Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Davey77

Questions from a new player.

23 comments in this topic

[151ST]
81 posts
2,369 battles

Hello fellow captains.

New player here and I want to ask some questions. Answers from player base and/or devs welcome.

Been playing WOW for a few weeks now. I'm really enjoying the game. Seen some very sweet ships in battle that aren't available to me, but I have to face them in combat. Any chance a new bug like me can pick them up somehow or are they coming back onto the purchase line? The ships in question are Missouri, Musashi and Smolensk. Being new and only have 40k coal I'm hoping Thunderer doesn't get booted before I reach the required coal limit. <--- Devs please take note. Keep Thunderer lol. As for the others mentioned..... *WAVES CASH* @ devs 😉

I've been playing only BB's so far. Still learning the ropes. I have a Jean Bart, Sharnhorst and currently working on Russian/German BB lines. I have heard the Japanese BB line is good also. Yamato seems to be the "prize". Any advice on research direction for the BB? Also when the time comes, advice on cruisers and destroyer choice? 

Thanks for you time peeps.

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,639 posts
7,755 battles
21 minutes ago, Davey77 said:

Missouri, Musashi and Smolensk

Nope nope and nope.

Your only chance is them dropping form a supercontainer.

In regards to ships to go after.  take your time and learn the game.  it might seem simple but the mechanics are very complex and you will only learn from working your way gradually through the tech tree.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,575 posts
26,552 battles
24 minutes ago, Davey77 said:

Missouri, Musashi

Christmas lootboxes and charity giveaways are the only methods i can remember them giving those ships back out, but both of them can easily cost up to 1k USD to get just one, never mind both 

Jean Bart, Sharnhorst and currently working on Russian/German BB lines.

i wouldn't suggest starting off in the deep end, play lower tiers first to get a hang of the ropes

apanese BB line is good also. Yamato seems to be the "prize".

IJN BBs have the more "battleship" like playstyle in the game, most of the other lines are gimmicky, it's not a bad option but you wont get used to them fast, especially coming out of the soviet and german BB lines

advice on cruisers

for DPM ships french line is good until T8, T9/10 sucks so don't get them. 

for utility play the USN CA line, the best line of cruisers imho

25 minutes ago, Davey77 said:

destroyer choice

the advice is, don't, they suck in this meta

Edited by CV_NMSL
  • Cool 2

34 posts
5,787 battles
37 分鐘前,CV_NMSL 說:

the advice is, don't, they suck in this meta

RN dds still enjoyable, maybe? 

and personally tho, I love IJN cruisers they are just so relaxing.

Edited by suisei_hosimati

[CLAY]
129 posts
10,802 battles

Get Tirpitz - great all rounder for farming both credits and exp points. Can be a bit pricey (for me anyway), but probably worth it. Only downside being it is fielded against mainly IX and X BBs and CAs.

• Cool 1

[151ST]
81 posts
2,369 battles
42 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Nope nope and nope.

Your only chance is them dropping form a supercontainer.

In regards to ships to go after.  take your time and learn the game.  it might seem simple but the mechanics are very complex and you will only learn from working your way gradually through the tech tree.

Well boo, I guess I'll have to "get lucky". Same chance as winning the lotto hey 😕

Yes, lots to learn here, lots <--- understatement. I know tier 9 is too high for a new comer, but I like the deep end and I learn off the pro playing next to me or against me. I do get slapped around a bit, but I've had some really decent kills/hits. A  *one hit*  x4 citadel on a Yamato was funny. Still, yeah I'm rushing it a bit. I only got the Jean Bart because I didn't want it going on my ship "dream list" like the others. Also Jeany baby racks up the credits and XP.

[151ST]
81 posts
2,369 battles
1 minute ago, Leo_1408 said:

Get Tirpitz - great all rounder for farming both credits and exp points. Can be a bit pricey (for me anyway), but probably worth it. Only downside being it is fielded against mainly IX and X BBs and CAs.

Yes, Tirpitz is on the  want list. So is Georgia, Warspite, Thunderer, Lenin, Perth, Bayard and Graf Spee. I have heard some good, some bad things about Mainz. Anyone here played her yet?

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
636 posts
3,256 battles
18 minutes ago, Davey77 said:

I have heard some good, some bad things about Mainz. Anyone here played her yet?

Not play, but faced them. I think Seydlitz Mainz is very good, due to the fact it maintained Hipper and Eugen's main feature, a tough hull, and rectifying their weakness of low DPM by slapping Nurnberg's turret on top of it. With the 1/4 caliber HE pen, high velocity shell and adequate range combined with armor and decent rudder makes her good for long range HE spamming. Drawback of course she's a heavy cruiser hull with 25 mm plating (not as tanky compared to her sister), slow speed, and huge profile.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
129 posts
10,802 battles
2 hours ago, Davey77 said:

Yes, Tirpitz is on the  want list. So is Georgia, Warspite, Thunderer, Lenin, Perth, Bayard and Graf Spee. I have heard some good, some bad things about Mainz. Anyone here played her yet?

Mainz is my latest  purchase - and I haven't played her much as yet, but I like her. She is like a grown up Nurnburg (one of my faves,) with good rapid fire, but a bit light on in the hitting power - specially in HE, and like Tirpitz she is frequently outmatched by Tier IX and X opponents. The higher tiers from VIII onwards can be a bit of a mixed bag. I like playing Tier VI and VII, and they tend to be more evenly matched. Graf Spee is brilliant in her tier - light BB hitting power in AP - Perth is pretty average, and Warspite ditto. I only have one Tier IX cruiser - Neptune (I had to grind to get her) and apart from rapid fire cannon - she is pretty much 'meh!' Of those you mentioned, I would get Graf Spee first, and then Tirpitz. 

But bear in mind that I am a crap player - so my requirements may not be the same as most others. :Smile_child:

[151ST]
81 posts
2,369 battles
50 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

If you plan to get Yamato eventually, you would never need Musashi.

lol - thank you for that relieving comment good sir. I guess I wont miss out on all the fun 😉

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,639 posts
7,755 battles
53 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

If you plan to get Yamato eventually, you would never need Musashi.

But...…………………….899 Divs???????????????????????????????

• Funny 1

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,575 posts
26,552 battles
1 hour ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

izumo or the USN BBs are actually better for the accuracy  

[SMOKE]
2,020 posts
16,216 battles

My advice is not to spend money, doubloons, and coal for the moment ... just play and grind a tree at leas till you get to T9 , where you can learn the in and out of the game and game-play first and on high tier the need to mind economy ; there are many decent Premium ships , and you can save up coal / doubloons for them if and when you get to know the game better and you yourself as a player better

• Cool 1

[151ST]
2,609 posts
10,423 battles
14 hours ago, Davey77 said:

New player here and I want to ask some questions. Answers from player base and/or devs welcome.

Devs don't respond in here, occasionally we get a mod though. Devs don't really respond much at all and if they do it's usually on streams or reddit FYI.

The ships in question are Missouri, Musashi and Smolensk.

Missouri is basically an Iowa but with radar and should never have been a thing, Iowa is same gameplay just doesn't earn premium credits.

Musashi is basically an early-hull Yamato (less AA) with less accuracy to balance her at T9 but earns premium credits.

If you have JB, you don't really need Missouri or Musashi, JB isn't quite as nuts with credits compared to Missouri but she does well enough.

Smolensk is a BS ship and shouldn't have been released, don't feel like you are missing out - she's the worst sort of fun and won't actually teach you anything that Minotaur or Worcester can't.

Any advice on research direction for the BB? Also when the time comes, advice on cruisers and destroyer choice?

SN (Soviet Navy) or KMF (I think is the other acronym for them) BBs are strong, with many of them being strongest in tier and type. Not a bad choice to play but also a poor starting point from a learning perspective.

KM BBs are almost as bad sadly.

Most ship lines in the game have 'gimmicks' to differentiate them further from their peers and to bait people into playing them when they were released. Despite this, if you want to learn proper BB play I still recommend IJN or USN and the same for Cruisers play. USN BBs are slow until T8 but are solid ships, IJN are generally quicker until T9 but either have most or biggest guns in tier but have limited AA.

13 hours ago, Davey77 said:

I know tier 9 is too high for a new comer, but I like the deep end and I learn off the pro playing next to me or against me.

That's probably one of the worst ways to learn, FYI. Partly because higher tiers doesn't mean better players but also because the lessons you learn up there only really apply to, up there. A lot of the best lessons you can learn are at the mid tiers, high tiers only care about high tier gameplay, not the basics.

Best advice is to join a clan and get on voice comms. From your English I'm guessing you are an Aussie or Kiwi, you should join one of the ANZ clans. Clans offer you base upgrades that give minor buffs to XP, ship repairs, coal, etc.

Most of the ANZ clans are tight with a lot of really close relationships both in and outside the game. We also have a lot of really knowledgeable guys who are happy to devote time to help you improve, even playing at lower tiers.

I humbly offer you a position in 151 if you are interested. PM me for discord details and I'll get you setup.

• Cool 2

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,639 posts
7,755 battles
49 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

Smolensk is a BS ship and shouldn't have been released, don't feel like you are missing out - she's the worst sort of fun

44551_preview.png

• Funny 2

[FORCE]
2,433 posts
12,277 battles
13 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

That strat is overrated.

I mean come on, that strat came from a veteran unicum from this server, and used it on "that" server. The same server where he managed to rush a JB with Trashkent, and tortured it at point blank range. Do the same here, and reports inbound duh.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,575 posts
26,552 battles

Advanced issue found

3 minutes ago, Sir_Feather said:

Do the same here, and reports inbound duh.

what do you mean overrated, there's literally no counter except pray you don't run into one, or play indom/GZ, both of which sucks 

[FORCE]
2,433 posts
12,277 battles
20 minutes ago, CV_NMSL said:

what do you mean overrated, there's literally no counter except pray you don't run into one, or play indom/GZ, both of which sucks 

1. The strat does not work (or is less effective) against British CVs thanks to the armored deck.
  2. The stat only works against the slowpokes. Islands can still block shells, any CV players who know that will use it as a cover. Sure there are still some maps with exposed spawn areas, but you get my point.
  3. Scoring hits at over 20 km away with a BB manned by drunken gunners will never be easy enough for potatoes to accomplish. But the whole reason why Musashi is a condition for this strat is solely because the ability to overmatch the bow-tanking CVs (a.k.a. CVs that don't move). As you said Izumo & US BBs are better due to their better accuracy. Their only problem is their lack of ability to overmatch.
  4. This strat requires proper teamwork from at least 2 players. I think our server has a lack of that. I mean the majority of Random players are lone wolves. Good luck finding a random teammate to pull that off. Buuuut that's why divisions exist, right?
  • Cool 2

[KMS-A]
288 posts
6,074 battles

German BBs ar much better now esp GK. And secondaries build is much better now.

It was my first line. Why? It has the Bismarck.

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
636 posts
3,256 battles
5 minutes ago, sfcgx3 said:

German BBs ar much better now esp GK. And secondaries build is much better now.

It was my first line. Why? It has the Bismarck.

Exactly the same reason, but i have different opinion.

With the current meta, i think full 11.3 km secondary build are as capable, especially with Asia's focus on long range gunnery.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,575 posts
26,552 battles
7 hours ago, Sir_Feather said:

The strat does not work (or is less effective) against British CVs thanks to the armored deck.

then you have 2 Musashis on the enemy team with no CV to effectivley counter it 

7 hours ago, Sir_Feather said:

The stat only works against the slowpokes. Islands can still block shells, any CV players who know that will use it as a cover. Sure there are still some maps with exposed spawn areas, but you get my point.

the only maps that are "blocked" are two brothers and maybe shatter, sure a CV can try to run for cover, but that doesn't mean that he'll make it far, all each musashi needs to do is to chunk the CV for 15k~ damage and the CV is as good as dead, and if he pulls back more to try and not die his damage potential falls through the floor

8 hours ago, Sir_Feather said:

Scoring hits at over 20 km away with a BB manned by drunken gunners will never be easy enough for potatoes to accomplish. But the whole reason why Musashi is a condition for this strat is solely because the ability to overmatch the bow-tanking CVs (a.k.a. CVs that don't move). As you said Izumo & US BBs are better due to their better accuracy. Their only problem is their lack of ability to overmatch.

cant hit a CV at 20km? get better divmates who can aim, it's a CV, it cant dodge, it doesn't matter what ship you are in to be honest since T8 CV all lack armor, the only 2 ships that can decktank (not bowtank) at all is GZ and indom anyways and they can block 460s regardless. you don't need overmatch for the CVs that are actually good at T8- ie skk, lex, saipan and kaga 

8 hours ago, Sir_Feather said:

This strat requires proper teamwork from at least 2 players. I think our server has a lack of that. I mean the majority of Random players are lone wolves. Good luck finding a random teammate to pull that off. Buuuut that's why divisions exist, right?

i mean.... it's called a 899 div

haveing 2 players who knows what's going on is a given isn't it?

Sign in to follow this