You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
PNS_Shamsheer

Fun and Engaging ranked season.

20 comments in this topic

[NS-S]
19 posts
9,339 battles

broken as always.

so, here is what is wrong about this ranked season(or with ranked in general)

WOWS is portrayed as being a "thinking mans action game" with emphasis on teamplay. Now how the hell can you expect teamplay in a gamemode where you have to compete with other players to save yourself.

what has been happning in this ranked season is that one of the teammates yolos in, dies, and all of the team mates (including me ) go; @#!/ it, screw all of my team mates, i am going to save my star only, and what ends up happening is that the team collpses in 5-7 minutes, every one loses a star, all of us have to play 100s of games to get a decent amount of steel, and WG employees see the spread sheet and say " wow, people enjoy playing ranked, why else would anyone play 100s of battles in the same ship in the same mode ?"

at this point i ask the question: where is the fun part in all this ?

what is fun in starting a day at rank 9 and endind it at rank 11 with no star ?

and more importantly : why is there no irrevocible rank after rank 12 ?

[SMOKE]
4,108 posts
22,880 battles

Well well ... welcome to the so call competitive gaming mode, where right from start I see BB and Cruiser rushing to the back , and if I end up with an early cap they rush there and stay there , and take every effort to actively avoid fighting ... or I see all the Cruiser lemming only 1 Area and will not deny enemy cap , nor even support others doing so to other area ... or BB who would run at first sight of enemy even if the enemy is but one solo DD that's low on health ... and speaking of such , they all made sure the enemy Radar stay alive and that they will not care ... and then they keep commanding others to go cap, go fight the front when they themselves keep running back ... so they can be sure to had their farming and saving a star 

This is RANKED ..

• Funny 1

[KAMI]
791 posts
9,635 battles
1 hour ago, PNS_Shamsheer said:

(including me ) go; @#!/ it, screw all of my team mates

Also its not intended for everyone to be able to rank out, there is meant to be a skill element to it.

Its interesting how people hate ranked because it has exclusive rewards in it.

Edited by Verytis
  • Cool 5

[NS-S]
19 posts
9,339 battles
12 minutes ago, Verytis said:

What else do you expect from me ? Ranked rewards selfish gameplay.

• Cool 1

[KAMI]
791 posts
9,635 battles
4 minutes ago, PNS_Shamsheer said:

What else do you expect from me ? Ranked rewards selfish gameplay.

Play for the team as best you can, as long as the match has some chance of being recovered.

The average ranked players still play better than the average random players...unless you're below rank 10.

Having only 7 ships means each ship is more important and you have higher ability to swing matches.

• Cool 4

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,634 posts
14,423 battles
15 hours ago, Mechfori said:

the so call competitive gaming mode

I certainly see what you're saying, but it is definitely a competitive game mode.  The OP's complaints are indicative of this - if you can't consistently carry your teams to victory, you will struggle.  You need to perform at an above average level to progress, and the better you perform the faster you will progress.  There is obviously more to it than that, but this is the core of the mode.

In the end, the majority of people are not capable of ranking out, or will take so many battles to rank out that it becomes an untenable proposition.  The way this feels for those people is that they seem to constantly have potato team mates and lose, never seeming to advance.  Everyone has those team mates of course, but some are able to carry them to wins more than the average players, and are also more capable of saving their star, and thus they move up the ranks.  This is why the mode is competitive, even though it doesn't feel like it in a classical sense.

I think the ranked system could do with a complete overhaul of course - I'd like to see a rating system rather than a star system (Warcraft arenas have a better system imo), but they seem reluctant to change it.

• Cool 2

[LOTS]
44 posts
18,492 battles
2 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

I certainly see what you're saying, but it is definitely a competitive game mode.  The OP's complaints are indicative of this - if you can't consistently carry your teams to victory, you will struggle.  You need to perform at an above average level to progress, and the better you perform the faster you will progress.  There is obviously more to it than that, but this is the core of the mode.

In the end, the majority of people are not capable of ranking out, or will take so many battles to rank out that it becomes an untenable proposition.  The way this feels for those people is that they seem to constantly have potato team mates and lose, never seeming to advance.  Everyone has those team mates of course, but some are able to carry them to wins more than the average players, and are also more capable of saving their star, and thus they move up the ranks.  This is why the mode is competitive, even though it doesn't feel like it in a classical sense.

I think the ranked system could do with a complete overhaul of course - I'd like to see a rating system rather than a star system (Warcraft arenas have a better system imo), but they seem reluctant to change it.

Competitive in what?

Which team have more Sinop, Scharnhorst, Belfast, Atlanta, Z39 and Haida.

That is it.

• Funny 3

[NEFU]
14 posts
904 battles
1 hour ago, Entropy_Sky said:

Competitive in what?

Which team have more Sinop, Scharnhorst, Belfast, Atlanta, Z39 and Haida.

That is it.

In every Competitive Mode in Games you have an actual Meta of Tactics which are more likely to win than others.

You can swim with this Meta, try to counter it, just do your own thing and hope to win with map awareness and positioning and actual team play.

Its good that the six ships you mentioned are no guarantee for any win- even, if they are good indeed.

Jervis and King George - to mention two more silver ships which are quite ok at this tier in my opinion. 

• Cool 2

[LOTS]
44 posts
18,492 battles
10 hours ago, Kaesekuchen said:

In every Competitive Mode in Games you have an actual Meta of Tactics which are more likely to win than others.

You can swim with this Meta, try to counter it, just do your own thing and hope to win with map awareness and positioning and actual team play.

Its good that the six ships you mentioned are no guarantee for any win- even, if they are good indeed.

Jervis and King George - to mention two more silver ships which are quite ok at this tier in my opinion. 

Thanks for confirming what I just said.

But with politician's wording.

6,914 posts
11,532 battles
10 minutes ago, Entropy_Sky said:

Thanks for confirming what I just said.

But with politician's wording.

Yeah, it's not like if there are 2 teams have the exact same ships, the team with more skilled players still could easily lose to the less skilled team, right?

Edited by Paladinum

[LOTS]
44 posts
18,492 battles
10 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Yeah, it's not like if there are 2 teams have the exact same ships, the team with more skilled players still could easily lose to the less skilled team, right?

If you want to change the argument of ship to skill, fine.

In this case, pray to MM.

Its not like there isn't bot in Ranked.

[BLESS]
1,670 posts
16,191 battles

Ranked is challenging. It gets harder and harder the further you get. And this season there are no safety nets after Rank 12.

To rank out, you'll need to be the best of the best.  Once your win rate falls below 50% after Rank 12, you have no chance of progressing. To maintain a positive WR at the highest ranks, you'll need every ounce of skill and concentration and perseverance you have in you.

And considering you have fewer than 5000 games to your name, @PNS_Shamsheer , I very much doubt you could do it.

I know I can't. I'm at Rank 10 currently, figure on challenging myself to get to 5. 

6,914 posts
11,532 battles
12 hours ago, Entropy_Sky said:

Competitive in what?

In the highest ranks, the most competitive ships will be the most used. But when that happens,the team has more skilled players will win against less skilled players and bots.

Pretty sure higher the ranks, the more skilled the players need to be. Not MM or whatever.

You were the one who came in and said "Which team have more Sinop, Scharnhorst, Belfast, Atlanta, Z39 and Haida.", basically start the "ship not skill" argument, then said that I changed it back "ship to skill", which is the original topic.

• Cool 2

[BLESS]
1,670 posts
16,191 battles
1 minute ago, Paladinum said:

Pretty sure higher the ranks, the more skilled the players need to be. Not MM or whatever.

It's statistical certainty. It always is, but it's much more clear in Ranked than in Randoms because the skill level of everyone in the match is pre-graded.

Everyone else is getting better the higher the rank you get. Eventually you'll get to a point where the average skill in the match exceeds yours, at which point you are the liability and your team will start to lose more often than they win. That's your maximum achievable rank. Within a small variation for statistical fluctuation, it depends on your skill and nothing else.

[LOTS]
44 posts
18,492 battles
1 hour ago, Paladinum said:

In the highest ranks, the most competitive ships will be the most used. But when that happens,the team has more skilled players will win against less skilled players and bots.

You were the one who came in and said "Which team have more Sinop, Scharnhorst, Belfast, Atlanta, Z39 and Haida.", basically start the "ship not skill" argument, then said that I changed it back "ship to skill", which is the original topic.

Well, now you going back from skills to ships.

You cant even keep your argument straight.

Pick ONE.

6,914 posts
11,532 battles
7 minutes ago, Entropy_Sky said:

Well, now you going back from skills to ships.

You cant even keep your argument straight.

Pick ONE.

I'm following you, so...

209 posts
12,533 battles

Very challenging, yep.

As the season progresses, the required skill level will most likely lower as the more skilled players rank out, declining for ALL ships. Thus, it may not necessarily mean more wins, but it may mean you will get more 1st places, which is where the more reasonably skilled players progress.

Probably also good to set some ground rules such as take a break if you lose 5 out of the last six games, or even win that many.

I also noted as you get further in rank, the prevelance of team nazis increases. In one match, I didn't follow "orders" barked at me from the start and synced-in clanmates 1&2 spent the whole match typing an expletive laden tirade against me. How am I supposed to know what skill level these clowns are? Are they god-tier or wanna-bes? As it was, it was very late and it wasn't a particularly stellar match performance, but I didn't feel particularly inspired to help these a-holes to a star (unfortunate for the other normal team mates). But this is to be expected when WoW becomes all consuming frustration levels peak after bouncing up and down all day between ranks.

Had some really fun matches though, with teams operating together as one. 

Edited by scottme
add

[SMOKE]
4,108 posts
22,880 battles

The fundermentals behind the frustration is real . Yes in sort it kind of reflecting player skill but no one can deny that even good play and skill play cannot save you from losing if the team end up with some camper or some who would not team play and unfortunately there are many and you can do nothing about it so your skill play do not translate to victory despite the fact that you had done your part and might be even doing that great.

As a DD main I feel more of this kind of pain and that is why I got to Rank 10 and had the flag then I would simply not play anymore ... Why should I stick my neck out and be the fire bait so these guys can casually snipe and farm ... 

I simply do not see many positive team play from most of the Cruiser and BB players - in short they do not fight the front they just want others to ; and they will only push out yet when absolute tactical superiority is established and guess whose being asked and going to made that happen 

Its happening all the time in Random it jusy happen that when playing Ranked there are even more incentive for players to play selfish instead of playing the play

Does the rank reflect actual competetiveness ; well only partially so at best

Edited by Mechfori

[NEFU]
14 posts
904 battles

Of Course ranked is more frustrating, 

Banzai - selfish - players - which just dont even try to make team play work... - just makes the experience disappointing.

but thats the same as in random for me - a close game is much more okay to loose than a game, where 2 commanders direct suicide themself ^^'

[AN-DO]
424 posts
15,154 battles

I had never being insulted like this ranked when to be team up with a bunch of toxic, bot brainded teammate, 90% of the match is losing from beginning with succide bot and don't know what to do one.

STAY OUT OF THIS RANKED SEASON, THIS IS SUFFERRING....