You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
shankman

Carrier Tips and hints

11 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
38 posts
5,201 battles

Hi all thought i would start this as i cant seem to find much on how to play the carrier . I as yet have only played two games in one and cant for the life of me work out how to control anything . end up just randomly clicking shit until shit happens and the dont know how i did it . If anyone wants to assist us carrier noobs ( i know you feel like you are giving away your secrets ) it would be greatly appreciated .

I am not even sure of the controls as half ov mine are blank in settings and its on default .

all the other ships are sort of self explanatory but the carrier sigh I cant seem to work it out . cheers for any assistance guys

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Dive Bomber most effective attack position is from ship front or back

While Torpedo Bomber most effective attack position is from the side of the ship

When using bomber, try keep it away from enemy Fighter and barage

Beta Tester
146 posts
312 battles

Learn to do an anvil attack.

That is attack a ship with torpedo bombers from both sides. Supposedly you need a lot of coordination to do this, if you can though there is no way the enemy will be able to dodge the torpedoes because he will have torpedoes heading for him which ever way he turns. 

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Tips from a non-carrier player who has to deal with squadrons frequently.

General tips

1. Manual drop with alt. This applies to both DBs and TBs, but aren't very useful on DBs. They, however, should be used almost all the time on TBs as the tighter spread can (and will) instantly kill ships.

2. Take note of enemy cruiser locations. They can do a number on your squadrons and kill planes before they even reach their target, or while they're flying back.

3. Try to avoid being lazy and take a straight-line path to targets and back: this exposes your general location to the enemy team, which means you might see destroyers sneaking in to kill you.

4. MAP AWARENESS: your fighter squadrons aren't just for shooting down enemy planes, then can be used to scout the map as well. As you have a top-down view by default, you have the best view of the battlefield and should help your team by pointing out nearly-dead ships, or spotting where enemy forces are. That means you'll be the first to know when a flank breaks down, so get your butt away from there.

5. Don't just park in one spot: by the time you spot a destroyer or cruiser coming in, it'll be too late to run. 

6. Don't sit in a corner of the map, that makes your turnaround time for airstrikes be the longest possible. Ideally, you'll want to be closer to your battleship line, but still out of range of enemy guns. That way, there are units that can help you if a destroyer or cruiser breaks through and goes carrier hunting.

Attacking enemies

1. As mentioned above, DBs attack best from forward or behind a ship, TBs attack best from the sides. Plan accordingly.

2. Don't discount the DB's low damage - they can frequently set fires. What you want to do is hit a ship with DBs first, as most players will reflexively hit the repair button to extinguish the fires. Then, when your TBs come in, your target will be on cooldown and suffering the effects of flooding for much, much longer.

3. If there's an enemy capping your base, hit it with DBs to reset the timer. DBs are harder to shoot down, and are harder to evade than TBs.

4. Keep an eye on the enemy ship's speed. If they seem to be slowing down, adjust your manual attacks accordingly. Failing to do so can result in you seeing 12 torpedoes pass by harmlessly in front of your target.

5. Your planes are much more maneuverable than enemy ships. Circle around to reach the optimum attacking position. When hitting battleships with TBs, it REALLY helps to circle so you're on the other side of where their main guns are pointed. If they're focusing on evasion, they won't be able to fire at your team. If they're too focused on shooting, they might not notice torpedoes until too late. Two TB squadrons can mission-kill, if not outright kill a BB. Use the manual drop straight to their sides.

6. When attacking destroyers with TBs, don't bother manual dropping: they can see it coming from a mile away and turn to evade accordingly, Instead, hit it with two squadrons coming in at 30-40 degree angles from its bow, using the normal auto-drop spread. This is a textbook anvil attack and produces a set of criss-crossing torpedo tracks. Most destroyers will die to a single torpedo hit, very rarely two, and the anvil attack gives you the maximum chance of landing that one hit.

7. Cruisers, while intimidating, are still extremely vulnerable to torpedoes, but you also don't really want to use a manual drop on them as they can slam their engines in full reverse and evade much easier than battleships.. Try to tease them into using their barrage ability early with fighters or dive bombers, then wait around 45 seconds before sending in your torpedo bombers. While sending two squadrons is ideal, you only need to land about 2-4 torpedo hits to kill a cruiser, and choose between a spread or an anvil attack to maximize your hits.

8. Don't be afraid to suddenly retarget in the middle of an attack. If you see a ship hit ground, divert attacks to it. If you see a ship near land/passing through a strait and cannot maneuver as well, go for it. Retarget from a battleship to that pesky cruiser next to it that thinks you're going for the battleship and thus hasn't taken any evasive maneuvers whatsoever. Send your dive bombers after a target that has just used its repair, maybe your teammates set him on fire and you see it extinguished immediately, which means any subsequent attack by you that causes fires/flooding is going to be REALLY painful. Make attacks of opportunity whenever possible.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Oh another one! With chance you can create more than one fire on the ship using dive bomber

Allow you to do multiply source of DPS that more painful than flooding

Edited by Harpoon01

Beta Tester
38 posts
5,201 battles

how do you combine two torp sqads into one unit , tried draggin box around them but it wont work for me ? getting better at this tho , thanks heaps guys

Beta Tester
146 posts
312 battles

how do you combine two torp sqads into one unit , tried draggin box around them but it wont work for me ? getting better at this tho , thanks heaps guys

You can't. 

What they probably meant was try to command the two as thought they are one unit. If you play RTS games you can be very familiar with commanding multiple units at the same time, the same case with CVs in WoWS. You can order your two separate torpedo squadrons to move to one location and attack the same target at the same time as though they were one unit.

Beta Tester
38 posts
5,201 battles

once again thanks for tips guys learning the art slowly now , alot more to it than it seems , trying to keep track of things .

cheers all Carrier Noob shankman