Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Leo_1408

Defence of Naval Station Newport - a waste of time?

5 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
129 posts
10,802 battles

I have found this operation to be a total waste of time. I have tried many different ships and many different strategies - from YOLOing with Nurnburg, to sheltering behind islands and taking pot shots with BBs. My team mates get slaughtered no matter what I do, and in the end I become target practice for for five or six cruisers and BBs. Maybe one out of every six or seven operations is successful - so I give up.  Naval Station Newport can get Jolly Rogered.

WG - change the balance - seven vessels to ward off maybe twenty or more? I don't see the point - you can't buy more effective ships, so WG is not making more money with operations of this type - just discouraging players. Or get rid of the operation, and bring back things like Narai and other more interesting and achievable scenarios.

Edited by Leo_1408

[-ISO-]
1,062 posts
6,286 battles

I'm getting so fed up with this one particular Operation that I start giving up on it. I created a thread about a suggestion to nerf it. But I don't expect much about it anyway since how WG filter their feedbacks. Probably we must wait until 3 years later to see what most PvE players ask and suggest.

[MRI]
3,602 posts
15,476 battles

This Operation is on the harder side but still very doable. Imo this Operation is far more interesting as it actually provides a challenge.

The problem is many players have no idea how to play this Operation.

14 minutes ago, Leo_1408 said:

I have tried many different ships and many different strategies - from YOLOing with Nurnburg, to sheltering behind islands and taking pot shots with BBs.

Both are losing strategies players often do. They either camp at snipe against bow on targets for poor damage or yolo and die.

No, what players should be doing is pushing out proactively to eliminate enemies as fast as possible. The Op gets a lot harder if you fail the first half of the mission, so it is imperative that you kill the enemies in time before they enter the bay area.

Don't yolo into the enemy, but go up the lane adjacent to them to farm their broadsides.

There is a pattern to how the enemies spawn. Abuse this to know where rhe next wave of enemies will spawn so you can move to farm citadels.

The map has 3 lanes and the enemy spawns will follow these 2 rules:

1) An enemy wave will always spawn on a lane adjacent to the previous spawn. They will never spawn on the same lane or a distant lane.

2) An enemy wave will spawn on a lane it has never spawned before, unless it violates rule 1.

With these 2 rules you can predict how the first 3 waves spawn, eg:

If the first wave is the left lane, the second wave will be the middle lane and the last wave will be in the right lane.

If the first wave is the middle lane, the second wave will be either the left or right lane and the last wave will be the middle lane again.

TL,DR: The key to victory is knowing how the enemies spawn so your team can position themselves to farm their broadsides. Camping in the bay is going to cost you the game.

• Cool 3

[CLAY]
129 posts
10,802 battles
15 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

This Operation is on the harder side but still very doable. Imo this Operation is far more interesting as it actually provides a challenge.

The problem is many players have no idea how to play this Operation.

Both are losing strategies players often do. They either camp at snipe against bow on targets for poor damage or yolo and die.

No, what players should be doing is pushing out proactively to eliminate enemies as fast as possible. The Op gets a lot harder if you fail the first half of the mission, so it is imperative that you kill the enemies in time before they enter the bay area.

Don't yolo into the enemy, but go up the lane adjacent to them to farm their broadsides.

There is a pattern to how the enemies spawn. Abuse this to know where rhe next wave of enemies will spawn so you can move to farm citadels.

The map has 3 lanes and the enemy spawns will follow these 2 rules:

1) An enemy wave will always spawn on a lane adjacent to the previous spawn. They will never spawn on the same lane or a distant lane.

2) An enemy wave will spawn on a lane it has never spawned before, unless it violates rule 1.

With these 2 rules you can predict how the first 3 waves spawn, eg:

If the first wave is the left lane, the second wave will be the middle lane and the last wave will be in the right lane.

If the first wave is the middle lane, the second wave will be either the left or right lane and the last wave will be the middle lane again.

TL,DR: The key to victory is knowing how the enemies spawn so your team can position themselves to farm their broadsides. Camping in the bay is going to cost you the game.

Thanks for all that information - I used to YOLO, but I don't any more. I try to do what you suggest (not sure what a lane is) and get up quite close to the early waves - only backing off when I have taken to much damage to survive long. The information about spawning is very interesting and helpful, but I think I already worked that out.

I guess part of my problem is that other players don't seem to want to work as a team (enemy bots seem to, as they all concentrate on any player that hsa taken damage) and there really isn't a function in the game play that encourages team co-operation. Like its all well and good to farm points, but if your team loses, your points are less and they don't count towards any combat missions you are playing - so like its not a good strategy. I'm happy to cop the odd shell and torpedo if it means my team wins.

Added to all of which, LOL! I'm pretty much a crap potato player - but it's nice to have the odd, random win. :Smile_smile:

Edited by Leo_1408
  • Cool 1

1,441 posts
17,190 battles

1. If you want 5 stars, never hide in the green circle, or enemy breach easily.

2. It's not worthwhile playing it after income for scenarios get nerfed.

Sign in to follow this