Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
S4pp3R

World of Warships sponsoring Linus Tech Tips

7 comments in this topic

[151ST]
2,600 posts
10,413 battles

So World of Warships is paying to sponsor Linus.

If you don't know who Linus is, he's a massive tech YouTuber, primarily PC-based. Think PC-builds, expensive gaming rigs, server builds, etc etc. He's really good but that's beside the point.

The 'ad' (at the end of the video) actually has him say things like 'tonnes of historic ships to unlock like the USS Missouri' and 'each in game ship is based on scans of real live ships'...

Now while both of these are technically accurate, I'm 99% sure that in countries with laws similar to Australia, both statements would be considered misleading advertising.

For those who have missed what I'm talking about; Missouri hasn't been available for ages except for things like xmas crates and 'scans of real live ships' implies the scans of the actual ships, which is obviously not the case.

And the nice little extra one was that USS Arizona can apparently be 'unlocked' too. Again, no it can't it has to be purchased...

Oh and the ad doesn't even show actual gameplay, just the trailer footage which always annoys me when I see game ads - I want to see how it plays, not what the cinematic looks like.

But anyways...

• Cool 1

[-CAT-]
2,450 posts
11,540 battles
1 hour ago, S4pp3R said:

So World of Warships is paying to sponsor Linus.

If you don't know who Linus is, he's a massive tech YouTuber, primarily PC-based. Think PC-builds, expensive gaming rigs, server builds, etc etc. He's really good but that's beside the point.

The 'ad' (at the end of the video) actually has him say things like 'tonnes of historic ships to unlock like the USS Missouri' and 'each in game ship is based on scans of real live ships'...

Now while both of these are technically accurate, I'm 99% sure that in countries with laws similar to Australia, both statements would be considered misleading advertising.

For those who have missed what I'm talking about; Missouri hasn't been available for ages except for things like xmas crates and 'scans of real live ships' implies the scans of the actual ships, which is obviously not the case.

And the nice little extra one was that USS Arizona can apparently be 'unlocked' too. Again, no it can't it has to be purchased...

Oh and the ad doesn't even show actual gameplay, just the trailer footage which always annoys me when I see game ads - I want to see how it plays, not what the cinematic looks like.

But anyways...

WG also have LTT camo for CWoN ship Haida.

It's kind of a TY from WG to LTT.

One of their staff is an active WoWs player.

But yes, the ad is "somewhat" misleading.

That staff should have checked and let Linus know that the ad statement given to them is somewhat misleading.

Or

Linus did play the game earlier but doesn't now. And only have remembered the past patch and not the present one.

Or

The team just copy pasted an old ad. To save time

Edited by S0und_Theif
  • Cool 2

[CLAY]
2,832 posts
12,628 battles

Well, technically the USS Iowa is “like” the USS Missouri.

But it sounds like the guy was paid, and just didn’t do his research, like he read an overview of the game by WG.

Its his integrity on the line anyway.

This sort of advertising doesn’t surprise me, considering the way WG communicates, let WG deal with new players saying “Where’s my Missouri?”

I don’t trust most youtubers giving sponsored ads anyway, always sound disingenuous. But given how much YouTube screws over its contributors, I don’t blame them for doing what they can to make a profit.

But they should all take the Jingles approach where they pick a product they actually can get behind, do the research, spend an entire video talking about it, then spend another, non sponsored video talking about said product when new information comes up when the product is placed in doubt.

• Cool 2

[151ST]
2,600 posts
10,413 battles
9 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Well, technically the USS Iowa is “like” the USS Missouri.

But it sounds like the guy was paid, and just didn’t do his research, like he read an overview of the game by WG.

Its his integrity on the line anyway.

This sort of advertising doesn’t surprise me, considering the way WG communicates, let WG deal with new players saying “Where’s my Missouri?”

I don’t trust most youtubers giving sponsored ads anyway, always sound disingenuous. But given how much YouTube screws over its contributors, I don’t blame them for doing what they can to make a profit.

But they should all take the Jingles approach where they pick a product they actually can get behind, do the research, spend an entire video talking about it, then spend another, non sponsored video talking about said product when new information comes up when the product is placed in doubt.

This is the bit where Linus got had...

He usually does, the products he gives a thumbs up to being sponsored by he stands by. My guess is that one of his staff was like 'yeah Warships is good fun, not pay to win like mobile games' or something like that.

• Cool 1

[TLS]
4,173 posts
20,346 battles

"Linus, please build us servers that don't explode."

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[WWS]
311 posts
3,952 battles

Jayztwocents, another tech Youtuber also got sponsored by WG and he plays WoWs.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,548 posts
26,552 battles

linus got a sponsor from wows a long time ago iirc, saw the plug a year or so ago when i was still following him

Edited by CV_NMSL

Sign in to follow this