Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Davey77

Georgia or Thunderer?

19 comments in this topic

[151ST]
189 posts
4,339 battles

Hi guys and girls.

The time has come to pick my first coal ship. Georgia or Thunderer? I will eventually have both BUT there is talk of one/both being cut from the game this year. Not sure how long or when. If I get Thunderer now, Georgia will be less to grind coal for in a hurry if she's to be cut. On the other hand I can just purchase Georgia if pressed for time/coal while Thunderer is coal only. Your input and advice is always appreciated. Also has anyone heard anything about coal ships being cut from the Armory? 

Cheers

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,785 posts
28,581 battles
1 minute ago, Davey77 said:

Hi guys and girls.

The time has come to pick my first coal ship. Georgia or Thunderer? I will eventually have both BUT there is talk of one/both being cut from the game this year. Not sure how long or when. If I get Thunderer now, Georgia will be less to grind coal for in a hurry if she's to be cut. On the other hand I can just purchase Georgia if pressed for time/coal while Thunderer is coal only. Your input and advice is always appreciated. Also has anyone heard anything about coal ships being cut from the Armory? 

Cheers

rumor on the street is that slava is going to replace thunderer but i'd say both are gonna stay for a good while, they just removed JB after all

[HKG]
Senior Moderator
120 posts
14,954 battles
1 hour ago, Davey77 said:

Hi guys and girls.

Cheers

I will pick a tier 10 over tier 9 because it has given me goodies (supercontainers or gift container) during events.

Both the Georgia and Thunderer are fun ships though.

[IWN]
Modder
304 posts
3,102 battles

if you really like secondaries, then is Georgia. Other than that Thunderer is not that bad 

[DEVAS]
183 posts
7,172 battles

THUNDERRRRRRRR!!!

The reason why Thunderer:

1. It is a T10. It gives special reward at events. For example, there is an event during Christmas. Every ship has "snow" marking on it. It is like the "50% extra EXP" marking on ships if you haven't get a victory in it that day. Do you know what T10 reward ship gives? STEEL!

2. Thunderer is fun and easy to play. You play from the distance and burn everything. Of course she also has weaknesses such as mediocre armor, but overall she is fun to play. She is nimble to dodge shells like a cruiser.

3. It is a Conqueror with built in Unique Upgrade. Look at her stats, to have her is like having a Conqueror with the unique upgrade already installed in the system (of course with all 6 upgrade slots still vacant).

The reason why not Georgia:

1. Despite Georgia making more credits than Thunderer, Georgia has only 6 guns, and American shell. That means super slow flying shells. We don't play premium ships for grinding, we play for fun. Georgia is not so fun when comes to long range shell exchanging.

2. Now people said that Georgia is a great brawler. Yes... Compared to her American counterparts Georgia is an excellent brawler. But if you compare her to real brawler ships (let say Friedrich Der Große or Sovyetsky Soyuz, not even mention Ludendorff), Georgia is not good at all. She doesn't has the proper turtleback armor. It means you still must properly angling during close range combat, unlike FDG that you can just confidently goes full broadside at less than 5km range to expose all of your secondaries without afraid of being citadelled. Soyuz might be the same as Georgia; must be properly angled. But Soyuz has a lot better main guns than Georgia for close combat use.

3. Now let's talk about her secondaries.Georgia has American shell which I have described above that it is so floaty. You can use her for your guilty pleasure that her secondaries can lobbing over islands, but other than that her HE shells have very low penetration. Georgia couldn't produce much damage out of her secondaries. Most of Georgia damage output is by her main gun. Her secondaries can't penetrate most of BB and CA parts other than superstructures. Her secondary damage is from the fire it cause. Now let's compare with German brawler BBs. The secondary shells of German BBs are mixed of HE and AP. It means German secondaries do make real penetration damage. So, if Georgia brawl against a German brawler, she will hardly win. The same situation when she brawl against a Soviet brawler. Georgia secondaries cannot penetrate Soyuz armor, and exchanging main gun shells in short range is always be the Soyuz wet dream. So, Georgia is excellent when brawling against a non brawler ships and lobbing secondary shells over island. But when comes to brawl vs real brawler ships, she is at disadvantaged side.

4. Georgia is fun at the hand of experienced brawler BB players. Other than that, it is frustrating to handle her, especially when handling tactics to sneak in a huge BB to the front line for a brawling chance.

Edited by Robby_Hermanto

1,596 posts
7,995 battles
25 minutes ago, Robby_Hermanto said:

The secondary shells of German BBs are mixed of HE and AP.

Now all battleship secondaries fire HE shells...

The German 150-mm HE now boast 38-mm pen after the rework, thuogh there are too few of them and they are rather sluggish. German 128-mm HE can pen 32-mm, enough to deal damage to most of targets, but only available for Gneisnau, Grosser Kurfurst and Odin. German 105-mm HE can pen 26-mm, a tad better than USN 127-mm but still can only deal damage to higher-tier battleships by superstructure and setting fires.

30 minutes ago, Robby_Hermanto said:

Thunderer is fun and easy to play. You play from the distance and burn everything.

This is the simplest way to play this ship and indeed rather effective, though she also have regular-fused AP shells that can be used for great effect.

[K-O-F]
42 posts
10,552 battles

Georgia and yes Im USN Bias. Sure she has 6 guns, and tier 9 but she also has a PREMIUM SHIP thus making more creds. I dont know Thunderer but I give you the reason why you should choose Georgia.

1. 6 hard hitting 457 mm guns with 26 secs reload that soo accurate you can hit a citadel with a single shell should you miss. and you can use Artillery Plotting Room mod 2 which gave further -11% to dispersion

2. Great secondaries that melt anything coming close to her should you make her full secondaries build which is fun! also bonus to AA, shooting plane like it was made of paper.

3.She has Massat unique repair party that has faster CD, to keep you battle longer in the fight

4. Engine boost soo you can flank and disengage quickly, with top speed of 38 knots!

5.She can get match with Tier 7.. yep bully time heheheh

6. Shes a premium ship, more creds..

And now with the cons,

1. Iowa Armor anyone can pen you easily at T10 and T9, like don try to show your broadside too often but with speed boost you might get lucky and escaped unscathed.

2.Lowest DPM, since she only carry 6 guns, but she get compensated with amazing accuracy

3.457 equal heavier shell thus slower velocity, and with 6 guns, you need to get your timing right when shooting

4.Wheres muh torp protection wg???

But in the end its your choice, Thunderer is great but she cant bully low tier often, and shes a COPY of Conquerer with less effective Repair Party and carries DFAA. While Georgia is one of a kind.

[-CAT-]
489 posts
10,540 battles

I planned to get these ships when discount coupon available, so I'm listening to people opinions here too.

[DEVAS]
183 posts
7,172 battles
9 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

Now all battleship secondaries fire HE shells...

I just tested my Groẞer Kürfust, Friedrich Der Groẞe, and Bismarck (8 hours ago).

Their secondaries are not changing. They still have guns firing AP.

Where do you get this information?

1,596 posts
7,995 battles
1 hour ago, Robby_Hermanto said:

I just tested my Groẞer Kürfust, Friedrich Der Groẞe, and Bismarck (8 hours ago).

The port data suggests that all of the three ships you have mentioned have secondary batteries firing HE only.

[K-O-F]
42 posts
10,552 battles
2 hours ago, Robby_Hermanto said:

Its all HE now, AP has been removed. Secondaries now all bout the fires they make

[BONED]
790 posts
9,757 battles

With 170k coal in the bunker I am reading with interest...

Loving my Musahi, up to 61% WR in her after some serious thinking and learning about my shoddy BB play! Feels like the biggest learning was getting into positions to kite away from a weak flank.

My 65%plus days all have survival rates mid to high 50s. Staying in the game doing damage or soaking it up makes a big difference.

And the grind on the Ostergotland has been most enjoyable. Nearly cracked a 3k base experience game in her last night. 202k damage and 180k spotting with 4 kills. 

[DEVAS]
183 posts
7,172 battles
2 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

The port data suggests that all of the three ships you have mentioned have secondary batteries firing HE only.

Oh. All "on paper" data anywhere you could find enlisted HE as the ammunition.

This video was uploaded a month ago. It was on update 0.9.4. In that video, you can see the Kürfust having brawl at minute 03:45 to 04:15. The Kürfust secondaries fired both AP shells from the 128mm guns and HE shells from the 150mm guns.

The current update 0.9.5 we have today is still the same, no changes at German BB secondaries. I have test myself and found it still at the same state. It just I don't have video of my own game play. So I present a recent uploaded video from YouTube regarding German BB gameplay.

German is the only nation in game who have mixed secondary guns ammo of AP and HE. Other ships have only HE.

Do you have any official announcement that mention all secondaries have turned into HE as for this latest update?

Edited by Robby_Hermanto

1,596 posts
7,995 battles
2 hours ago, Robby_Hermanto said:

Oh. All "on paper" data anywhere you could find enlisted HE as the ammunition.

This video was uploaded a month ago. It was on update 0.9.4. In that video, you can see the Kürfust having brawl at minute 03:45 to 04:15. The Kürfust secondaries fired both AP shells from the 128mm guns and HE shells from the 150mm guns.

The current update 0.9.5 we have today is still the same, no changes at German BB secondaries. I have test myself and found it still at the same state. It just I don't have video of my own game play. So I present a recent uploaded video from YouTube regarding German BB gameplay.

German is the only nation in game who have mixed secondary guns ammo of AP and HE. Other ships have only HE.

Do you have any official announcement that mention all secondaries have turned into HE as for this latest update?

Many secondary batteries that fire AP has been changed into HE by Patch 0.7.11.

That include casemate secondaries of Imperial German dreadnoughts and earlier Japanese battleships/battlecruisers, 155-mm batteries of Izumo, Yamato and Musashi, 152-mm batteries of Nelson, and 152-mm batteries of Roma and Giulio Casare.

I am busy right now and may have a chance to test my Bismarck at noon.

Or according to your theory/claim, what specific secondary batteries of German battleships fire AP? I have only researched Bismarck and certainly will not waste my Free Xp on a line that I am not going to grind anytime soon.

Just made a test run with Bismarck in the training room and it seems that this is primarily a visual effect issue: under some currently unclear circumstances the shell traces of German 105-mm secondaries are rendered white like AP shells.

Edited by Project45_Opytny

[4RSE]
403 posts
10,878 battles

I think the confusion comes with the graphical representation of German secondary shells. Some of the secondary shells do have white tracers, and others have yellow tracers. I think that is the sum of the problem/issue here, the secondary guns all shoot HE, and all the data I can find in game and in the portal etc all point to HE secondaries.

[MRI]
3,795 posts
16,863 battles
4 hours ago, Robby_Hermanto said:

As others have said, that's just the graphical effect. All secondaries in the game have been standardised to fire HE only. This was done even before the CV rework.

Anyway this can easily be tested in the training room. Put a bot enemy GK with weapons on, sail into its secondary range (best to use a DD like Khaba, bot BBs will switch to HE for main guns against DDs) and just sit there until you die. Check the post battle results. There should be no AP damage from the secomdary guns.

Why there is this bug I have no idea.

• Cool 1

[TLS]
4,866 posts
21,287 battles

Hmm.. I have a coupon with 25% off steel/coal that will be renewed soon. What should I get. What should I get...  With >600k coal in the bunker.

[151ST]
189 posts
4,339 battles
4 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Hmm.. I have a coupon with 25% off steel/coal that will be renewed soon. What should I get. What should I get...  With >600k coal in the bunker.

with 19265 battles under your belt.... what don't you have???

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,785 posts
28,581 battles
3 minutes ago, Davey77 said:

with 19265 battles under your belt.... what don't you have???

you'd be surprised, steels ships for one, and lines that people don't bother to grind because they don't like it or is UP

i think i have 23k battles now and i still haven't touched the german DD line, and despite being in a hurricane clan i haven't gotten all the steel ships yet 

correction, 24k

Edited by CV_NMSL

Sign in to follow this