You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
sdrgio

Tips for Tier X Gameplay?

25 comments in this topic

7 posts
1,111 battles

So I recently got the Montana, and I've heard she's really good. I can see that - great AA, accuracy and speed, 12 guns etc... I have found my play to be inconsistent, however. Most of the time I either get HE spammed to death (Smolensk, Conqueror, I'm looking at you) or on the rare occasion trying to escape the fiery hellscape of HE shells, I get torpedoed by an opportunistic DD. Rarely do I find myself citadel'd by another BB in an evenly matched fight, leading me to believe that my angling and positioning are decent. Often trying to stay out of range of the HE spammers I just keep myself too far from the action and end up with a paltry 30-40k damage. I have had a few decent games, what I consider 100k+ matches, mainly these games are devoid of Smolensk or Conquerors. 

So is it something I'm missing about Tier X gameplay, or is the Montana just obsolete in the current invisible light cruiser HE spam meta? 

[LBAS]
1,817 posts
3,504 battles
38 minutes ago, sdrgio said:

So I recently got the Montana, and I've heard she's really good. I can see that - great AA, accuracy and speed, 12 guns etc... I have found my play to be inconsistent,

Montana is your typically mediocre jack of all trade battleship, decent at everything.... but not too good at everything

39 minutes ago, sdrgio said:

Most of the time I either get HE spammed to death (Smolensk, Conqueror, I'm looking at you) or on the rare occasion trying to escape the fiery hellscape of HE shells, Often trying to stay out of range of the HE spammers I just keep myself too far from the action and end up with a paltry 30-40k damage. I have had a few decent games, what I consider 100k+ matches, mainly these games are devoid of Smolensk or Conquerors. 

So is it something I'm missing about Tier X gameplay, or is the Montana just obsolete in the current invisible light cruiser HE spam meta? 

Montana its not obsolote nor you play wrongly, its the other ship being have super gimmick like HE Spam. if you caught smolenks off guard, it dead in oneshot. you should FEAR Thunderer or Conkek, not puny 35K HP Smolenks. 

42 minutes ago, sdrgio said:

or on the rare occasion trying to escape the fiery hellscape of HE shells, I get torpedoed by an opportunistic DD.

look, WE HAVE 90 Knot Torpedo DD with range of 13km-15km, 100 sec reload... the Halland of Halland.... French DD itself already have insane 80 knot speed but only 8km...

Montana is the second most sluggish, if you get torpedo thats normal.... i am in Georgia barely dodge the torpedo

YOU NEED TO LEARN LONG RANGE AIM, push or escape prediction, and damage mitigation. remember its fine to take damage as long as it wont make you dead. so calculate, simulate the situation wether you push or escape.

people tend to forget that BB require strategy

how to that? KEEP PLAYING, Experience is the best teacher! you cannt be Pro in less than 100 match..... just keep playing, gradually you will improve. just forget the stat and enjoy.

also, there is FLOOR CEILING. its normal, everyone will hit ceiling... if you feel frustate, never improve or screwed everywhere...

its time to join us,

JUST PLAY CV

yes, we never outdated, never obsolote, the bane of skies, the lurker of the ocean.

just playing CV, THE FASTEST WAY, forget your Montana, SELL IT, GET CV! DO IT

PLAY CV!!

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
638 posts
3,274 battles

Hell, this guy at sub-1000 battles already got Montana...

cries in 1.5 years Iowa

Right, to the question

1 hour ago, sdrgio said:

So I recently got the Montana, and I've heard she's really good. I can see that - great AA, accuracy and speed, 12 guns etc... I have found my play to be inconsistent, however. Most of the time I either get HE spammed to death (Smolensk, Conqueror, I'm looking at you) or on the rare occasion trying to escape the fiery hellscape of HE shells, I get torpedoed by an opportunistic DD. Rarely do I find myself citadel'd by another BB in an evenly matched fight, leading me to believe that my angling and positioning are decent. Often trying to stay out of range of the HE spammers I just keep myself too far from the action and end up with a paltry 30-40k damage. I have had a few decent games, what I consider 100k+ matches, mainly these games are devoid of Smolensk or Conquerors. 

True to what Sharkbait said, Montana is a Jack of all trades, meaning she excel at nothing but capable enough on everything. As such, she's usually not as effective on one particular task but rather efficient to do all at one given times. This mean she's more a late-game player, where most of the time they excelled based on my observation. Hence, (in my Iowa at least) i tend to preserve health whenever possible and play between a pushing destroyer and snipers as to give best opportunity to push with the teammates when the enemy retreats, or run when the enemy collapses. That's my playstyle, but others also have good advice around here.

TL;DR don't push too ahead, maintain 14.5-17.5 km and make sure you're not alone.

[LNA]
2,049 posts
14,165 battles

Monty is middle of the pack as far as BB go. However, she is unique on that she has the highest alpha strike potentials of all BB and an armor scheme that is immune to AP bomb.

This allow her to spearhead in CV matches and actually protect other ships by going positions other BB will not normally go or dare to go. Try helping weaker ship by shielding them from CV beelining strikes.

Keep in mind that she can lob 12 shells, that's 3 more than most. And 6 more if you do the butt angling techniques. With decent aim numbers will make up for the lesser damage per shot she has. This ship punish bad plays of specialized ships really hard. Exploit their mistakes knowing that you are good enough in most scenarios.

7 posts
1,111 battles
13 hours ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

Hell, this guy at sub-1000 battles already got Montana...

cries in 1.5 years Iowa

Is that... good

[LNA]
2,049 posts
14,165 battles
2 hours ago, sdrgio said:

Is that... good

It means you are focused and maybe rushing too much. Try to slow down and learn at tier 8,9. Tier X is quite a different beast as ships become extremely specialized in what they do.

• Cool 1

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,582 posts
26,581 battles

Advanced issue found

Advanced issue found

+Is that... good

not really, not playing enough means that you rushed up through the tiers and ended up in a position where you don't know a lot of stuff about stuff like the stats and gimmicks of other ships, high tier meta, counterplay to certain ships and sometimes even basic game knowledge. like the guy in the other thread complaining about losing a fight to a Moskva in a balti because "everything shattered on his armor and the moskva killed him in one salvo",  the situation would have been completely reversed if he had known about mechanics like overmatch and auto bounce. 

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,582 posts
26,581 battles
17 hours ago, sdrgio said:

montana is in a pretty sad state right now, it's not really just you, it's just the meta. she will always be a low skill floor high skill ceiling ship based on the great accuracy of the guns but slow shell travel time,lack of shell penn and lack of gimmick, but as a ship that you really need to play either really smart or really dumb to do well in... yeah it's not surprising that your gameplay is inconsistent.

try flanking the enemy more, and having better target selection.  since your shells don't overmatch T10 CAs you should put yourself in a position where you can farm normal penns on the enemy's flank but you are relatively protected, or put yourself at a angle to your main fleet where if they try to turn and shoot you, they expose their broadsides to your teammates

[CLAY]
2,840 posts
12,654 battles

Is that... good

You'll see people on the forums who believe you don't truly learn how to master T10s before playing thousands of games, You'll see people in game who still don't know basic skills despite playing thousands of games.

Playing mid-tiers and lower high tiers a lot give you good training for the T10s. As @legionary2099, slowing down and learning gives you a lot more player experience.

That said, you're ahead of a lot of people in that you are questioning your playstyle and knowledge, and asking for help. If you're doing that now, you'll be a pretty good player in a few thousand more games

• Cool 4

7 posts
1,111 battles
3 hours ago, CV_NMSL said:

montana is in a pretty sad state right now, it's not really just you, it's just the meta. she will always be a low skill floor high skill ceiling ship based on the great accuracy of the guns but slow shell travel time,lack of shell penn and lack of gimmick, but as a ship that you really need to play either really smart or really dumb to do well in... yeah it's not surprising that your gameplay is inconsistent.

try flanking the enemy more, and having better target selection.  since your shells don't overmatch T10 CAs you should put yourself in a position where you can farm normal penns on the enemy's flank but you are relatively protected, or put yourself at a angle to your main fleet where if they try to turn and shoot you, they expose their broadsides to your teammates

Pretty much how I feel about it at the moment. At least in the Iowa and North Carolina I felt as though I was evenly matched. The Montana, while I can definitely see her strengths, feels like a massive magnet for invisible long-range HE snipers like Smolensk, Worcester, DM, and the RN BBs that are just horribly broken. 

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,582 posts
26,581 battles
20 minutes ago, sdrgio said:

Pretty much how I feel about it at the moment. At least in the Iowa and North Carolina I felt as though I was evenly matched. The Montana, while I can definitely see her strengths, feels like a massive magnet for invisible long-range HE snipers like Smolensk, Worcester, DM, and the RN BBs that are just horribly broken. 

try playing a bit closer to islands or be more passive, if woosters and DMs can farm you down then it usually means that your position is already too exposed

Iowa and NC you can still overmatch CAs, Montana cant as well in the current T10 MM with all the 30mm CAs running around

Edited by CV_NMSL

7 posts
1,111 battles
3 minutes ago, CV_NMSL said:

try playing a bit closer to islands or be more passive, if woosters and DMs can farm you down then it usually means that your position is already too exposed

Iowa and NC you can still overmatch CAs, Montana cant as well in the current T10 MM with all the 30mm CAs running around

That's the problem - when I play too passive I end up with 30-40k damage and losing credits. 

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,582 posts
26,581 battles
Just now, sdrgio said:

That's the problem - when I play too passive I end up with 30-40k damage and losing credits. 

playing passive dosnt mean camping in the back only, it means not taking the blunt of the damage unless your team really needs you to and repositioning as according to the needs of the situation 

7 posts
1,111 battles
4 hours ago, CV_NMSL said:

Better target selection - by this do you mean shooting at ships that I am more likely to damage heavily? Eg ships such as GK that get penned easily by American ballistics (atleast in my experience)? If so, is setting up a training room with common Tier X ships a good idea to see which ships are easily damaged given the ballistics and shells on the Montana?

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,582 posts
26,581 battles

Advanced issues found

1 minute ago, sdrgio said:

Better target selection - by this do you mean shooting at ships that I am more likely to damage heavily? Eg ships such as GK that get penned easily by American ballistics (atleast in my experience)? If so, is setting up a training room with common Tier X ships a good idea to see which ships are easily damaged given the ballistics and shells on the Montana?

humm, let me put it this way

just from the point of artillery, Montana can punish cruisers the hardest of any BB in the game, but that comes at a price

in exchange for 12 extremely accurate shells, you guns do not overmatch T10 CA's side armor and decks so to any properly angled cruisers of the same tier you wont likely do damage 

the shells are slow and have a high arc, so it's hard to aim against fast moving targets

the shells have low Penn, so you wont do cits to other BBs like yamato or kremlin

so shoot ships that don't match the description above, abuse your high shell arcs to whack island campers, go after CLs that you overmatch, hit DDs that get too close, that kind of thing

[IWN]
265 posts
2,862 battles
On 4/12/2020 at 8:19 AM, sdrgio said:

Is that... good

well hell I'm 3 year in game and just only in 4-6 month ago did I reach tier X with Hakuryuu. but in exchange of that I had played alot of other ship in order to know their weakness, and to be honest it work out better than I thought since I can predict an certain torpedo pattern, where to hit, what range work best for what kind of battleship, should I push or should I wait, and last but not least, when to give up (actually the most important thing is know when to give up, since if you already had that mindset, you could in an lose streak of something like 15 battle a day and you would still kept going to play and enjoy it, instead of rage quit) . In conclusion the tier isnt important, what important is that the tier you are in, did you enjoy it or not? . If no, why bother rushing, just stick around at tier 7-9 it more fun that tier X when there is an huge disparity between level skill like sometime there will be player that dont even know what armor angling is

[WT-F]
51 posts
2,804 battles
On 4/11/2020 at 7:44 PM, sdrgio said:

I could have written the exact same post except I've got a Yamato. Took me forever to get it and just get smashed by HE spammers.

[MALD]
63 posts
5,892 battles

Have you offered any sacrifces to RNGesus recently? You'll need to. 

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,582 posts
26,581 battles
16 hours ago, kyjo said:

I could have written the exact same post except I've got a Yamato. Took me forever to get it and just get smashed by HE spammers.

errr, yamato suffers from none of the same problems that plauge Montana, you can literally sit in spawn and rack up 100k damage if you know how to aim through anyone's bow, if you aren't abusing the 460s then you aren't playing her right

[ASALT]
56 posts
21,496 battles

So is it something I'm missing about Tier X gameplay, 

no ... Tier X just suxs lol 🙂

[WT-F]
51 posts
2,804 battles
On 4/17/2020 at 9:07 AM, CV_NMSL said:

if you know how to aim through anyone's bow, if you aren't abusing the 460s then you aren't playing her right

sitting in the spawn and specifically aiming through the bow ? I'm lucky to hit something from that range, and when I do its a ricochet or over pen. Obviously I'm doing something wrong because others can damage me.

Any tips as basic as they may be would be appreciated because atm it's literally a waste of time.

[KAMI]
1,547 posts
12,772 battles
27 minutes ago, kyjo said:

sitting in the spawn and specifically aiming through the bow ? I'm lucky to hit something from that range, and when I do its a ricochet or over pen. Obviously I'm doing something wrong because others can damage me.

Any tips as basic as they may be would be appreciated because atm it's literally a waste of time.

he doesnt meant point crosshair at  bow..you have to compensate player movement ingame and shell trajectories to hit bow instead landing on  gun casemate.. this all boils down to timing, when/where to fire

^^^^ all that is  experience-based

Edited by Gummiheng

[151ST]
2,623 posts
10,472 battles

I'll give you some generic high tier BB advice with some Montana stuff sprinkled in.

Always maintain at least your concealment + 3km from whoever is spotting you in the early and mid game stand offs.

Keep moving but doesn't have to be full speed, when you go dark it'll mean they only get 1 extra salvo of hits, not 3-4.

You hit like a Freight Train from Hell, don't waste your shots, giving it an extra 5-6 seconds or even more can give you a better target to hit. Giving yourself longer times between shots is also a great idea when you are under sustained fire, you want the enemy to not be able to focus you down.

Despite what some players may say, you will have to do a 180-degree turn at some point, a lot of the time that'll be while spotted, time it so the minimum number of enemy BBs will get hits on your broadside.

Montana doesn't need to use all 12 guns all the time, use off-end guns only when safe.

Montana doesn't have the biggest guns but they have the best pen angles. If someone is showing a hint of cheek (broadside) - give it a good ol' smack.

The best players in World of Warships don't think 10 seconds or 30 seconds ahead, they think 2-3-4 minutes ahead and are constantly planning for that.

Edited by S4pp3R
  • Cool 2

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,582 posts
26,581 battles
2 hours ago, kyjo said:

stay at 15-18km from other BBs if you need to turn, aim at the bow , aft, upper plates or superstructure, the only way Yamato bounce shells is if you were shooting at a heavily angled armor or the turrets

• Cool 1

[PCE]
22 posts
3,866 battles

Sit back sailing around the map boundary, priority target low health enemy ships that will die to fire/torpedos anyway and occasionally help your team? That is what most Tier X BB players do. Oh and make sure to demand AA help when you in the middle of nowhere on the other side of the map doing nothing.