Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

796
[BLESS]
Member
1,458 posts
12,778 battles

My opinion of the 4 point captain skill, radio position finder (RPF), has evolved recently. I used to consider it a "must" on high tier DDs, but I re-specced my Fletcher captain to remove it and proceeded to have two monster games. This just re-affirmed what I'd been moving towards for a while now: those 4 skill points are better spent elsewhere.

There are two main uses for RPF.

1. Locating an undetected enemy ship, usually the enemy DD. This is less useful than it sounds, however, since this information only matters in the specific situtation where 1. you don't already have good idea where he is anyway AND 2. it is important to know this. The classic example is close in fighting around smoke screens or islands, where you have a straight binary guess "did he go that way or did he go this way". Without RPF you have no way to know which is more likely, and without that answer you have significantly reduced chances of surviving the encounter, especially if the opponent has RPF equipped.

2. RPF is also an effective deterrent to enemy DDs. If a DD is located he is unlikely to even bother to try to run down a flank, and won't be successful if he does. There is no way to sneak behind the enemy lines and ambush the CV at the back of the map. So RPF is legitimately useful here

There are however downsides. With RPF you risk giving away more information to the enemy team than you collect for yourself.

1. You broadcast your approach to an enemy BB on a stealth torp run. Any DD that is in the habit of getting close to enemy BB and launching torps from stealth is going to take a big penalty, because the BB is going to be alert to you being close by. And it is 10x harder to hit an alert BB than one that thinks you are nowhere near him.

2. You broadcast your presence to an enemy DD. Especially when you do the "move up to the cap but park just outside" routine - which I do a lot, to great success - this is a real killjoy. DD captains are eternal optimists (trust me, I am one), in that faced with no evidence of a threat, they will act as though there is none.

3. It's actually quite a distraction, as for much of the game time it returns useless information that you still have to examine and process.

Advice I once got on this forum was "RPF for competitive, no RPF for randoms".

Competitive, you are much more likely to be in 1-on-1 fights, so the information RPF gives you is much more likely to be useful and actionable. In Randoms you are better off, I think now, to put away the assist and trust your instincts.

Edited by Rina_Pon
  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,337
[TLS]
Member
4,836 posts
21,272 battles

RPF is for n00blords. A position which I have maintained since Day 1 of its introduction. Real captains are prepared and alert for surprises.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,558
[REPOI]
[REPOI]
Member
6,779 posts
28,532 battles
20 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

RPF is for n00blords. A position which I have maintained since Day 1 of its introduction. Real captains are prepared and alert for surprises.

not really, there are spesific uses for RPF since it gives you intel from nothing, of course any captain worth his salt knows where enemy are can can predict their movement to some extent, but if you needed to do something like pretorp to check a cap to see if there's someone lurking then RPF is a good choice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,337
[TLS]
Member
4,836 posts
21,272 battles
24 minutes ago, CV_NMSL said:

not really, there are spesific uses for RPF since it gives you intel from nothing, of course any captain worth his salt knows where enemy are can can predict their movement to some extent, but if you needed to do something like pretorp to check a cap to see if there's someone lurking then RPF is a good choice

ie. for n00blords. RPF is just like poorman's radar.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
274
[KAMI]
Member
530 posts
6,381 battles
1 hour ago, Rina_Pon said:

Competitive, you are much more likely to be in 1 on 1 fights, so the information RPF gives you is much more likely to be useful and actionable. In Randoms you are better off, I think now, to put away assist and trust your instincts".

So the real advice is that its still good to have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
796
[BLESS]
Member
1,458 posts
12,778 battles
4 minutes ago, Verytis said:

So the real advice is that its still good to have?

Only in CB (which no one plays anymore) and Ranked. So, only in Ranked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
274
[KAMI]
Member
530 posts
6,381 battles
2 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

DD captains are eternal optimists (trust me, I am one), in that faced with no evidence of a threat, they will act as though there is none.

Also I really enjoyed this sentence. It speaks volumes, especially the optimist part.

Edited by Verytis
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
828
[SMOKE]
Member
2,485 posts
18,013 battles

Most importantly its 4 point you can spent on something else with guaranteed always better return say AFT or IFHE sure the skill can be and at time useful its just that there exist better options

Edited by Mechfori

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
270
[TWR]
Member
1,325 posts
5,152 battles
3 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

RPF is for n00blords. A position which I have maintained since Day 1 of its introduction. Real captains are prepared and alert for surprises.

 

20 minutes ago, Mechfori said:

Most importantly its 4 point you can spent on something else with guaranteed always better return say AFT or IFHE sure the skillcan be and at time useful its just that there exist better options

I remember all the whining the DD players were doing when it was first introduced as they thought the BB players were all going to take it,and then the BB players telling them that they were whining about nothing as they had a better use for 4 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,337
[TLS]
Member
4,836 posts
21,272 battles
4 minutes ago, BanditSE1977 said:

I remember all the whining the DD players were doing when it was first introduced as they thought the BB players were all going to take it,and then the BB players telling them that they were whining about nothing as they had a better use for 4 points.

Why would a stupid BB/CA/CL take it. Oh wait, I already said the reason. BUT I have seen them still take it. Seriously.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
754
[SALT]
Member
2,122 posts
10,571 battles
25 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Why would a stupid BB/CA/CL take it. Oh wait, I already said the reason. BUT I have seen them still take it. Seriously.

Some Cruiser have excess 4 skill points though. Venezia and Zao is one of them

other pick were AFT (which made the AA slightly useless) or Fire prevention (even more useless) 🤣


 

Edited by humusz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
796
[BLESS]
Member
1,458 posts
12,778 battles
37 minutes ago, humusz said:

Some Cruiser have excess 4 skill points though. Venezia and Zao is one of them

other pick were AFT (which made the AA slightly useless) or Fire prevention (even more useless) 🤣

 

It helps a Zao hunt down a rogue DD late game, though personally I took vigilance instead. Can't remember what I did with the extra 1 point...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39
[NOOB1]
Member
113 posts
7,346 battles

I had it on my DD - when the meta was like 4 DDs a side , perhaps well over a year ago. 

I have since speced out of it and not really missed it.

It has it uses  but really the down side is you give your intentions away to that BB you are looking to Torps

perhaps if u have a hard on for DD 1 on 1 battles it could be good - as people say for CBs

so could work for a mobile stealthily gun ship ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,618
[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,011 posts
13,699 battles
3 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Why would a stupid BB/CA/CL take it. Oh wait, I already said the reason. BUT I have seen them still take it. Seriously.

My Mino has it because what else the last 4 points could be spent for?

The lack of HE shells instantly disqualifies IFHE & DE.

Having 152 mm peashooter disqualifies BFT & AFT, which are 2 things Smolensk can get benefit from.

Vigilance? Why tho? That thing is so nimble to slip through the incoming torps unscratched.

Edited by Sir_Feather

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,558
[REPOI]
[REPOI]
Member
6,779 posts
28,532 battles
1 hour ago, dejiko_nyo said:

spend it on anything but that. BFT+AFT AA.

no, on certain ships getting more AA is not worth it, RPF is a solid investment on non-spam DD gunbotes and torp DDs, as well as for ships like mino for radar memes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,385
[MRI]
Member
3,786 posts
16,841 battles

RPF is good for competitive modes like Clan Battles, when you know you have teammates who can make use of that information. Works best when you are on voice comms.

Randoms? Not so much. Unless you are playing in a division, not all players are going to make use of that information (assuming they even read whatever you typed in chat). Using RPF for yourself is still useful, but it is arguable if it is worth the 4 points, especially if you are a skilled player yourself who can guesstimate the position of the enemy DD well. Plus it also has the downside of broadcasting your presence, and good players can abuse this to use your own RPF against you. I did that in one match a few days ago, I used an enemy DD's RPF and my team's relative position to get a good guess of where he was, then moved to cut off his escape path. Without his RPF, I would have played moved quite differently.

Overall I would say if it is for Randoms, RPF is up to player preference. I personally don't run RPF, since I feel the 4 points can almost always be better spent elsewhere.

But for Clan Battles, having one player with RPF is a must-have for the team.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,337
[TLS]
Member
4,836 posts
21,272 battles
10 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

But for Clan Battles, having one player with RPF is a must-have for the team.

In cw, you have to be a n00bl0rd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×