way to control them?

Thanks.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

AA guns, Secondary guns, small caliber Guns are fully automated against air target,

Funnily enough you can still use your small main guns to shot things while at the same time engaging any enemy planes

Torpedoes... well let's assume you using IJN destroyer

There is an aim guide for your torp when targeting enemy

But this aim not guarantee any hits since the enemy ship can either slowing down or speeding up or even do a hard turn to avoid your torpedoes

In my opinion, most appropriate range for torpedo launch is around 6 km outside enemy secondary guns range

The acquisition time for torpedoes in this closed beta is about 4 times better than when it was alpha test or weekend test

It means your torpedoes is quite easy to be spotted, making enemy have better time to response to your torpedoes

Predict where the enemy ship will response to your torpedoes when enemy see them

Beta Tester
30 posts
1,502 battles

Predict where the enemy ship will response to your torpedoes when enemy see them

and don't fire all your torpedo salvo, fire 1 first, when the ship makes a move, fire the second (or third) to where he's going. Will not always work. 

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

Nope, AA and Secondaries are all AI controlled 

But you still can tell them which target they should prioritize. Normally I have my AA guns to focus on torpedo bombers over everything else

Alpha Tester
210 posts
4,306 battles

Torpedoes. either hover your gun marker over an enemy until you get the white crosshair around their type icon, or press 'X' while looking at them to lock on, switch to torpedos, youll get a grey spread lead. Thats the aim assist, line your green spread marker up on top of it for a some what accurate hit. However, dont fire all torpedoes at once, launch one spread, then wait until you fire the next. 

The way i tend to do it, is there are three visibile lines in the spread lead and three in you green lead, i line the last two greens with the front two greys (extra lead than what its suggesting) fire one spread, then depending on what the most likely path he will change to, i fire another spread in that direction to where i reckon they might hit, usually it works out, but sometimes it doesnt. Either way, practicing with the torpedo aim assist should at some point help you with your own play style. When to use a narrow or wide spread is also something youll learn over time.

From what i can tell with AA, all of the smaller calibers (.50 cals, 25mms, 40mm's etc) are completely automatic. I dont know how much more effective it is to do so, but i press CTRL and select the squadron i want targeted. Dont know if that counts the secondaries (100mm's, 102mm's etc) or what, but certainly helps to take out one squadron of torpedo bombers, rather than having your AA fire scattered shots at every aircraft nearby. So far, the secondaries do not move at all, unless firing at ships within their range, any dual purpose guns (Cleveland-Des Moines, Aoba-Senjo) dont seem to even look in an aircrafts direction, which i hope we can expect in the near future (small details, i like them lol)

When you have dual purpose secondaries, you get the Y button function of added AA firepower, whether or not THAT switches your secondaries to AA, i dont know, because again, they dont move.

Alpha Tester
131 posts
1,450 battles

Torpedoes. either hover your gun marker over an enemy until you get the white crosshair around their type icon, or press 'X' while looking at them to lock on, switch to torpedos, youll get a grey spread lead. Thats the aim assist, line your green spread marker up on top of it for a some what accurate hit. However, dont fire all torpedoes at once, launch one spread, then wait until you fire the next. 

The way i tend to do it, is there are three visibile lines in the spread lead and three in you green lead, i line the last two greens with the front two greys (extra lead than what its suggesting) fire one spread, then depending on what the most likely path he will change to, i fire another spread in that direction to where i reckon they might hit, usually it works out, but sometimes it doesnt. Either way, practicing with the torpedo aim assist should at some point help you with your own play style. When to use a narrow or wide spread is also something youll learn over time.

From what i can tell with AA, all of the smaller calibers (.50 cals, 25mms, 40mm's etc) are completely automatic. I dont know how much more effective it is to do so, but i press CTRL and select the squadron i want targeted. Dont know if that counts the secondaries (100mm's, 102mm's etc) or what, but certainly helps to take out one squadron of torpedo bombers, rather than having your AA fire scattered shots at every aircraft nearby. So far, the secondaries do not move at all, unless firing at ships within their range, any dual purpose guns (Cleveland-Des Moines, Aoba-Senjo) dont seem to even look in an aircrafts direction, which i hope we can expect in the near future (small details, i like them lol)

When you have dual purpose secondaries, you get the Y button function of added AA firepower, whether or not THAT switches your secondaries to AA, i dont know, because again, they dont move.

Thanks for that, how do i line the green spread marker over the grey?

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

It would  be easier to explain in battle, try to play Co Op and try about what can you do with your torps

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Not sure if trolling or serious cuz hes an alpha tester but any way, most of the answer are there XD

Ten days before CBT they decided to pick weekend tester randomly to become alpha tester

(They pick so randomly, until they picked a player that did not even play in the weekend test but had the access for that)

Beta Tester
812 posts
2,681 battles

Ten days before CBT they decided to pick weekend tester randomly to become alpha tester

(They pick so randomly, until they picked a player that did not even play in the weekend test but had the access for that)

I see

Alpha Tester
134 posts
246 battles

Move your mouse ...  Wait do you use a mouse when playing ?

Once you get green on green , ie the grey becomes green , your good to fire .

Beta Tester
39 posts
169 battles

DD torps are fun. You get a cone once you've locked onto a ship that shows the "Predicted path" that's assuming no manuevering, or increase/decrease in speed. Line the torp launchers with that and fire them off. In practice though this rarely works unless you get really lucky.

Depending the nation the torps can be easy or hard to kill with. IJN DD's have long range torps but horrible guns that take forever to traverse a full rotation plus long reloads. IJN's are mainly long range snipers, and rely on you picking the right point to ambush from and the enemy being already engaged to get reliable hits with. They're also super stealthy. The Mutsuki at T6, can't be detected till 6.1 or 5.9kms from another ship, 3.5 from the air (Can't recall exact stats, no net access either so I can't confirm quickly) so you've got a nice window to sneak up to something big and juicy, fire and get away.

USN DD's flip that, great guns with quick turret traverse time but horrible torps with short ranges. I've found the best way to play them is to provide support around cruisers or if you're ballsy, rush a BB/CA/CV fire off your torps and get the heck out of there before they can do too much damage. Doesn't always work out but its fun nonetheless. Really a brawler type of DD for taking out short range targets. USN DD's on average are detectable at longer range (7kms + from the sea, 4.X from the air) than the IJN DDs.

For more info on the torpedo launching and the DDs in general see this video by iChase.

Alpha Tester
131 posts
1,450 battles

Move your mouse ...  Wait do you use a mouse when playing ?

Once you get green on green , ie the grey becomes green , your good to fire .

Yes I do, thank for that.

24 posts

OK Can I ask this? Say you are in torpedoes and you have lined up a shot on an enemy in distance with the crosshair on him and the aim assist grey spread ready. Then another enemy comes around an island which is very close to you. Can you get the crosshair and aim assist grey spread to go to this new target automatically WITHOUT hitting the X button?

thank you.

[151ST]
1,012 posts
4,505 battles

No, X switches targets, generally the game will try and auto aim at closest target to your reticle.

Insane necro btw

Sign in to follow this