You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HANNEGAN

Too many torpedoes.

47 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
8 posts
9,050 battles

Hi,

Firstly want to say..AWESOME  game...I know most would say dodge and weave torps or keep an eye out for them ect but with Destroyers, Cruisers and planes all loaded with deadly torps it detracts from the game flow a bit ....rather than getting into a fun artil duel I find myself in high view mostly playing dodge the fish in the water. Yeah they're a major part of the naval warfare ( and the game ) but maybe a 15% decrease would be beneficial.... extend the reloading time maybe?. Just a thought anyhoo :)

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

T_T DD already having hard time to get you torped, you wanna make us DDs cry?

Increase the cooldown of the torpedoes won't fix the problem, in fact

Torpedo Warfare is the most noticeable skill in this game (spam torpedoes from 10 to 15km away won't help or rarely hit any)

the only thing that makes you get torp is your own fault for going straight in the line or just not good enough to notice there is ship torping nearby

Torpedoes can be spotted by Allied Ship or Allied Planes from very far away (40% (+20% with captain skill) acquisition time for torpedoes)

it about 4 times easier to detect torpedoes than when it was Weekend test and alpha test

For planes, WHAT's your problem, that's the only source of REAL damage that CV can deal instead of Dive bomber whose deal about 2000 to 0 damage with Fire on the deck

and they still need to get back to their mothership to rearm for about 15-40 seconds plus the rearming itself

torpedo bomber deal less damage too than torpedoes

a full fan of torpedoes can hardly sink a battleship in the same tier 

Cruiser will rarely use their torpedoes since it's low range and the ship can be detected from quite far plus easier to get shot down for its size

if you in a battleship and still get torped by cruiser (except Kitakami), Shame on you

Edited by Harpoon01

Beta Tester
146 posts
352 battles

Torpedoes force people to move and maneuver their ships thus making the game more dynamic, and as people learn they may move away from border camping because being near a border is not going to help evading torpedoes. Torpedoes are fine as they are. 

Beta Tester
8 posts
9,050 battles

Thanks for the insights and replies. In truth only been at the game two weeks so maybe I'm still blundering into a few elephant traps....the teamwork element isn't jelling yet which possibly makes the situation worse when out in battleships more noticeably ...where one would hope there'd be screening cover you find a cruiser hiding behind an island for the entire battle and a destroyer heading for a distant corner well behind the lines lol. I will have to be less gung ho ..:D

Alpha Tester
90 posts
694 battles

DD's are already under powered mate. Our torpedoes get spotted 3 to 4k's out if their is a plane as soon as they are launched they are detected. They even have a stupid triangle above they as they cruise through water. Before in alpha they would only be detected when its too late. On top of that we have a terrible smoke screen cool down and no armor. Please try to use DD's before asking to have the nerfed. 

CVs and DD's are the most unbalanced ships in game one needing a buff the other needing a nerf. Play the game more you find a way around the torpedo problem and if you use the DD's specially the american ones you will understand how hard it is for us got get hits.

Beta Tester
38 posts
5,201 battles

agreed taking away torps would end  up in static battles side to side at 10 k apart . torps keep you moving , If you are running side on too often then say hello to my little fishy friends . If you are getting torped in BB then you are not using a BB as intended, get further away and go long range that whats they for . they are slow and heavy but ideal targets at close range for torps

so far loving the game keep up the good work ,

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

Reducing the game to be primarily about artillery duels is dumbing the game down. Torps add another level of complexity which will allow the better players to shine and thus make the game more challenging.

Beta Tester
8 posts
9,050 battles

agreed taking away torps would end  up in static battles side to side at 10 k apart . torps keep you moving , If you are running side on too often then say hello to my little fishy friends . If you are getting torped in BB then you are not using a BB as intended, get further away and go long range that whats they for . they are slow and heavy but ideal targets at close range for torps

so far loving the game keep up the good work ,

Well nobody actually said take them away....I suggested a 15% reload timer decrease but since learning a few valuable  ' know how ' tactics from more experienced players than I, I am very happy with their advice.....after all it's all a learning curve. 
Edited by HANNEGAN

68 posts
106 battles

WG change game mechanic depend on %, if number of ships sunk by torpedo too much than AP, second gun, HE, ramming, floor, fire they will fix, a topic not do much

Beta Tester
172 posts
58 battles

High-tier destroyers already have to deal with 1:30+ torp reload times. High detection distance, too.

I haven't seen much torpedo spam since tiers V-VI. (Excluding KTKMs, of course).

As mentioned above, ship-launched torps are easily avoidable by not sailing in a straight line and looking around for destroyers and choke points.

Super Tester
1,779 posts
341 battles

just shoot those torp with your main gun:trollface:

it should destroy them without any problem

or ram someone and let that someone eat the torps :trollface:

to that someone, you will be remembered~ o7

Beta Tester
545 posts
2,381 battles

DD's are already under powered mate. Our torpedoes get spotted 3 to 4k's out if their is a plane as soon as they are launched they are detected. They even have a stupid triangle above they as they cruise through water. Before in alpha they would only be detected when its too late. On top of that we have a terrible smoke screen cool down and no armor. Please try to use DD's before asking to have the nerfed. 

CVs and DD's are the most unbalanced ships in game one needing a buff the other needing a nerf. Play the game more you find a way around the torpedo problem and if you use the DD's specially the american ones you will understand how hard it is for us got get hits.

dd are not underpowered , they so easy to play its not funny ..... cv are not overpowered .we know your A DD player whos presious  dd got nerfed and are now crying cause you cant play on easy mode , suck it up and learn how to play .

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

dd are not underpowered , they so easy to play its not funny ..... cv are not overpowered .we know your A DD player whos presious  dd got nerfed and are now crying cause you cant play on easy mode , suck it up and learn how to play .

No offense, mate, but get up above tier 5 on destroyers before judging on whether destroyers are easy to play or not. Minekaze is completely different from how higher tier IJN destroyers play.

Beta Tester
545 posts
2,381 battles

No offense, mate, but get up above tier 5 on destroyers before judging on whether destroyers are easy to play or not. Minekaze is completely different from how higher tier IJN destroyers play.

i dont enjoy dd , plus it bad enough grinding cruisers battleships and aircraft carriers 

Beta Tester
60 posts
561 battles

Quoted for truth. :L

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

i dont enjoy dd , plus it bad enough grinding cruisers battleships and aircraft carriers 

Then I'll tell you. Tier 6 and up, IJN destroyers have their torpedo reloads measured in minutes, and from Mutsuki to Fubuki, they only have two mounts, reducing the number of spreads they can fire. This means you see a LOT less torpedo spreads around. And with higher tier carriers and their numerous squadrons, its a LOT harder to sneak a destroyer into attack position due to the detection coverage. Landing one torpedo hit in a spread, let alone a full spread of 3-6 hits, takes a lot of skill and planning, and several minutes of maneuvering. USN destroyers see a decreased emphasis on torpedoes, and an increased emphasis on guns, which makes it a lot harder for them to kill battleships at all, though they fare very well against other destroyers and occasionally cruisers (as long as its not the Cleveland or Mogami). Destroyer gameplay at the higher tiers is nowhere as easy as Minekaze's torpedo spamming.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

that or having the IJN cruiser torpedoes have their original max range to add more rage against the fish.

Alpha Tester
90 posts
694 battles

I think the problem here lies between the keyboard and the chair.

I think the problem here is you are too much of a arrogant [content removed] Mr. closed beta tester how about you get some high tier DD games under you belt. See if you have a hard enough time, well seeing as you have a big mouth i think you should be pretty good huh? Lmao what a joke. 

Everyone here knows that DD's have not been consistent since they were nerfed, most likely you would not know that because you were not here. Seems like you just bitter because you do not know how to dodge.

Do not think there is any problem.

shot-15.04.27_07.10.13-0082.jpgshot-15.04.27_07.10.32-0705.jpg

Insults, even when camouflaged with **'s are insults, and not something we want on this forum. Content removed, user sanctioned

/AALG

Moderation team, WoWS Asia

shot-15.04.27_07.10.13-0082.jpg

shot-15.04.27_07.10.32-0705.jpg

Edited by AALG
Insults removed, user sanctioned.

Alpha Tester
90 posts
694 battles

Lmao cruisers seem to be bang on with balancing at the moment maybe apart for the cleveland. Bb's seem ok Cv are op they can drop torps from planes at point blank range and can outrun DD's. I remember literally having to chase two of them across the map while being able to turn like shopping karts around my torpedoes. Its too early for you in this game to comment on such a thing mate. Get to tier 7 and 8 specially the mahan then we will see what you think about us not being under powered.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

Torpedo at its best before this closed Beta

Wonder why they nerf it too much

probably because there are already lots of players whining about it being over powered like the OP.

high tier dd players already have enough problems like high torpedo cooldown, high torpedo acquisition range, high ca player count and that infamous aim lead mods.