Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
sfcgx3

Do you guys still use IFHE on DM Donskoi?

14 comments in this topic

[AN-DO]
368 posts
7,799 battles

Post the IFHE change I feel it's a debatable situation. LWM's article seems to recommend it. What do you think?

Edited by sfcgx3

1,594 posts
7,984 battles

I still use IFHE-specced light cruiser build on my Dmitri (and potentially Alexander also) but indeed this is a significant nerf (the fire chance is relatively low even before the changes and she can no longer penetrate USN battleship decks, which is once a part of her distinctive advantages during the "Classical IFHE" period). It seems that I am following the traditional mindset that stresses direct HE damage through long-range gunnery? Put the PM1-SGM2 mobility build aside, even with a "traditional cruiser" full-concealment build (as concealment still means very much for a cruiser), Dmitri's detection distance is still too large to actively ambush enemy cruisers.

In contrast I have come across arguments that Tallinn and Pytor Bagration can leave IFHE aside as they are clearly designed with emphasis on their potent AP shells (LWM has also acknowledged this way of thought). Besides the mediocre potential damage output (which is shared with Mikoyan, Bagration, Dmitri and in a less extent, Molotov and Alexander), like Mikoyan, the tweaked dispersion formula of Tallinn also makes her HE performance very lackluster. Personally speaking I think the genesis of the gimmick/feature of Tallinn, Riga and Petropavlovsk can be traced back to Molotov: while her HE output is indeed inferior comparing with Budyonny, she is clearly far more superior in terms of AP performance and it has been argued that a large portion of the skills required to play her well is gunnery skills to citadel enemy cruisers regardless of the range/distance.

Edited by Project45_Opytny

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,497 posts
11,887 battles

I personally wouldn't take IFHE, it just nerfs you too much now, and all for the benefit of being able to pen bows and sterns of BB's, and the decks of a small number of BB's.  You also get to pay four points for the privilege of nerfing yourself!

Whack cruisers and DD's, and set fires on BB's.

[HKG]
Senior Moderator
120 posts
14,950 battles

If I recall correctly, 180mm guns HE shells get 30mm pen by default, and get 37mm pen with IFHE.

Having it will allow the cruiser to spam battleships with 32mm plating, such as French battleships. It doesn't work on high tier US battleship deck plating though, which conveniently has 38mm.

180mm the caliber itself picking IFHE should not be a tough decision, but Soviet 180mm has rather weak HE damage, much like German 203mm guns. It's AP is stellar though.

So this mostly boils down to your usage of AP. If you can make the most out of AP, you might want to save the fire chance of your HE shells (IFHE turns your fire chance from 13% to 6.5%, which is quite abysmal).

• Cool 2

[SMOKE]
2,510 posts
18,035 battles

Personally I do take IFHE on DM , the more consistent hit and damage and the ability to pen 37mm is useful though it will still struggle on high tier now with so many thick deck & side armor around

[NOOB1]
113 posts
7,357 battles

I am no expert but I took IFHE

reasons was LWM plus the issue for me was getting consistent fire damage because - the target ship might be already on fire or they just put your fires out quickly and go dark or ship may be nearly dead so l would rather get a kill than try and dot and hope.

Also from a distance when I am often kiting away ( you don't want to be too close ) I am happy to just be hitting the ship rather than be too pickly about exactly landing shells to start fires on for and aft.

So over all I think IFHE might lead to more consistent dmg.  I believe someone tested it extensively on NA servers and can to conclusion that there wasn't much in it but perhaps a slight edge to IFHE

the biggest issue with Donskoi is staying alive long enough to get dmg - often if I am ignored I can land enough shells to start some fires anyway

hope that helps

[BONED]
790 posts
9,757 battles
15 minutes ago, Dano07 said:

the biggest issue with Donskoi is staying alive long enough to get dmg - often if I am ignored I can land enough shells to start some fires anyway

Being a DD main now I am branching out into more serious BB play I target Donskois relentlessly when they are spotted..... unless there is a closer radar cruiser.

I prefer that ship either dead or hurting badly enough that you bugger off well away from my little brothers!

1,594 posts
7,984 battles
11 minutes ago, Puggsley said:

Being a DD main now I am branching out into more serious BB play I target Donskois relentlessly when they are spotted..... unless there is a closer radar cruiser.

I prefer that ship either dead or hurting badly enough that you bugger off well away from my little brothers!

On the other hand, thanks for reminding radar cruiser player to play more cautiously.

[BONED]
790 posts
9,757 battles
10 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

On the other hand, thanks for reminding radar cruiser player to play more cautiously.

Its a job I'm happy to do given the frustration i feel when playing a DD and my support ships just want to farm BB damage regardless of what else is spotted, especially radar cruisers.

Playing BBs I try to get maximum enemy DPM out of game per HP of damage i inflict. Enemy BBs come pretty low down on the list, and if my ally DDs are safe they are the best way of finishing BBs.

Had a great teamwork game last night where my support ships resisted farming the enemy BBs, switched target to the cruisers as soon as they were spotted which drove them off. That gave me space to kill the enemy DD on our flank early and we spent the next ten minutes farming them with impunity.

I had enemy BB and non radar cruisers from Red 90 to Green 90 at ranges of 8 to 10 km for about 8 minutes. I got 29 torpedo hits. 

• Cool 1

[NOOB1]
113 posts
7,357 battles

I also ran my Donskoi a bit different to others, based off someones advice -

set up : MA / Radar / AS / Prop / SG2 / CFCS2 ( range )

the reason for these mods are , I wanted to keep range ( the guns are good ) and be able to dodge better ( using speed and direction changes ) 

I actually used a central position rather than flanks as I wanted reds focused else where before I engaged ie guns turned away from my position - you need to keep eye on mini map 

you need to play defensive early or you will get deleted. So I try to keep 15 kms plus min distance - inside 12kms its much harder to dodge shells ( I watch when they fire and then hit the brakes and turn ) 

I don't radar caps early as that can mean an early death - but mid to late game its great for cleaning up DDs - but you also need to be in range to fire as well ( no point you radaring behind an island and watch DD run away laughing ) 

Hope it helps

Sign in to follow this