Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
sfcgx3

Roon is weak and boring to play

20 comments in this topic

[KMS-A]
291 posts
6,151 battles

low fire power with 1 turret at the front, and 1 set of torps. The only way to play is to long range spam HE. 

I just think it's a big downside in German CA line. Maybe I should FXP it?

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,582 posts
26,566 battles
12 minutes ago, sfcgx3 said:

low fire power with 1 turret at the front, and 1 set of torps. The only way to play is to long range spam HE. 

I just think it's a big downside in German CA line. Maybe I should FXP it?

it's one of the strongest ships at T9 tier for tier, and it's the best ship for Asia meta, wdym

• Cool 1

[AN-DO]
676 posts
9,956 battles

I loved Roon, and I played it as a brawler! - back when you still could, barely touched it since but have fond memories. As drakon said its a solid boat, if you play it from mid-long range you'll do really well.

[KMS-A]
291 posts
6,151 battles
3 minutes ago, CV_NMSL said:

it's one of the strongest ships at T9 tier for tier, and it's the best ship for Asia meta, wdym

Seriously? I don't think it's popularn given what i see in random. Don't think it's popularn in competitive either.

The issue is:

- you have to give big angles to fire all guns

- only has 1 turret at the front if head on brawling, worse than hipper

- 27mm every wher so eat random citadels from all BBs

- 1 torp which is another downgrade from Hipper.

- range is so so for a spammer. Should i use range module?

[KAMI]
1,547 posts
12,769 battles

true fact... roon is use for long range engagement and best in kiting mode given to gun layout

Edited by Gummiheng
  • Cool 2

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
638 posts
3,274 battles

Roon is basically a return to Nurnberg's playstyle, albeit better in every terms.

[AUS-]
208 posts
9,514 battles

git gut, try to use harass tactic with this ship, over 100k dame is not too hard, AND Ithink it's a  most easy  cruser ship to get dreadnou achivement  

image.png.5e1d04939b7f2c7c1e29d6bd0c9ae964.png

Edited by TsunamiShenShi
  • Cool 1

[MRI]
3,610 posts
15,502 battles

Roon excels in long range kiting because of the gun layout.

It works best by going to the weak flank and letting the enemy push through while you kite them and farm damage.

• Cool 1

[KMS-A]
291 posts
6,151 battles

100k games are quit common to me. Have been grinding buffalo, Neptune, Donskoi, mogami, Amalfi, CM a lot and  I'm just saying relative to other high tier cruisers I enjoy the least roon's gameplay. And also relative to hipper I found Roon to be much less versatile. I actually quite like Hipper and did very well in 1v1 ranked in Hipper. Think Roon is  a worse Hipper if the latter were to be put in T9. Hope Hindenburg on the other end is good.

[-ISO-]
1,062 posts
6,286 battles
2 hours ago, sfcgx3 said:

100k games are quit common to me. Have been grinding buffalo, Neptune, Donskoi, mogami, Amalfi, CM a lot and  I'm just saying relative to other high tier cruisers I enjoy the least roon's gameplay.

Roon is bad? Try compare her with Seattle.

• Cool 3

4,886 posts
8,860 battles
46 minutes ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

Or Ibuki.

*run*

Edited by Paladinum

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,582 posts
26,566 battles
8 hours ago, sfcgx3 said:

Seriously? I don't think it's popularn given what i see in random. Don't think it's popularn in competitive either.

The issue is:

- you have to give big angles to fire all guns

- only has 1 turret at the front if head on brawling, worse than hipper

- 27mm every wher so eat random citadels from all BBs

- 1 torp which is another downgrade from Hipper.

- range is so so for a spammer. Should i use range module?

you only give "big angles" when you go forward, kite

1 gun in the front? kite

27mm isn't a issue when literally everything else is 27mm or below, it has the best cruiser armor scheme for citadel protection at T9 outside of the prems, abuse your turtleback and flat side plate armor's insane angles, kite

1 torp? don't get into torping ranges, if you get to torp someone then either you fucked up or he fucked up, don't yolo, kite

you don't need range mod, 17.8km is much more than enough even when pushing, kite

all in all, you are using the ship wrong, readjust your playstyle a bit. you need to adapt to the ship since it sure as heck isn't going to change it's stats for you

Edited by CV_NMSL
  • Cool 3

[SEARN]
[SEARN]
Beta Tester
76 posts
16,215 battles

Basically the playstyle of the ship isn't just for you.

[JUNK]
1,115 posts
20,612 battles

its not popular because most of players already grind past to hinden, strong ship at t9 the same goes for donskoi

both are much much better than drake

[AUS-]
208 posts
9,514 battles

I don't see any strong point of Hipper, when play it, it feel worst than chapavel at gun and moving, same at being citadel and die in 1-2 hit. but with roon or hinderburt they got strong things with them and they are good at that, each ship has a different tactic.

[TLS]
4,211 posts
20,361 battles
15 hours ago, Paladinum said:

Or Ibuki.

*run*

There is nothing wrong with Ibuki. I actually found it okay and ground Zao completely using it. Just abuse your concealment, speed and islands and... kite and ambush.

[KAMI]
453 posts
5,990 battles

Hipper has a 30mm citadel, which gets overmatched by 457mm guns so it can get cit from a lot of angles if it faces higher tiers, unlike Roon and Hinden with 50mm cit.

[CLAY]
2,840 posts
12,642 battles

I’ve just finished grinding Roon.

Its an interesting ship, works well in the kiting meta, but does limit your options when doing anything else, such as pushing.

That said, Roon is tanky enough to play front line support when you have a bit of island cover (against things that are not BBs or ships with gigantic guns anyway) and the hydro gives you that edge on DDs.

You can get impressive damage numbers on her, but usually your flank has to fall before that happens.

I’ve always had difficulty in that initial, closing to range, then moving into flanking position, especially when there are no DDs on my flank. Though I suppose I’ve had the same problem with other ships.

Of course, I’m by no means a great player, so I could just be bad at mastering her play style.

Beta Tester
2,410 posts
7,238 battles
On 4/19/2020 at 6:12 PM, mr_glitchy_R said:

tbh seatle is not that bad.  i have lots of good game with her unlike ibuki.

i have ambushed dd and RN cl with her radar+hydro and push caps. meanwhile ibuki is forced to play long range gunner with her slow shell speed.

ibuki is so boring to play,. you have one play style and that is long range gunnery.  she's so squishy if bb looks you in the wrong way, ibuki will get deleted or get crippled.

i rather play seatle whole day over playing ibuki for 10 game straight.

tbh if they fix seattle bad turret placement, make her fire all of her guns without giving much broadside, she can easily be one of top tier  IX CL.

Sign in to follow this