Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Thyaliad

Arizona or West Virginia for Operations

Arizona or West Virginia for Operations  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Arizona
    • West Virginia

20 comments in this topic

[MRI]
3,795 posts
16,863 battles

I am thinking of using the armoury coupon to pick up a T6 USN BB for use in Operations.

Arizona vs West Virgina - which do you think is better and why?

Or should I just use my coupon on another ship? Or just save my doubloons and don't get anything altogether?

[LYNMF]
Beta Tester
1,982 posts
6,591 battles

Arizona for overpowered 12 barrage of 12th hell at the cost of reload worse than New Mexico.

WV 1941 is basically a weaker Colorado.

I suggest you go for PEF and/or Warspite for good use of operations.

• Cool 4

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
1,153 posts
7,965 battles

Lawrence is right if you turn those US BB's once in an operation you will be left behind never to catchup

• Cool 1

[LBAS]
Modder, Member
6,751 posts
43,431 battles

If you want a Amelikan sheep then take Mongahan, somewhat OP

Hull A: 4x1 127mm + 2x4 533mm plus Torp reload booster

Hull B: 2x1 127mm + 2x5 533mm plus Torp reload booster

If you want a BB then . . . take this >>

[LAL]
84 posts
12,656 battles

14inch gun*12 vs16inch gun*8, do the math:

20min in every operation.

20*60=1200s

1200/34.5*12 vs 1200/30*8

besides, it is teir 6 game, 16 inch got to have a sh*t load of overpen

• Cool 1

[LYNMF]
Beta Tester
1,982 posts
6,591 battles
9 hours ago, BigWaveSurfer said:

Lawrence is right if you turn those US BB's once in an operation you will be left behind never to catchup

Arizona and West Virginia 1941 are good at enmity due to their excellent all-or-nothing armor and excellent super heavy firepower when you can kill things your way , but most operations are quite large and those guys is like slower than a Bicycle. ( save it for Killer Whale where you raid shadow legends base and get lost ) .

[-CAT-]
3,418 posts
13,616 battles

Arizona

The only time you would appreciate W. Virginia and her 406 mm (16 inch) guns is only in Defence of New Port. It's the only operation that your team will face a T9.

Other than that, go for Arizona. 12 guns, means more things to throw at your enemy. The more your throw at them, the more it will stick. The downside though, is the reload time.

As for other ships, other than Odin, what tier is your limit?

Edited by S0und_Theif
  • Cool 1

[MRI]
3,795 posts
16,863 battles
1 hour ago, S0und_Theif said:

As for other ships, other than Odin, what tier is your limit?

Well I was hoping to get something for Operations. I realised my roster was missing a Tier 6 Premium USN BB for Ops usage, hence the question. Otherwise I don't really have a tier limit. Feel free to suggest.

For Tier 6 Premiums, I am missing a USN DD and an Italian cruiser.  I have been eyeing Monaghan, but I am not sure how effective her B hull is in Ops. Duca D'Aousta still uses HE so captain cross-training may be a bit of an issue.

For other ships, I already own those that I am interested in using. I was thinking about getting the Gascogne because yay secondaries, but the IFHE nerf made me change my mind. I was also thinking of getting Roma as a makeshift Italian CA captain trainer, but after getting Gorizia the Roma isn't needed.

Apart from those I am not that keen on any of the other ships.

[LBAS]
Modder, Member
6,751 posts
43,431 battles
6 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

I have been eyeing Monaghan, but I am not sure how effective her B hull is in Ops.

Duca D'Aousta still uses HE so captain cross-training may be a bit of an issue.

Monaghan hull B like a Mini Dunkek, hull A like Farragut hull C and the interesting thing is both Hull A & B can swap 6.4  or 9.2 km of Torp

Ducati is not a good sheep

Edited by MatterCore

[-CAT-]
3,418 posts
13,616 battles
10 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

For Tier 6 Premiums, I am missing a USN DD and an Italian cruiser.  I have been eyeing Monaghan, but I am not sure how effective her B hull is in Ops. Duca D'Aousta still uses HE so captain cross-training may be a bit of an issue.

I don't have Mogaghan but upon reading her information, she is a give and take DD.

Hull A makes her a gun boat, Hull B makes her a torpedo boat.

But "if" WG ever plans to bring back Operation Dynamo, then she is a good ship to take. Since speed boost and DFAA are both separated.

Wow, she even has TRB if you don't plan to use DFAA. :fish_book:

10 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

For other ships, I already own those that I am interested in using. I was thinking about getting the Gascogne because yay secondaries, but the IFHE nerf made me change my mind. I was also thinking of getting Roma as a makeshift Italian CA captain trainer, but after getting Gorizia the Roma isn't needed.

If WG plans to implement Champagne as doubloon ship, that is one to keep an eye for.

Though she only has 6 - 406 mm guns, with AY configuration.

How bout Haida? Quite enjoyable to play on all 3 game modes, but with only 1 set of torpedo tubes, it's difficult when they are reloading.

But the crawling smoke is enjoyable.

[MRI]
3,795 posts
16,863 battles
35 minutes ago, S0und_Theif said:

If WG plans to implement Champagne as doubloon ship, that is one to keep an eye for.

Aye, Champagne was the other reason I backed away from getting Gascogne.

38 minutes ago, S0und_Theif said:

How bout Haida? Quite enjoyable to play on all 3 game modes, but with only 1 set of torpedo tubes, it's difficult when they are reloading.

Haida eh? The thing is Commonwealth doesn't have a tech tree as of yet so Haida can't be used as a captain trainer. I am just being fussy, but for me a big draw of Premium ships is their ability to swap captains so they can be used as captain trainers and/or to easily accrue elite commander xp. As an "orphan" ship Haida is unable to do either (unless I slowly grind up her captain to max level first). It is the same reason why my Perth is rusting in Port. The only exception was me buying the GZ.

I will probably pick her up one day when a Commonwealth line gets introduced though. As of now probably not, especially since Narai was gutted (thanks WG :Smile_sceptic:) and there are no other T7 Ops in the rotation.

• Cool 1

1,596 posts
7,995 battles
1 hour ago, S0und_Theif said:

I don't have Mogaghan but upon reading her information, she is a give and take DD.

Hull A makes her a gun boat, Hull B makes her a torpedo boat.

But "if" WG ever plans to bring back Operation Dynamo, then she is a good ship to take. Since speed boost and DFAA are both separated.

Wow, she even has TRB if you don't plan to use DFAA. :fish_book:

Personally speaking I would like to wait and see how Champagne performs and how will WG tweak her. She is still Work in Progress and now it seems that she, together with Borodino and Slava, are going to test a new "subclass" of battleships that have peculiar characteristics: she has 25-mm bow and stern plating, a very unusual feature, considering the recent IFHE Rework, for a high-tier battleship.

Personally speaking:

Currently I haven't played destroyers or CVs yet, though I am close to get Shinonome from that campaign (and Aigle, Campbeltown and Anshan are available for coal). If I have much time I shall start from Langley and Wakatake/Isokaze perhaps?

I have Fog Myoko and Fog Kongo-class from the ARP Rerun Event, enough for Japanese captain training purposes; though there do exist better choices like the current Warhammer-themed Amagi and the famous Atago, as well as large cruiser Yoshino though.

For British battleships Nelson is already OK though I am planning to get Thunderer to "skip the Monarch and Lion grind". Though the Exeter Marathorn happened well before I came here, I also have got London from British CA event though I haven't made up my mind how to equip her (with rudder mod or propulsion mod) yet, and it seems that she can also be used to train British CL captains.

Texas, also earned for free, can work to train USN BB captains though Arizona is indeed better in the long run (can work in Scenarios). I haven't been deep into USN Cruisers yet and the problem hasn't been obvious yet (I plan to get Alaska though). For Italian cruisers I have Gorizia grinded last year, and the French, Jean Bart (also used to grind credits).

While there is a plethora of Soviet premium/special ships: Kirov, Murmansk, Mikoyan, Okt Rev, Lazo as well as Moskva and Smolensk in my port, currently I do not own a single German premium... though I hope that I can at least get a free Graf Spee, a very unique ship, from this event. The newly-added Agir also interests me though she would demand me to grind for another half a million FXP (at least easier than to grind for Research Points)...

I have won a Perth from the 4th Anniversary Event and besides occasional Killer Whale runs, I have regularly used her only in the Submarine Battles event where there is a T6 only environment with lots of bots and emphasis on smaller ships rather than battleships.

Also it has been troubling me till now... I feel it's better to choose "For the Emperor" and the respective themed camouflage also looks much better than the Chaos one, but the Free XP bonus is also rather attractive considering the goal called Agir.

Edited by Project45_Opytny
  • Cool 1

[-CAT-]
3,418 posts
13,616 battles
53 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

Personally speaking I would like to wait and see how Champagne performs and how will WG tweak her. She is still Work in Progress and now it seems that she, together with Borodino and Slava, are going to test a new "subclass" of battleships that have peculiar characteristics: she has 25-mm bow and stern plating, a very unusual feature, considering the recent IFHE Rework, for a high-tier battleship.

Personally speaking:

Currently I haven't played destroyers or CVs yet, though I am close to get Shinonome from that campaign (and Aigle, Campbeltown and Anshan are available for coal). If I have much time I shall start from Langley and Wakatake/Isokaze perhaps?

I have Fog Myoko and Fog Kongo-class from the ARP Rerun Event, enough for Japanese captain training purposes; though there do exist better choices like the current Warhammer-themed Amagi and the famous Atago, as well as large cruiser Yoshino though.

For British battleships Nelson is already OK though I am planning to get Thunderer to "skip the Monarch and Lion grind". Though the Exeter Marathorn happened well before I came here, I also have got London from British CA event though I haven't made up my mind how to equip her (with rudder mod or propulsion mod) yet, and it seems that she can also be used to train British CL captains.

Texas, also earned for free, can work to train USN BB captains though Arizona is indeed better in the long run (can work in Scenarios). I haven't been deep into USN Cruisers yet and the problem hasn't been obvious yet (I plan to get Alaska though). For Italian cruisers I have Gorizia grinded last year, and the French, Jean Bart (also used to grind credits).

While there is a plethora of Soviet premium/special ships: Kirov, Murmansk, Mikoyan, Okt Rev, Lazo as well as Moskva and Smolensk in my port, currently I do not own a single German premium... though I hope that I can at least get a free Graf Spee, a very unique ship, from this event. The newly-added Agir also interests me though she would demand me to grind for another half a million FXP (at least easier than to grind for Research Points)...

I have won a Perth from the 4th Anniversary Event and besides occasional Killer Whale runs, I have regularly used her only in the Submarine Battles event where there is a T6 only environment with lots of bots and emphasis on smaller ships rather than battleships.

Also it has been troubling me till now... I feel it's better to choose "For the Emperor" and the respective themed camouflage also looks much better than the Chaos one, but the Free XP bonus is also rather attractive considering the goal called Agir.

I never even considered playing DD as I prefer C and BB.

But after getting an idea on IJN DD and USN DD, I started to enjoy them a lot more.

USN DD teaches tou how to gunfight (cowboys), while IJN DD teaches you how to stealth torp (ninja).

When playing Russian DD, you should be drunk when playing them. When you are drunk, you will not care if torpedo range is 4 km. High risk, high reward. But, don't expect to survive every battle.

This is just low tier DD play. And this was before the CV rework. There are times where you can enjoy battles with no CV. Now, you have to worry 2 CV per side. (At least no longer 3 CV per side.)

As for CV, I have mixed feelings.

RTS CV is complicated. Especially on higher tiers where you control 9 squadrons. Skilled RTS CV players can dominate the battlefied.
You can gut a player if they wonder too far off their team.
The down side, you can be de-planed. Making you useless if you were careless and have 0 planes left.

I still can remember the 2 tactics they used to kill me. Cross torp or torp, flood, repair, torp.

The rework CV is more easier to play, and you have unlimited planes.
The down side, you now can not gut any player easily unlike the RTS days.

Cross torp is possible but difficult to do (for me).
Flooding tactic is still possible, but not as effective as before. WG changed the flooding mechanic.

Edited by S0und_Theif

[MRI]
3,795 posts
16,863 battles
1 hour ago, Project45_Opytny said:

If I have much time I shall start from Langley and Wakatake/Isokaze perhaps? 

Yes for those new to CVs I suggest going up the American line first. They are much more versatile and therefore easier to use compared to the Japanese CVs, whose squadrons are more effective but very specialized. The British CVs are quite simple to use also and their torpedo squadrons are very, very comfortable to control, but the downside is they are highly dependent on stacking DoTs. Overall I will say the British CVs are the least effective of the 3.

For DDs, I recommend starting with the Americans and Japanese too. The Americans DDs are good all-rounders with no silly gimmicks, while the Japanese, though more unforgiving compared to the Americans, will very quickly teach you the important basics of DD play.

• Cool 1

[MRI]
3,795 posts
16,863 battles

I went ahead and got the Arizona.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

• Cool 1

[LYNMF]
Beta Tester
1,982 posts
6,591 battles
12 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

I went ahead and got the Arizona.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Good Luck Slugging out the speed in any Ops.

But mind you, Play as New Mexico but with Longer reloads yet it has stronger armor than New Mexico. Its the opposite of New Mexico.

[BZ]
51 posts
14,296 battles

Bit late now, but for Operations the techline BBs are all fine. Fuso and Ismail are both probably better than the Arizona.

For DDs - Aigle is great for most of the ops. T61 too if you are lucky enough to get it.

With Cruisers - London can do spectacularly well until the AI ships decide to focus it.

1,596 posts
7,995 battles
On 6/23/2020 at 3:01 PM, JulesVn said:

Bit late now, but for Operations the techline BBs are all fine. Fuso and Ismail are both probably better than the Arizona.

For DDs - Aigle is great for most of the ops. T61 too if you are lucky enough to get it.

With Cruisers - London can do spectacularly well until the AI ships decide to focus it.

Arizona can be used to grind more credits and train USN BB captains. It is said that Prinz Eitel Friedrich is also a good choice, though it upsets me to pay for a generally speaking mediocre ship primarily for operations that many of my peers have acquired for free before.

I have learnt some information about Aigle, and how about Anshan?

Molotov is also a good choice for operations, especially Aegis. Pensacola works in a similar way though she has 25-mm plating all around and have to train a specialized captain for her.

On 6/20/2020 at 9:59 PM, S0und_Theif said:

Today Champagne has become available in Premium Shop for cash. Personally speaking I would like to wait and see how those commenters rate her...

Sign in to follow this