Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
kyjo

Completely Noob Mechanics question

7 comments in this topic

[WT-F]
51 posts
2,804 battles

After 2000 battles I still don't get why when playing a BB I overpen or ricochet such a huge amount of shots. Currently my highest tier BB is the Izumo and I'm bouncing or over pening almost every time. 

Yet i'm penned more often than not !!!!! 

I get the angle for ricochet and the light armour for over pen but when I try it i get smashed.

Am I asking too much from the AP and should just stick with HE ? Others use AP effectively ??????

Is there a specific skill my Commander needs ???

Would be great to be a better BB player but currently it's frustrating the hell out of me.

[NCOTS]
445 posts
11,075 battles

RNG always dictates you when you are playing BB, its normal to have some really wonky salvos. Izumo's good penetration capability plus high shell velocity might result in some overpens, for the case of ricochet I suspect you are hitting the more heavier armored sections even when the enemy is angled. 

I suggest getting the navigator mod, choose the large version of it so you have an idea of how much angle the enemy is giving and you can pick the timing to shoot, go for the citadel if they are giving broadside, go for the upper belt if there's a slight bit of angle, switch to HE/shoot the superstructure (works on BB with a lot of superstructure like the Iowa or Jean Bart, but not the Izumo) if they are bow on. 

You also need to study how much armor you can overmatch with your guns, for example the Izumo can overmatch armor of 27mm and below, so if an Alaska (27mm bow)/Sinop (25mm bow) is bow on towards you, straight away lolpen their bow instead of trying to go for their midsection, if angled properly most ships' midsection can bounced most AP shells easily, and some skilled players will use it to bait shots. You can get the stats of ships here https://proships.ru/stat/main/

This will help as well, if you can go for his recent videos and study it all

• Cool 2

[LBAS]
1,816 posts
3,503 battles

of course worry not,

game by game you will figure it out how to shot where and when......

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_and_Aiming

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_Penetration

except for murica sheep, richochet happened when 

• 90-60° -> auto ricochet (90-67.5° for USN 8" shells)
  • 60-45° -> chance to ricochet (67.5-45° for USN 8" shells)
  • 45-00° -> ricochet doesn't occur

if enemy is angled, try aim at higher than ship belt but near superstructure. or try to crap their gun

or watch you tube video about Izumo

also this is not much but i hope it help

[LBAS]
Modder, Member
6,666 posts
41,523 battles
49 minutes ago, kyjo said:

Currently my highest tier BB is the Izumo and I'm bouncing or over pening almost every time. 

1,448 posts
6,166 battles
9 minutes ago, rookieFTW said:

some skilled players will use it to bait shots

On the other hand, with the current mechanics this is an important technique for a number of, especially T7 battleships like Scharnhorst. Angle and try to bait shots onto her heavily armoured sections rather than her vulnerble bow tip.

13 minutes ago, rookieFTW said:

with a lot of superstructure

Izumo's 57-mm midsection deck is highly resistant against cruiser HE, but can still be penetrated by many battleship HE.

[NCOTS]
445 posts
11,075 battles
2 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

Izumo's 57-mm midsection deck is highly resistant against cruiser HE, but can still be penetrated by many battleship HE.

Yup, the deck only protects her from AP shots/cruiser HE. But it makes her one of the best bow tanking T9 BB since there is so little superstructure to spam with HE or pen with AP

Edited by rookieFTW

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,580 posts
26,566 battles
3 hours ago, kyjo said:

After 2000 battles I still don't get why when playing a BB I overpen or ricochet such a huge amount of shots.

lack of experience

3 hours ago, kyjo said:

I get the angle for ricochet and the light armour for over pen but when I try it i get smashed.

overmatch, your armor thickness, width of your ship, enemy shell speed all matters

3 hours ago, kyjo said:

Am I asking too much from the AP and should just stick with HE ? Others use AP effectively ??????

you need to learn how to use AP, HE spamming BBs are noobs by default unless it's RN

3 hours ago, kyjo said:

Is there a specific skill my Commander needs ???

not really, PT and IFA helps a bit but it's up to the player to do it well

Sign in to follow this