You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
sfcgx3

Mikoyan should be T4 if Kirov is T5

15 comments in this topic

[KMS-A]
183 posts
4,614 battles

How is it a comparable ship vs Kirov? 6 vs 9 guns. Yes the shells are a bit better but it's not like Georgia's guns vs iowa's. How is it a T5?

• Bad 1

[4RSE]
177 posts
4,857 battles

For real? It may be a glass cannon, but Mikoyan is actually quite strong when played right. The trick is to play it right. It's range is better than most T5 cruisers, it's guns hit harder than most T5 cruisers and it is fast and nimble. At least that's my current perception of it. On day one I swore it's a piece of shit that makes Krasny Krym look OP. I have since changed my opinion of it. It does have a high skill floor, it's difficult to play right because it's guns have such flat trajectory that you can't hide behind an island (which is what the lack of reliable armour demands) and have to expose yourself to danger to fire those excellent guns. Aggressive angling is essential.

But T4? Seriously no. Now if you were talking Veritas Unitas, I would agree.

• Cool 1

[LBAS]
Modder
6,178 posts
37,444 battles

noo, its strong ship

The main guns very good and the shell ballistic & penetration could match with Molotov, Bagration, Tallinn, Donskoi

• Cool 1

[SEARN]
891 posts
14,334 battles

No way. Mikoyan is a very capable and strong cruiser when played right.

I went in thinking, oh wow high speed, great guns and torps! I'm going to play this like Furutaka and boss everyone. Bad idea. Several dumb and early deaths later I realised I was to blame.

Mikoyan does not have Furutaka armour. If you get caught in the open even a DD will wreck you in short order with HE. Happened to me on several occasions that I lost 30-40% HP to DD HE shells. I overextended often, which is easy to do with the high speed, and got into a situation where I was the best target for everyone to shoot at. RIP me.

Play at range, play smart and use the speed to change position and pop up where you are not expected to be. AP has great pen and hits hard. Stay mobile and angle always. The torps might be only 4km but hit hard and are very useful when the situation allows.

Started out not enjoying the ship at all but now I really think Mikoyan is not only a good T5 cruiser, but close to being the best one.

[HKENL]
313 posts
11,460 battles
3 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

No way. Mikoyan is a very capable and strong cruiser when played right.

I went in thinking, oh wow high speed, great guns and torps! I'm going to play this like Furutaka and boss everyone. Bad idea. Several dumb and early deaths later I realised I was to blame.

Mikoyan does not have Furutaka armour. If you get caught in the open even a DD will wreck you in short order with HE. Happened to me on several occasions that I lost 30-40% HP to DD HE shells. I overextended often, which is easy to do with the high speed, and got into a situation where I was the best target for everyone to shoot at. RIP me.

Play at range, play smart and use the speed to change position and pop up where you are not expected to be. AP has great pen and hits hard. Stay mobile and angle always. The torps might be only 4km but hit hard and are very useful when the situation allows.

Started out not enjoying the ship at all but now I really think Mikoyan is not only a good T5 cruiser, but close to being the best one.

when played right ? when situation allows? 

very funny :Smile_trollface:

[PATEN]
Video Contributor, Beta Tester, Clantest Coordinator
2,626 posts
13,146 battles

Excuse me?

[KMS-A]
183 posts
4,614 battles

Still no one answers the question why Mikoyan is the same tier as Kirov. Kirov can do almost everything Mikoyan does but way better.

• Boring 1

[4RSE]
177 posts
4,857 battles
35 minutes ago, sfcgx3 said:

Still no one answers the question why Mikoyan is the same tier as Kirov. Kirov can do almost everything Mikoyan does but way better.

Mikoyan at T4 would be way too OP - I thought I addressed that already. Mikoyan's guns are already the best cruiser guns in T5, better than Kirov in my opinion. Mikoyan's ONLY downside is the lack of armor, but many T5 cruisers have the same problem, especially the American cruiser. 

[FORCE]
1,665 posts
10,066 battles
1 hour ago, sfcgx3 said:

That's why Kirov gets converted into a premium. Too good to be non-premium. Or rather Kirov should have been a T6 non-premium if we consider her raw stats more thoroughly.

But this is the same game that puts the post-war era ships on the same tier with the WW 2-era ships....

• Cool 1

[PATEN]
Video Contributor, Beta Tester, Clantest Coordinator
2,626 posts
13,146 battles
2 hours ago, sfcgx3 said:

it's your question not ours 

• Funny 2

69 posts

mikoyan for me me is a great ship, very much in the vain of the heavy cruiser soviet line, cruise out the back plugging holes when needed. The range is huge  16.2k dude at 920m/s at t5 flat and hard. Kirov is a light cruiser 14.84 k range at 800m/s (floaty).concealement Mikoyan 11.98 Kirov 14.22 ,same speed 35.5 knots but mikoyan rudder 5.9s v kirov 11s. Mikoyan ap (4550 damage) is hard and punchy i feel more confident when switching to ap, Kirov the he is the norm seldom bringing  out the ap (4100 damage), unless red ship is boradside and close. Mikoyan feels a little like an russian version of the italian line. I think wg have done well with having a distinct identity for both lines with these 2 premium t 5 vodka and lemonade cruisers.

[SEARN]
891 posts
14,334 battles
14 hours ago, da189 said:

when played right ? when situation allows? 

very funny :Smile_trollface:

Not meant to be funny, but I'm glad you got enjoyment out of it. 

I did say in my post that for quite a few games at the start I was playing Mikoyan badly and dying early. Obviously I was doing something very wrong. I changed the way I was playing the ship and I was no longer dying and having crappy games. So I went from doing it wrong to doing it right. Every ship is not the same and requires changes to its playstyle to get the most out of it.

Same goes for torps. How many players with these 4km torps on Russian DDs or cruisers do you see doing completely stupid things just so they can use their short range torps? They almost always end up dying and missing the torps due to it being so easy to tell that they were trying to get torps away. So some games you don't even get to use them as the situation never allowed it.

[SEARN]
891 posts
14,334 battles
6 hours ago, sfcgx3 said:

I thought that several of us saying that Mikoyan is a strong ship at T5 would have been a clear sign that it would be stupidly OP at T4.

The ship speed and agility not to mention the shell accuracy and pen, Mikoyan would eat T4 alive.

Edited by HobartAWD