Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
S4pp3R

In-Depth - Commonwealth Tech Tree Overview [proposal]

17 comments in this topic

[151ST]
3,539 posts
11,942 battles

G'day Folks,

So I've finally completed it, albeit it's not 100% perfect (I forgot to put in the tier number graphics in) but I'm not going through another 6 hour rendering process (silly me for making a cool animation as a background) so it'll do.

Also I'm pretty sure anyone who can count can easily tell what tier each ship is, so maybe it looks better without it.

There's a bit of a preamble but all the information is relevant and helps frame the context.

Thanks to everyone's input on this over the last couple of years, this is as much your Tech Tree idea as it is mine, so thankyou!

Kick back and enjoy...

As usual, YouTube and Reddit love would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Yes I did do the Commonwealth Flag animation from scratch, yes that is why rendering took so bloody long, no that's not why the video got delayed... BAH! Stop pestering me and watch the video!

• Cool 6

[LBAS]
Modder, Member
6,751 posts
43,431 battles

ha ha, the last thing I hear, make me hype :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[151ST]
3,539 posts
11,942 battles
3 hours ago, MatterCore said:

ha ha, the last thing I hear, make me hype :Smile_teethhappy:

lol

I spelled Delhi wrong 😢

• Funny 1

5,678 posts
9,495 battles

Disclaimers: Therearetoomanytrollfacesinthistotakeitseriously.

CW CR line would most likely be CLs then CAs, like many of the CR lines in the game. The reason being the CW Navy is not a "big" navy of the primary era of the game (almost non-existent in WW1-1920s, pretty minor in WW2 and still pretty minor now). Also the opportunity to introduce the RN 4x3 203 CA design in the game. Tier undetermined.

The CR line can always be split later, of course.

The most logically thing may be WG conjuring thinking of a Canadian or Australian Navy in an alternative history perspective, where they were more war-like and yanked themselves from the Brits in all aspects. The Common Wealth Empires of Canadia, Australia and New Zealandia:Smile_trollface: 

Basically put all rejected RN designs into the CW tree because why not.

You can help them design some ships as well :Smile_trollface:

Also no BB line :Smile_trollface: 

• Cool 2

[LBAS]
Modder, Member
6,751 posts
43,431 battles
1 hour ago, S4pp3R said:

lol

I spelled Delhi wrong 😢

well, its INdian, not your language acceptable :fish_haloween:

[151ST]
3,539 posts
11,942 battles
48 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Disclaimers: Therearetoomanytrollfacesinthistotakeitseriously.

CW CR line would most likely be CLs then CAs, like many of the CR lines in the game. The reason being the CW Navy is not a "big" navy of the primary era of the game (almost non-existent in WW1-1920s, pretty minor in WW2 and still pretty minor now). Also the opportunity to introduce the RN 4x3 203 CA design in the game. Tier undetermined.

The CR line can always be split later, of course.

The most logically thing may be WG conjuring thinking of a Canadian or Australian Navy in an alternative history perspective, where they were more war-like and yanked themselves from the Brits in all aspects. The Common Wealth Empires of Canadia, Australia and New Zealandia:Smile_trollface: 

Basically put all rejected RN designs into the CW tree because why not.

You can help them design some ships as well :Smile_trollface:

Also no BB line :Smile_trollface: 

Yeah fair enough but it's far easier working with CLs for progression and I don't think going down the smoke CA route is a good idea.

[151ST]
3,539 posts
11,942 battles
44 minutes ago, MatterCore said:

well, its INdian, not your language acceptable :fish_haloween:

Yes but I should know better, I was absent minded

• Cool 1

[-CAT-]
3,394 posts
13,577 battles

:Smile_medal:

What do you think about double bundle premium ships?

Like Indian and Pakistani Premium Destroyers and Cruisers serving both CWoN and PA. Just like Nueve and Boise.

PA version will get access to DW torpedo while keeping the single launch torpedo.

As for smoke, I'm kind of torn. I like both standard and creeping smoke.

And kudos for the vid mate. Especially the CL line. :Smile_great:

Indeed, Bellona is the odd one, but I belive WG could make something out of it. It's not like it ever stopped them.

I'm looking at you Smolength and Megatron Bargatron. Switching 133 mm guns for 152 mm guns.

Edited by S0und_Theif
  • Cool 3

5,678 posts
9,495 battles
1 hour ago, S4pp3R said:

Yeah fair enough but it's far easier working with CLs for progression and I don't think going down the smoke CA route is a good idea.

I didn't say anything about line gimmicks just yet, just the designs. Surely the line would do well if the gimmicks are the same as Perth, but the designs matter more than the gimmicks. I always save the gimmick/trait talk for last.

The 4x3 203 is missing from the RN tree and I'm mildly bothered by that.

Design-wise, WG can either look at the prelim designs from the RN archives and put them into the CW lines or copy existing RN ships whole sale. The latter is neither awesome nor unique, just plainly lazy, and would probably offend people from the CWoN.

Edited by Paladinum

[151ST]
3,539 posts
11,942 battles
3 hours ago, S0und_Theif said:

:Smile_medal:

What do you think about double bundle premium ships?

Like Indian and Pakistani Premium Destroyers and Cruisers serving both CWoN and PA. Just like Nueve and Boise.

PA version will get access to DW torpedo while keeping the single launch torpedo.

As for smoke, I'm kind of torn. I like both standard and creeping smoke.

And kudos for the vid mate. Especially the CL line. :Smile_great:

Indeed, Bellona is the odd one, but I belive WG could make something out of it. It's not like it ever stopped them.

I'm looking at you Smolength and Megatron Bargatron. Switching 133 mm guns for 152 mm guns.

Thanks mate!

I really don't think they fit into the Pan-Asian nation. PA is basically 'East Asia not Japan'.

The Commonwealth fought together as a cohesive force in many cases for two world wars. From a political and military perspective there's a commonality there.

I just don't see how either Pakistan or India could be regarded as not being Commonwealth countries, particularly in a game generally focused around WW2.

2 hours ago, Paladinum said:

I didn't say anything about line gimmicks just yet, just the designs. Surely the line would do well if the gimmicks are the same as Perth, but the designs matter more than the gimmicks. I always save the gimmick/trait talk for last.

The 4x3 203 is missing from the RN tree and I'm mildly bothered by that.

Design-wise, WG can either look at the prelim designs from the RN archives and put them into the CW lines or copy existing RN ships whole sale. The latter is neither awesome nor unique, just plainly lazy, and would probably offend people from the CWoN.

Fair enough but I just would rather stay with CLs, not because I prefer them but because if it was CAs at best it'd start at T7 and I'd rather keep the line to one build.

[KRKEN]
4 posts
8,132 battles

I like the idea..will give it some thought. Oh and its pronounced Chat ham not chathe ham

• Cool 1

[151ST]
3,539 posts
11,942 battles
19 minutes ago, ROCCS said:

I like the idea..will give it some thought. Oh and its pronounced Chat ham not chathe ham

Thanks

Pretty sure I butchered Riebeeck too...

I was fairly close on the rest lol.

1,587 posts
7,963 battles
5 hours ago, S0und_Theif said:

That's Ochakov (MLK-8-152 variant of post-war small cruiser); Smolensk is MLK-16-130, the most radical variant, and Bagration is Project 65 Variant 1 (Dmitri Donskoi is an amalgamation of different variants, especially with the the alleged largest variant; during its development process Soviet designers proposed over 40 different variants ranging from a small cruiser armed with 9 152-mm guns to a large cruiser armed with 180-mm guns until the whole development was terminated in favor of the Project 68-bis).

The Dido-class cruiser is based on the hulls of Arethusa-class already.

About 133-mm DP guns: https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/4277-

1944cruiserN2.jpg.6a55b273302b1345a3c3b7b12bbeac62.jpg

untitled-CruiserN2.thumb.png.81bdd1c1684caa7f46c56f094d91d81d.png

(Courtesy of TZoli from European WoWS community and cools0812 from Tieba community)

There exist only fragmented and contradictory information about this project, which was developed during WWII and was cancelled in favor of new 152-mm DP guns that can have better performance against surface targets.

Edited by Project45_Opytny

[4RSE]
401 posts
10,816 battles
1 hour ago, S4pp3R said:

Thanks

Pretty sure I butchered Riebeeck too...

I was fairly close on the rest lol.

Yeah. It's pronounced "van Reeebeck" the ie is sounded like eee and the beeck is shortened to just a single e sound.

I grew up in South Africa, only emigrated to Aussie when I was 16 (I am well over 50 now).

• Cool 1

[151ST]
3,539 posts
11,942 battles
35 minutes ago, lunsmann said:

Yeah. It's pronounced "van Reeebeck" the ie is sounded like eee and the beeck is shortened to just a single e sound.

I grew up in South Africa, only emigrated to Aussie when I was 16 (I am well over 50 now).

I knew it!!!!

I kept looking at it and thinking it'd be something like that, thanks for the confirmation.

[SALT]
2,123 posts
10,571 battles
3 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

There exist only fragmented and contradictory information about this project, which was developed during WWII and was cancelled in favor of new 152-mm DP guns that can have better performance against surface targets.

The Design was quite satisfactory, but Adm. Cunningham, the new First Sea Lord canceled it. in favor of new 6inch Mount

The New 6inch mount can fire faster (17 round per min per gun - compared to 12 round per min per gun for 133mm), it can traverse 40 degree per seconds. The Throwing Weight is vastly supperior as 1 gun can fire 2 Tons of shells into the air in 60 seconds. the 6 inch higher rate of fire is vastly superior especialy in fighting Aircraft.

so the Information suggest High angle, Anti aircraft capability seems to be Decisive factor

Edited by humusz

[151ST]
3,539 posts
11,942 battles

Update folks...

Working on getting the other scripts finalised, wanted to have at least the next one done this weekend but I'm just too busy with work and bleeding WoWS events, lol.

So we're looking at August sometime.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this