You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
benlisquare

HMAS Australia

15 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

Following today's special theme of ANZAC Day, let's discuss an Australian warship that saw action in the Eastern Atlantic and South East Asia during World War II.

uMvfOZE.jpg

HMAS Australia (D84) was a County-class heavy cruiser in commission with the Royal Australian Navy from 1928 to 1959.

In 1942, she was even the flagship of the ANZAC Squadron, where she supported American naval operations in the Pacific.

Assuming that there is developer interest in introducing premium ships for the British tree, this might be a worthy candidate to represent the RAN.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Rather than a premium ship, I don't see why we wouldn't see County-class cruisers in a regular line, with customization options to rename them the Australia or Canberra (complete with appropriate naval ensigns)

679 posts
3,491 battles

Rather than a premium ship, I don't see why we wouldn't see County-class cruisers in a regular line, with customization options to rename them the Australia or Canberra (complete with appropriate naval ensigns)

Great Idea, this should go for any Nation.  The opportunity to name a particular ship from a list of real names!

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Great Idea, this should go for any Nation.  The opportunity to name a particular ship from a list of real names!

IIRC, something like that is being considered already. WoT has its camouflage and icons, WoWS can have individual ship names and markings.

[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,241 battles

I'd buy that, HMAS's Australia and Sydney would look good in my port.

Alpha Tester
71 posts
502 battles

The original Australia also fits at T4 along with her sister ship New Zealand. Sydney (I) should be a decent fit at T2 although the armament of the SMS Emden is probably too light to get a guernsey. 

DanJar

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

yeah the idea of naming a ship that you want would be a good idea and use gold to change the name and keep that name like they do with the cammo in WOT

and all u need to do is have a menu with the names of the ships for that class of ship :-)

Alpha Tester
982 posts

yeah the idea of naming a ship that you want would be a good idea and use gold to change the name and keep that name like they do with the cammo in WOT

and all u need to do is have a menu with the names of the ships for that class of ship :-)

Agreed, it's a great idea. However, it will never happen.

It will put casual & moderate gamers off in a big way and they represent a very large slice of the server. The problem is that those players will have to rely on identifying each individual ship by it's silhouette at startup rather than by it's name.

Adding the class and name is too much info on the eyes.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

but its easy to work out what ships are what, as there is only 4 types of ship as it is CV BB CA and DD and at the start or when u push the tab key the diff classes are all colour coded Eg cruisers are blue, battleships brown

so it wouldn't be hard to see the brown for BB and then the tier eg tier IX and the name of the ships after that and most only want to know what type of ship and the tier of ship they are fighting.

it really isn't that hard to work it out at all

74 posts
3,216 battles

The original Australia also fits at T4 along with her sister ship New Zealand. Sydney (I) should be a decent fit at T2 although the armament of the SMS Emden is probably too light to get a guernsey. 

DanJar

As far as I can find out, HMS New Zealand was a WW1 Indefatigable-class Battle Cruiser. She did not take part in WW2 and was certainly not a County-class heavy cruiser, so she could not have been a sister ship to HMAS Australia. The NZ navy was established as a separate entity during WW2 and was loaned the Leander-class light cruisers HMNZS Achilles and HMNZS Leander by the RN. (These ships already being part of the NZ Division of the RN at the time.)

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

As far as I can find out, HMS New Zealand was a WW1 Indefatigable-class Battle Cruiser. She did not take part in WW2 and was certainly not a County-class heavy cruiser, so she could not have been a sister ship to HMAS Australia. The NZ navy was established as a separate entity during WW2 and was loaned the Leander-class light cruisers HMNZS Achilles and HMNZS Leander by the RN. (These ships already being part of the NZ Division of the RN at the time.)

Australia I mate ;)

Both HMS New Zealand and HMAS Australia I were Indefatigable (modified) class BCs.

HMAS Australia II was the County-Class :) (and last to bear the name)

112 posts
1,431 battles

Some internet confusion regarding the pic in the OP.

I have seen the exact same pic attributed to HMNZS Achillies.

So is it a County or Leander class?

Beta Tester
486 posts
7,921 battles

Some internet confusion regarding the pic in the OP.

I have seen the exact same pic attributed to HMNZS Achillies.

So is it a County or Leander class?

Me too 

but checked the photos and they do look different

But hey not to leave New Zealand out, we did man a RN ship on loan from Great Britain, that would be cool to have a Leander Class Cruiser Achilles (even as a premium to recreate Battle of the River Plate)

ec5ef0c2-6a30-4a16-8702-d2905423f41d.jpg 

Edited by Kapitan_Zur_See_Hoffmann