DanLBob

Royal Naval Ensign and Union flag

15 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
73 posts
284 battles

So I see the HMS Warspite is going to be flying the Royal Navy Ensign in the game. I would like to protest at the use of this symbol of the power British Imperialism which has meant oppression and exploitation for people from one end of the world to the other for hundreds of years. 

Dan

Alpha Tester
185 posts
2,273 battles

Ah yes, but they "won" the war and get to write the "correct" version of history - and wield the airbrush.

Beta Tester
172 posts
58 battles

Not sure if sarcasm  (*cough* the rising sun flag *cough*) or actually serious.

Edited by Kempf

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

is this a joke?

Ofc it's a joke, it's pointing out WG's double standard with regards to the flags (the case for not having the Royal Navy Ensign in the game is just as strong as not having the Rising Sun in the game). Though it shouldn't really surprise anyone, WG did put quotes from Stalin into wot as purchasable inscriptions on Russian tanks.

Beta Tester
146 posts
349 battles

Reminds me of Monty Python:

"The British? What have the British ever given us?"

We gave you America. 

I wonder what they will do with the Kriegsmarine when they get added though. 

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Ofc it's a joke, it's pointing out WG's double standard with regards to the flags (the case for not having the Royal Navy Ensign in the game is just as strong as not having the Rising Sun in the game). Though it shouldn't really surprise anyone, WG did put quotes from Stalin into wot as purchasable inscriptions on Russian tanks.

Personally I find that a stretch.

No argument about Stalin, however.

Beta Tester
2 posts
1,455 battles

Reminds me of Monty Python:

"The British? What have the British ever given us?"

And now, something completely different.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

I have to say that I'm quite offended by any kind of nationalistic flag.

Therefore I propose that all governments unite their countries under one flag.

What could possibly go wrong? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

alx5iAq.gif

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

No double standards. But mea culpa,  the reason why the Rising Sun flag has been removed and is deemed not allowed on the forums or in any other WG communications media, has been explained. Appearently there are people who has so little empathy for the emotional state of others and the very valid reasons of the issue. and instead use it  for making fun of the issue, and for their usual WG bashing. This shows more about them, than it does about WG, IMNSHO.

So let me once more refer you to a post where it has been explained why the Rising Sun emblem is removed, and also quote it here :

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/1286-japanese-ships-naval-flag/page__view__findpost__p__12145

The reason the Rising Sun pennant is not used in the game, dispite it being the current national pennant for the JSDF, as well as being the historical correct pennant for the IJN vessels of the period the game covers, is due to the emotional responses it can provoke in some of the countries, due to atrocities commited against civilians by the imperial japanese army prior and during WW2.

A mod has allready been made by me, and is available for the Alpha testers, and will be ready upon open beta/release for the general public.

It is not due to the same reason as nazi symbols are disallowed, but solely out of same respect towards those nations where such emotional response happens, which the present day JSDF also shows, during joint military exercises in ASEATO regi, and during naval visits in ports of those countries.

Nazi related symbols are disallowed, since they are illegal in several countries, including Germany. 

Any attempts on the forums to make it into an issue, from either side will be frowned upon harshly.

/AALG

And this thread has run its course, since I am frowning now. 

Thread locked, key thrown in the Marianas trench.

/AALG

Moderation team, WoWS Asia