You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Riddyck

China bans online gaming

76 comments in this topic

[ASALT]
56 posts
21,427 battles

For those who havent kept up to date China is moving very rapidly to ban online gaming and lock down Chinese gamers behind the Great Firewall of China so they cant talk or play with us anymore 

https://dotesports.com/general/news/china-to-ban-international-online-gaming-and-limit-global-services

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3916690?fbclid=IwAR1oX9ZR6HRiNUFx5fluYnJHvFXP8WxI8wvSghVfBLEmQgcSCZ_4KgX1M2U

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[KAMI]
1,539 posts
12,735 battles

Now i can stop editing my locale config file to read china player

And probably reduce the number of botting in this game

Edited by Gummiheng
  • Cool 3

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
633 posts
3,243 battles

A sad development indeed. Their government is way paranoid and controlling, to the point they can be described as the real world version of Orwell's 1984. Even your freedom to play and have entertainment is stripped...

Back to 'game' related topic, i think this would impact Asia server in general if they go ahead and (somehow) banned WoWs. An even more, desolate, place. And considering previous events like Blizzard's Hong Kong thing, i fear Wargaming will bow towards their will, and make changes at the expense of other player, that is us.

Edited by Earl_of_Arland
  • Cool 3

[151ST]
81 posts
2,355 battles
12 minutes ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

A sad development indeed. Their government is way paranoid and controlling, to the point they can be described as the real world version of Orwell's 1984. Even your freedom to play and have entertainment is stripped...

Back to 'game' related topic, i think this would impact Asia server in general if they go ahead and (somehow) banned WoWs. An even more, desolate, place.

Most of the planet is going to "1984" unfortunately 😕

• Cool 1

[ASALT]
56 posts
21,427 battles
10 minutes ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

Back to 'game' related topic, i think this would impact Asia server in general if they go ahead and (somehow) banned WoWs. An even more, desolate, place.

well as we know the chinese server shut down a year or so ago which is what has been driving the player growth on teh ASIA server as players from other SEA countries fell out of the game. With this..... from reading the articles game developers will either need to have a chinese based server for Chinese players OR remove all chat, clan features and ensure that ALL players use their real names AND allow their servers to be supervised by the CCP regardless of their location. SO WG ( along with all game developers) will face a choice... have the chinese market on Chinas terms or have the rest of teh world. Either way the ASIA server is gonna become a ghost town. The Chinese players either go back to their own server or they stay on ASIA but WG moves the rest of us who dont agree with CCP intervention to that level across to the EU or NA servers 

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
633 posts
3,243 battles
2 minutes ago, Davey77 said:

Most of the planet is going to "1984" unfortunately 😕

Not quite. Most of us are educated enough and thus capable of igniting a reform or revolution, something of which is lacking in Orwell's world. 

• Cool 2

[CLAY]
2,829 posts
12,627 battles

Don’t a lot of game companies bend over backwards to placate China to protect the money they get from Chinese players and investments?

I wonder how they’re going to deal with this?

• Cool 4

[ASALT]
56 posts
21,427 battles
1 minute ago, Grygus_Triss said:

I wonder how they’re going to deal with this?

for WG it'll either be move the chinese players back onto a chinese server OR migrate the rest of us to NA or EU .. theres no way WG or any game developer can allow that kind of intrusion into peoples lives outside of china 

[151ST]
81 posts
2,355 battles
Just now, Earl_of_Arland said:

Not quite. Most of us are educated enough and thus capable of igniting a reform or revolution, something of which is lacking in Orwell's world. 

Yes, I said "going". Not yet. But some of us are educated enough to know it's going to take a lot more then just reform. Revolution will mean switching of the propaganda machine. Not easily done for many.

[LBAS]
1,815 posts
3,503 battles

that is the most FOOLISH step goverment take. now people have reason to revolt.... instead of using "Buzzer" propaganda, they ban online game... fueling un needed revolt. Chinese is already prospher... what are they thinking by degrading it? "buzzer" prove to be effective, propaganda is the best way

14 minutes ago, Davey77 said:

Yes, I said "going". Not yet. But some of us are educated enough to know it's going to take a lot more then just reform. Revolution will mean switching of the propaganda machine. Not easily done for many.

its sound silly but, the real cause of 1998 Chaos Revolt is caused by increase of racing exhaust for car and motorcycle due to dollar. upper class college student doing protest for another disguised reason like increased dollar  make people's poverty.... 

"no one asked for President abdication"... until

it wasnt chaos until goverment decide to silence them..... then history happen.... the Infamous of ..........

***BEEEEPPPPPP  i am lied, it never happen, that is joke....there is no way higher price of racing exhaust pipe caused revolt. 

just like online gaming ban, there will be no revolution nor sinking of fleet sheep nor WW3 nor singularity war

Edited by Skarhabek

[CLAY]
2,829 posts
12,627 battles
13 minutes ago, Riddyck said:

for WG it'll either be move the chinese players back onto a chinese server OR migrate the rest of us to NA or EU .. theres no way WG or any game developer can allow that kind of intrusion into peoples lives outside of china 

Yeah, pretty sure it would conflict with a lot of countries laws. Who would then ban the game if they didn’t change it. Not to mention A lot of player would actually quit if they had to obey China’s laws.

But it seems like China just doesn’t want its people to communicate with people from other countries completely. So it’s unlikely China will accept these games unless it’s in a closed China Server.

Countries with free speech have trouble playing alongside countries without free speech.

[VEU]
387 posts
14,821 battles

Thanks CPC. I've got sick of those bots and trolls for the last 2 years. Most good Chinese-speaking players are from Taiwan or Hongkong anyway.

• Cool 6

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
633 posts
3,243 battles
15 minutes ago, Skarhabek said:

its sound silly but, the real cause of 1998 Chaos Revolt is caused by increase of racing exhaust for car and motorcycle due to dollar. upper class college student doing protest for another disguised reason like increased dollar  make people's poverty.... 

"no one asked for President abdication"... until

it wasnt chaos until goverment decide to silence them..... then history happen.... the Infamous of ..........

***BEEEEPPPPPP  i am lied, it never happen, that is joke....there is no way higher price of racing exhaust pipe caused revolt. 

just like online gaming ban, there will be no revolution nor sinking of fleet sheep nor WW3 nor singularity war

You've spoken way too much.

by the way, do you want the fried rice with gunpowder? 

Ignore that walkie talkie, it's just a decoration

• Funny 1

[SALT]
2,042 posts
10,542 battles

Man, are you all sure not Got hyped by "trusted" propoganda themself.

VPN is still a thing. 

And There Chinese Law that restrict Youth  bellow 18 age with only 90 min of Playing. and no more pass 10PM. You know how young uns cheat the system ? They just buy The Adult gaming ID that have no restriction for just 50 Yuan in online Market (around 4 USD), I know that because I compeled to try CN wangze by one of my Co-Worker once.

its been in place since 2007 and no one give a damn about it  lol as Most CN gamers play avrg 8-12 hours a day

Edited by humusz
  • Cool 1

[MRI]
3,599 posts
15,465 battles

Sad news. It is extremely depressing when government do things like this to control their own populations and keep them ignorant or brainwashed. Sadly it is not just China doing this, but plenty of other countries around the world too.

32 minutes ago, Davey77 said:

Revolution will mean switching of the propaganda machine. Not easily done for many.

Yeah switching off the propaganda machine also requires a good dose of critical thinking, which not everybody is capable of.

[151ST]
81 posts
2,355 battles
6 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

Sad news. It is extremely depressing when government do things like this to control their own populations and keep them ignorant or brainwashed. Sadly it is not just China doing this, but plenty of other countries around the world too.

Yeah switching off the propaganda machine also requires a good dose of critical thinking, which not everybody is capable of.

agreed

88 posts
5,921 battles

Is there any reference or regulation document? It seems like that most reports are based on the banning of Animal Crossing and some pure speculation while I search through the Internet. I doubt whether these reports are accurate or not.

[151ST]
2,588 posts
10,407 battles

Sad, I feel sorry for them but to be honest it's not surprising.

The amount of chinese students who study internationally and yet don't know huge chunk of their own countrys history is nuts.

Some look into it, some of those dismiss it as western propoganda, some don't.

Whether those inside China can see what the CCP doesn't want them to or not has long been a moot point.

The real issue has been raised above; how does this affect those in other countries...

Time will tell.

I don't think it'll be as big of an issue for the Asia server as some think.

• Cool 3

[SALT]
2,042 posts
10,542 battles
8 minutes ago, AnExtremelyWeakPlayer said:

Is there any reference or regulation document? It seems like that most reports are based on the banning of Animal Crossing and some pure speculation while I search through the Internet. I doubt whether these reports are accurate or not.

Anything News That related to China need to take with tablespoon of Salt. There seems huge information warfare, following CoronaVirus.

The Most Jarring I see, "CHINA Ban and Kick western Journalist, because they have somnething to hide in Coronavirus case". After checking its retaliation to US kicking China Journalist, and only 3 Outlet was kicked (WSJ, NYJ and one other I forget) but those clockbait article dont even mention that There still reuters, Vice, VOA, CNN, FOX, VOX ABC, NBC, BBC, AP etc still in China.

Chinese Team still participating in ESL one LA 2020 Dota2 tournament too, so, in E-Sports scene seems its still normal 

Edited by humusz

[FORCE]
2,418 posts
12,266 battles
1 hour ago, Gummiheng said:

Now i can stop editing my locale config file to read china player

Uhh Taiwan exists you know (also known as the other "China").

I mean that place is actually more open than Hong Kong.

• Cool 2

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,544 posts
26,546 battles
3 hours ago, IndyChanKawaii said:

Thanks CPC. I've got sick of those bots and trolls for the last 2 years. Most good Chinese-speaking players are from Taiwan or Hongkong anyway.

lol no, most of the good players from TW and HK of any note AFKed long ago, now the majority of the "new" unicum are just rerolls from the Chinese server

• Cool 2

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,544 posts
26,546 battles
2 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

Sad, I feel sorry for them but to be honest it's not surprising.

The amount of chinese students who study internationally and yet don't know huge chunk of their own countrys history is nuts.

Some look into it, some of those dismiss it as western propoganda, some don't.

Whether those inside China can see what the CCP doesn't want them to or not has long been a moot point.

The real issue has been raised above; how does this affect those in other countries...

Time will tell.

I don't think it'll be as big of an issue for the Asia server as some think.

you mean guys like me? 

here's the thing,  most students outside of china and even within know fully well about these events, it's just very socially taboo to talk about it, think Americans and their slaughter of native Americans, or the brits and abbos when they just landed in Australia.

and for the people who get triggered by people bringing it up as a meme, I can actually relate a bit

imagine if every disagreement on the internet ended with "hey remember the time that you separated children from their parents to westernize them haha lol"

• Cool 5

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,544 posts
26,546 battles

Advanced issues found

2 hours ago, humusz said:

The Most Jarring I see, "CHINA Ban and Kick western Journalist, because they have somnething to hide in Coronavirus case". After checking its retaliation to US kicking China Journalist, and only 3 Outlet was kicked (WSJ, NYJ and one other I forget) but those clockbait article dont even mention that There still reuters, Vice, VOA, CNN, FOX, VOX ABC, NBC, BBC, AP etc still in China.

Washington post, good riddance too, you could wipe your ass with that drivel  and end up with less shit on the paper 

[151ST]
2,588 posts
10,407 battles
34 minutes ago, CV_NMSL said:

you mean guys like me? 

here's the thing,  most students outside of china and even within know fully well about these events, it's just very socially taboo to talk about it, think Americans and their slaughter of native Americans, or the brits and abbos when they just landed in Australia.

and for the people who get triggered by people bringing it up as a meme, I can actually relate a bit

imagine if every disagreement on the internet ended with "hey remember the time that you separated children from their parents to westernize them haha lol"

That was my thinking for years, my thinking was how could one not know? However I met a few (younger) people over the years who corrected me. It seems in some places or perhaps areas it was taboo to the point of not being passed on to younger generations.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that 'common knowledge' is often subjective.

*Shrugs* there's every chance you are right and I am wrong, all of it is second-hand for me so I have no place of experience to speak from, I can only recount what I have been told.

But that's that, the concern for me is hoping that these sorts of laws don't affect the games I play. That has been the case over the last year or two not even with laws but with influence without asking; Hearthstone for example.

Edited by S4pp3R

[SALT]
2,042 posts
10,542 battles
51 minutes ago, CV_NMSL said:

Washington post, good riddance too, you could wipe your ass with that drivel  and end up with less shit on the paper 

Well, I normaly only trust Associated Press

I often need to fact check News regularly, especialy concerning Geo-Politics.

But everything nowdays is seasoned with Political agenda even games, often focusing on all the wrong reason as game should be. advertised as game have charater that gay, black minorities that also vegan for some reason. 

I remember reading ME andromeda article in Kotaku, that said, the game failed because The "default" MC is female. uhmm, ME andromeda is just Shit for any other reason beside fcking that 🤣

Edited by humusz
  • Cool 3