You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
WorldConqueror86

Explain shooting/smoke in regards to detection

13 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
38 posts
1,057 battles

I know every ship has a range at which they are supposedly detected. How much does firing your main battery affect that? And same with smoke, does it give you a decrease to your detection range, or does it break line of sight, or what? Enemy destroyers seem to be able to fire at will while in smoke, and will only be detected for that split second they're actually firing. Whereas I drop smoke and don't fire and turn off AA guns while I'm trying to escape and still remain detected the whole time. If I can't outrun them and can't hide from them I don't have many options left.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

well my reward alpha cruiser just went 1 vs 1 with the RUSSIAN tier 5 dd.(that's currently in the shop). we both pop smoke, he can remain invisible and shoot at me from 7kms while I'm too busy trying to dodge each salvo. 3 of 4 shots hit every time, and the next salvo is in the air while the other is peppering you for damage. And I thought my reward ship was fast firing :( So obviously I wasn't invisible in my own smoke, although I have reward camo paint also, and the reduced visibility modification. I wasn't even shooting!.

Is that thing Op or what?. I literally couldn't even dodge, and was too busy trying to dodge to damage it, me and the other 7 on my team died while it finished the battle with half its HP left...

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Look up - planes give you away as well - if you don't turn your AA off you give away your position shooting at planes outside your spotting range

Beta Tester
38 posts
1,057 battles

Yeah I turn my AA off. Though I doubt my AA would ever shoot at anything outside my visual range, destroyers generally only have about 2km range on their AA as far as I can tell.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Yeah I turn my AA off. Though I doubt my AA would ever shoot at anything outside my visual range, destroyers generally only have about 2km range on their AA as far as I can tell.

Depends on the destroyer. Mutsuki and above have a 5km AA range. And most destroyers are visible from the air from 3km out.

Beta Tester
38 posts
1,057 battles

I'll see if I notice planes nearby in the future. But is there any hard data on what smoke actually does? Like "-20% to detection range" or something? Or does it just break LoS so you will drop off their radar after the normal time?

E: Just got the gun upgrade for the Mutsuki which does put the AA out to 5km. Never seen a main battery that doubles as AA.

Edited by WorldConqueror86

Beta Tester
66 posts

If you a still sailing the smoke will be behind you and if there is a ship or plane in front of you spotting you it will keep you lit. If you stop you will be in the smoke and line of sight will be broken. That's why you need to turn away from the enemy when you pop smoke

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

w723y1.jpg

1 minute photoshop and smoke explanation.

One thing to note is smoke will appears from the middle of your boat and spreads out.

Image 1. As you can seeeee, you ARE MOVING and the smoke is spread BEHIND YOU, SO YOU WILL GET SEEN. YOU NEED TO TURN 180, OR TURN FROM WHERE YOU CAME FROM TO BE OBSTRUCTED BY YOUR OWN SMOKE.

Image 2. Simple enough to understand. Smoke SPREADS from your middle, so over time, IT WILL COVER YOU.

Image 3. Same as Image 1, but this time, you are MOVING TOWARDS THE ENEMY. Something I didn't cover in Image 1 is, you will BLINK IN AND OUT. It's not really an advantage, so try not to YOLO using the smoke + dash method. It don't normally work unless the person can't aim. And yes, there are people who can't aim. Unless you are going up against those with the aim mod which still shows ships in smoke.

Edited by Umidoori

[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,298 battles

w723y1.jpg

One thing to note is smoke will appears from the middle of your boat and spreads out.

Image 1. As you can seeeee, you ARE MOVING and the smoke is spread BEHIND YOU, SO YOU WILL GET SEEN. YOU NEED TO TURN 180, OR TURN FROM WHERE YOU CAME FROM TO BE OBSTRUCTED BY YOUR OWN SMOKE.

Image 2. Simple enough to understand. Smoke SPREADS from your middle, so over time, IT WILL COVER YOU.

Image 3. Same as Image 1, but this time, you are MOVING TOWARDS THE ENEMY. Something I didn't cover in Image 1 is, you will BLINK IN AND OUT. It's not really an advantage, so try not to YOLO using the smoke + dash method. It don't normally work unless the person can't aim. And yes, there are people who can't aim. Unless you are going up against those with the aim mod which still shows ships in smoke.

Nice photoshop man, have you thought about a career in Special effects... jk :)

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

w723y1.jpg

Well with your info hopefully most people will know how to use their smoke now, then again most experienced cv captains will still send their fighters over to check and if they are like me will torp those stationary smokers. so it's still all down to luck and skill I guess