You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
PeterMoe1963

What is it with Newport?

24 comments in this topic

[NFB]
1,337 posts
14,468 battles

This time the operation Newport seems impossible to win, at least with random teammates.

Below is the team table from a match where I got kicked out a few minutes into the match. When I was able to log in I was in the middle of the red ships with secondaries blazing away. I did what I could before I died.

Now here is the punch line, I was the third-best player on the team.

image.png.f0896dc364ee7d621c8c509b50b94fa1.png

Now I'm by no means a good player, but it looks like there enough many noobs in T6 ships trying to play the op and they spoil the fun for everyone... really frustrating.

Edited by PeterMoe1963

[NFB]
1,337 posts
14,468 battles

This one was one of those rare wins:

image.png.aa1a1616b67e48362c21651b05f9371f.png

The two DD's were useless, which is also one of the ongoing themes.

[-ISO-]
1,062 posts
6,286 battles

Back then, a lot of veterans played this mode with a lot of interest. But as time goes by, it's getting boring. More and more newer players are playing this praticular Operation carelessly and WG's lack of attentions toward scenarios becomes apparent. You must reduce the difficulty of this Scenario WG!

• Cool 1

[TLS]
4,181 posts
20,354 battles

Bad random habits carrying over into ops. No risk taking. No map analysis. No enemy wave analysis. Only sit back and snipe.

That is why we veterans call this snipers of newport. And this is as easy as newport has ever been. Anyone remember the first version? THAT was difficult.

• Cool 3

[-ISO-]
1,062 posts
6,286 battles
22 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Anyone remember the first version? THAT was difficult.

It was more challenging back then. But veterans were more abundant. If the CV rework wasn't a thing and WG didn't change Newport, it will be impossible to win in random teams.

[TLS]
4,181 posts
20,354 battles

I think we were all n00bs at ops at the time. The difference is we bothered to learn and adapt.

• Cool 2

[NFB]
1,337 posts
14,468 battles

This was an interesting one; the two DD's survived to the end and won! Also, the carrier was good.

image.png.8c4dd0bc827ad7ef2271da94141d732c.png

Only 2 stars, but a rare win.

Watching how these 2 DD's cleaned up the last 5 or 6 red ships was quite fun.

That PEF was painful to watch. He got himself into some spot in open water and fired along. No surprise: got hit by torps repeatedly and died.

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
1,130 posts
7,719 battles

I find Farragut and Gaede are the 2 best ships for that op...really hard not to finish in the top 2 with them.

[TLS]
4,181 posts
20,354 battles

Yes? Did someone summon the crazy farragut driver who spends 90% of the match OUTSIDE the defence perimeter?

I am also that Izmail driver that turns a horrible foray into a glorious last stand after getting caught pants down by the 3rd wave and burnt badly yet abused island cover to get into position to demonstrate to the Myoko soviet biaz and cripple the konig before falling.

[NFB]
1,337 posts
14,468 battles
On 4/20/2020 at 12:40 PM, BigWaveSurfer said:

I find Farragut and Gaede are the 2 best ships for that op...really hard not to finish in the top 2 with them.

As part of a good team, maybe. The problem is that for a Farragut to bring down a BB with guns takes a long time. And for torps, well, need to get close.

I find in a potatoe team, a BB works best because you can survive under fire. German BB's are good for the end of the OP, because secondaries fill the gap between main gun salvos. But German BB's are frustrating when you try to hit something at 10+km.

[NFB]
1,337 posts
14,468 battles

But that said, DD seems to be good, see below. 

image.png.b6217afbc0b6f03a60a2a706fb3469b6.png 

Generally, though, you see the DDs at the bottom of the table, and they hardly ever live to the end.

The top Vasteras survived to the end and was on top of the team table, by a slim margin. Not bad for a DD without smoke.

His achievement was "Assistant" so he must have used his guns, not only torps.

This was a good team, overall. I find that when it is a potato team, I'm in the team table top two or three. When the team is good, I'm somewhere in the middle.

[NFB]
1,337 posts
14,468 battles

And interestingly enough, another game with a DD at the top:

image.png.87b91088967eb0216e0362980fba0a50.png

And this Yubari bounced several of my shells.

image.png.d30575126bbc2a2f71bfdf72bcb0af43.png

[151ST]
2,606 posts
10,419 battles
On 4/20/2020 at 2:06 AM, dejiko_nyo said:

I think we were all n00bs at ops at the time. The difference is we bothered to learn and adapt.

The difference was RTS CVs, particularly Ryujo Strike...

I hated AS/spotting meta, but man did my Ryujo Strike get a workout in Ops...

[NFB]
1,337 posts
14,468 battles
11 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

The difference was RTS CVs, particularly Ryujo Strike...

I hated AS/spotting meta, but man did my Ryujo Strike get a workout in Ops...

What?

The issue at the moment is that most teams of random players have trouble winning. 

Most CV players in Ops are useless and part of the problem, rather than the solution. 

[LBAS]
4,893 posts
11,005 battles
19 minutes ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

What?

The issue at the moment is that most teams of random players have trouble winning. 

Most CV players in Ops are useless and part of the problem, rather than the solution. 

They not like to control the plane they want to ctrl+click alt+click that's make more effective

Edited by THAI_THIEF

[151ST]
2,606 posts
10,419 battles
43 minutes ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

What?

Newport used to be harder but we completed it easy enough. I was arguing another contributing factor was Ryujo Strike (RTS) because it could do a lot of heavy lifting.

So even if you had bad players before, having a CV that can nuke certain problem ships at key moments made the whole thing far more clinical.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
2,834 posts
12,634 battles
58 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

Newport used to be harder but we completed it easy enough. I was arguing another contributing factor was Ryujo Strike (RTS) because it could do a lot of heavy lifting.

So even if you had bad players before, having a CV that can nuke certain problem ships at key moments made the whole thing far more clinical.

Ops in the days after they removed bot CVs from ops, but before the CV rework, were some of the easiest. A total farm fest for 122 Ryujo.

• Cool 2

6 posts
667 battles

ok.. whats with the newport ops now.. enemy ships are not rushing the port.. but rather they are reversing halfway???

[NHL]
39 posts
15 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

What?

well, i think the useless of cv is not due to players, but the poor AI.

normally the npcs have a fixed route and surface ships can predict their position and just shot the chicken 

but if Cv drops trops, then the npc will change their route to avoid get hit, then other npcs will change or stop to avoid ram, then a total mess.

that means, the long-range trops that surface ships drops, will all miss, and most of the shells fired already will miss or jump too, and also poor shooting angle..

so CV better use rocket or bombs, but that means CV players will lose his own incomes, well some CV players lost their planes to fast that they have to use trops at the end..

anyway, just another case that CV is badly balanced...  

[NFB]
1,337 posts
14,468 battles
5 hours ago, NHLWXY said:

well, i think the useless of cv is not due to players, but the poor AI.

normally the npcs have a fixed route and surface ships can predict their position and just shot the chicken 

but if Cv drops trops, then the npc will change their route to avoid get hit, then other npcs will change or stop to avoid ram, then a total mess.

that means, the long-range trops that surface ships drops, will all miss, and most of the shells fired already will miss or jump too, and also poor shooting angle..

so CV better use rocket or bombs, but that means CV players will lose his own incomes, well some CV players lost their planes to fast that they have to use trops at the end..

anyway, just another case that CV is badly balanced...  

In other ops, yes. Most bb's in Newport will only turn for torps, and torps are more often from cv's than anything else. If anything, other players will miss because of cv's torps.

[NFB]
1,337 posts
14,468 battles
7 hours ago, MadhatterPH said:

ok.. whats with the newport ops now.. enemy ships are not rushing the port.. but rather they are reversing halfway???

You mean single ships? I've seen that happen.

But the waves generally stay their course.

[NFB]
1,337 posts
14,468 battles
20 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

Well, you say "we". Thats a division, i guess?

That doesn't change the fact that for teams of random players there can be long strings of losses.

Even in a random team, with a few good players, winning is not hard. But were do you get a good team, when you need one?😎

[151ST]
2,606 posts
10,419 battles
27 minutes ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Well, you say "we". Thats a division, i guess?

That doesn't change the fact that for teams of random players there can be long strings of losses.

Even in a random team, with a few good players, winning is not hard. But were do you get a good team, when you need one?😎

Primarily for me, my clan... At worst they'll be a drunken mess of fun...

Second stop is Social Wolves discord... Easier to get some Ops done at odd times. Good bunch of folks!

Sadly I'm a bit over Ops these days, most of the time I do them with my clan.

Edited by S4pp3R

[NFB]
1,337 posts
14,468 battles
2 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

Primarily for me, my clan... At worst they'll be a drunken mess of fun...

Second stop is Social Wolves discord... Easier to get some Ops done at odd times. Good bunch of folks!

Sadly I'm a bit over Ops these days, most of the time I do them with my clan.

Thats all fair enough, nobody doubts you can win ops with a clan/team. Even two or three good players can clean up the bots easily. 

How Newport went, im over this op. At this stage im playing more random, because ops got too frustrating. A while back i stopped playing random, because that started to annoy me.

Strange motivation to pick a game mode.

• Cool 1